Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Interesting build and great job.
I have two in the stash but befor I can build them I need to find/make a glass topped coffee table to put them in.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Getting more plane like by the day Carl. That’s going to take some painting! Looks like we have the same weather as well....

First Name
Carl
Getting more plane like by the day Carl. That’s going to take some painting! Looks like we have the same weather as well....
Yep, I doubled up in the paint so I’m hoping it’ll be enough as I’m giving the MRP a go for this one and if I run out then I got to wait 5-7 days delivery which might get even more delayed depending on what happens with Brexit etc. Weather looks to be rain for the next week In gloucester so perfect for modelling I guess. My house is the very edge of our housing estate and I’m on the corner directly below a big hill so the plus side is I have a pretty unhindered view of fields and hull out my windows but the wind and rain hits my house pretty strong.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice job Carl. That primer has gone on smooth and tight hasn’t it....

First Name
Carl
Nice job Carl. That primer has gone on smooth and tight hasn’t it....
It’s a very fine & thin primer and you need to spray it at very low psi, like 10psi straight from the bottle or else you run out of paint after one wing-lol. Barry in this forum swears by this stuff so felt I needed to give it a go. Only negative is it is quite strong smelling compared to normal acrylic paints.

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sounds worth a look to me. Does it sand well after drying? I could never get on with stynilres type acrylic primers because I found they did sand well, making post-priming remedial work very hard to sort out.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Sounds worth a look to me. Does it sand well after drying? I could never get on with stynilres type acrylic primers because I found they did sand well, making post-priming remedial work very hard to sort out.
It sands perfectly. None better simply because it is so thin. No feathering or adhesion issues.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great info guys, I will invest in some next time I need primer.....

First Name
Carl
I managed to do the main painting over Christmas so she’s looking more like the Lancaster should look now.
First experience using MRP paints is that they go on lovely and leave an almost perfect finish. I also used some camo mask this time which Ive never tried before and they also worked a treat.
I have been experimenting with some subtle paint techniques under the main colours which I’m not sure went exactly as planned but they don’t appear to have in any way distracted from the overall finish. You might just be able to make out some slight shading on the wings under the camo? All in all I’m very pleased with how the paint turned out as clearly this is the make or break of any model build so I feel a bit more relaxed now it’s done.
Still plenty to do yet to complete such as wheels fitting, Bomb bay and bombs plays decors and possibly some weathering if I feel brave enough at the end.image.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

Ps: a little thanks to Barry for his help and advice during this build so far.

First Name
Carl
I’m undecided, I bought these additional Warbirds decors for the Lancaster and can’t decide which I prefer . There’s Victorious Virgin or Fanlight Fanny.
I think I know which one I prefer but let’s hear what others think please?
0F31FE8B-91DC-4DEB-8DF2-DD9833C81D19.jpeg