Tamiya 1/48 Douglas F4D-1 Skyray

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This caught my eye in the stash last week, and after finishing the HobbyBoss Lightning for the P-38 GB. I retrieved it for my next build. Not a very complex build, but nicely engineered in the Tamiya style.tamiya skyray (1).jpg

The pilot has gone AWOL, but I do have a small Eduard PE set, mainly to dress up the cockpit.
I'll put up some detail shots tomorrow - a lot of parts are off the sprues already, but nothing assembled.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The model dates from 1998 - it has nice engraved detail - a few sprue shots..................P1060507.JPGP1060506.JPGP1060515.JPGP1060512.JPG

The main airframe is split top & bottomP1060510.JPGP1060511.JPG

Cockpit isn't bad............P1060508.JPG

Detail isn't bad - state of the art in 1998!P1060509.JPGP1060516.JPG

Normal Tamiya instructions
P1060514.JPG

The Decal sheets are rather nice - I think I'm going to go with the boxtop finish.............P1060505.JPG

I have the small Eduard PE sheet
P1060513.JPG

Build options are folded wings, and extended/retracted slats - I'll see how things pan out
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a little edge clean up - 14 parts later - the main airframe is pretty completeP1060517.JPGP1060518.JPG
Assembly was just TET wicked into the joints. I'm making it with extemded wings & slats ( If you fold the wings, you have to retract the slats }. Looking to be a quick build ( so far )
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I like the look of US Navy planes of this generation — they manage to look at the same time sleek, quaint, futuristic and archaic.

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Dave good clean start, nice snug fit to, great looking decal sheet.
Hope you on the mend and feeling better.
Pete.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good looking bird this one......so following along....

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The office has the PE instrument panel fitted - very old school, all dials..........P1060519.JPG

The ejector seat, I guess is a Douglas model, looks different to the M-B seats. Just waiting for me to fit the seat belts....P1060520.JPG

I see no mention of nose weights in the instructions - there's plenty of room in the nose, so I'll add some as insurance...........
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
I can well understand how that box art caught your eye. Nice decals but some are rather large so hope they go on ok. I like the top/bottom body rather than the left/right one - less clean up of joins hopefully.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The top/bottom is engineered so that a lot of the joints are hidden - mainly behind the slat housings, but the fit is so good, that there is minimal clean up.
The decals may be a bit tricky, but I think that doing them more or less one at a time, allowing plenty of drying time between decals, and using a decal solution should be the best technique
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Yes, not many parts, and the fit so good, that it really fall together. When you consider it dates from 1998, it must have been really state of the art moulding then!
Dave

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice work so far Dave. The wing and tail section reminds me a little of the flying sub from Voyage to the bottom of the sea.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea started in 1964 - so no doubt the model makers had seen the Skyray......................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The nose, fuselage joined, and the inlets added - lust a little easing needed with a sanding stick, as it was a bit tightP1060526.JPG
I'll let this dry overnight, and it may need a little smoothing, with some fine emery paper, but no filler will be needed.
The control surfaces, underside, wheel wells, and undercarriage are all white, so I'm going to add as much as possible before using the white primer, and giving it an overall coat.
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That was quick Dave to this stage, looked to be very clean on the sprues.
I'm waiting for those decals.