Tamiya 1/48 F-14A Tomcat

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
IMG_0679.jpg
Not really a build thread...as it's Tamiya so pretty a straightforward, although an extremely extensive build. It's huge, even in 1/48, as Barry attests to on his 1/32 build...I can't imagine how big that one is. Airbrushing has been an exercise in itself.

Pics so far are pre-gloss before I wreck it with weathering attempts. I have loved every second of it up to now...everything seems to have gone right (famous last words). Some artistic license taken with the painting, but more or less going for the box art.

Cockpit:
IMG_0698.JPG
Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 17.23.04.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 17.23.47.png

Overall scheme: I primed in white, with a black panel line and blacked in a few of the panels completely. A few light coats of MRP Light Ghost Grey, and then masked off random panels and sprayed a different shade of grey to get the 'patchwork' effect, which I think has worked quite well. Then masked off the canopy and area round the cockpit for the black.
Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 17.24.41.png

IMG_0709.JPG
Undercarriage cover panels lined with a red sharpie
IMG_0712.JPG

Bit of detailing for the undercarriage. Pics I have seen show it being absolutely filthy, so hopefully weathering appropriate there.
Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 17.32.33.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 17.30.44.png

Stores to be added after weathering. The decals look pretty thick on these, even after several goes with Micro sol/set, so a bit nervous about the rest of them. Unfortunately on one of the missiles I applied the decals the wrong way round (Top and bottom, rather than left and right, if that makes sense).
IMG_0678 2.JPG
Just had a gloss coat, so need to exercise patience now and wait a couple of days before decals, and then the dreaded weathering.

Attachments

• IMG_0710.JPG
    IMG_0710.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 2

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Reallly nice work jack I just wish I could do wheathering an such like you have brilliant modelling
chris

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Reallly nice work jack I just wish I could do wheathering an such like you have brilliant modelling
chris
Thank you Chris. The only effects so far are the variation on the undercoat.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful work jack , the paint looks spot on to me , for some reason the grey tomcats always looked well knackered in photos , cheers tony

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Excellent modelling Jack :smiling3:.
The cockpit is stunning.
Thanks Ralph. Your 1/32 Spitfire is next up.
Beautiful work jack , the paint looks spot on to me , for some reason the grey tomcats always looked well knackered in photos , cheers tony
Thanks Tony...weathering to come, which I am a little nervous about, to knacker her up even more.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Really nice work Jack, great variation on the paint. :smiling3:

It really is a fantastic kit, I built the D version recently and enjoyed it so much I will also build the A at some point.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Jack
Cracking job of this :thumb2: The subtle panel variation is really impressive. I saw a few attempts on large scale planes at Telford last year and many were overdone - yours is really nice.
Jim

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Really nice work Jack, great variation on the paint. :smiling3:

It really is a fantastic kit, I built the D version recently and enjoyed it so much I will also build the A at some point.
Thanks Bob, I have enjoyed it immensely! I think the best produced kit I have made so far.

Hi Jack
Cracking job of this :thumb2: The subtle panel variation is really impressive. I saw a few attempts on large scale planes at Telford last year and many were overdone - yours is really nice.
Jim
Thanks Jim, a compliment indeed!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very very nicely done. You should be proud of your efforts.

Well done.

Andrew

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
The Tomcat looks great. It can only get better with a bit of weathering applied.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Thank you all for the kind compliments.

Decals done...took hours, but they more or less behaved themselves, and the micro sol seems to have done it's job. I am leaving it tonight, may go over with the sol again tomorrow if needs be, if not it will be varnish and then weathering.
IMG_0723.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG
?hash=d9cb785563eba9fbeec8687806d3b72d.jpgIMG_0725.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0726.JPG
    IMG_0726.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 0

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OH THE BONES I love the jolly Rodgers couler scheme as that's what ive got for my tomcat in a few yrs it will show up but this model is fantastic when will the cockpit maskin come off Jack ?
chris

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Jack,
That's a cracking result.
Thanks Scottie.
OH THE BONES I love the jolly Rodgers couler scheme as that's what ive got for my tomcat in a few yrs it will show up but this model is fantastic when will the cockpit maskin come off Jack ?
chris
Thanks Chris. I thought you would like the Nimitz version. Cockpit mask will be the very last thing to come off after weathering and final varnish.