Tamiya 1/48 F16C Aggressor

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning guys. :smiling3:

Been a while since my last update, mainly because this builds curse continues to haunt me. :worried:

Since my last post I had painted the three camo colours using the Aero Mask set from AMP. Their website states they are "as sticky as Tamiya tape", however when trying to remove them I found they were virtually welded to the surface. I slowly pulled each one up and found that they had left significant residue behind, as well as removing paint from the PE parts. Not something I've ever had from Tamiya tape!

IMG_20200424_201006.jpgIMG_20200424_201016.jpgIMG_20200424_201021.jpgIMG_20200424_201031.jpg

I tried soapy water to remove the residue, but that didn't touch it, and not wanting to use anything that would damage the paint resorted to odourless thinners. This worked, but involved using multiple cotton buds in small sections at a time. The thinner turned the residue into a less sticky gloopy mess that could then be picked up with a dry cotton bud. This took an age, to give you an idea one side of one wing took in excess of an hour. :tired:

I finished the clean up last night so it now looks like this.

IMG_20200427_210807_MP.jpgIMG_20200427_210819_MP.jpg

It's actually not too bad and I think can be recovered with some touching up. Luckily I had used Hataka acrylics over Mr Surfacer primer, I think if I had used acrylics I would have lost a lot more paint.

Last edited:

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Wow Bob, that looked like a real pain :astonished: , good to see you managed to fix it.
Looking good :thumb2:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Steven. :smiling3:

When I first got the masks off and saw the state of it I was ready to bin the whole lot, but I'm glad I stuck with the clean up.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Wow, that’s pretty bad … Good to see you persevered, though.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Woah. Kudos for the objectivity there. I can only imagine how fruity the language was when that happened!

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Well done on the clean up she's looking great.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great recovery bob , theres a lesson here , stay away from amp masks! Its an awful feeling when you peel off masking and it brings paint with it , the temptation to throw it against the wall is very strong!! Glad you rescued it though , its looking very tasty. Cheers tony

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Tony. :smiling3:

I've emailed Jim at AMP to let him know. He's on the other side of the pond so probably won't have seen it yet.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
excellent save bob,
i've never seen masks do this before though... strange..

if it helps.. i'm throwing together the Kinetic Sea Harrier, and to be honest it's fighting every step of the way...but i shall stick with it, it's cost me nearly £70 for all the bits and bobs...

p.s. here's how mine turned out.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Chris, nice Viper. :smiling3:

I've been having an email chat with Jim @ AMP, apparently the only time he's known of this before was with Hataka laquers, which I am also using. Maybe his vinyl and their paints don't mix?

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning chaps. :smiling3:

Paint repairs have gone well, and after a little bit of light sanding and polishing I think I will be ready for gloss and decals. There's a little bit of wear from the cotton bud/odourless thinners cleanup, and some slight variations in colour with the touch ups, but I think this actually works in my favour.

1.jpg2.jpg

I also painted up the missiles and ACMI pod, just need to do a little bit of detail painting on the AIM-9.

3.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
No signs of the previous trauma bob , it’s looking great now , cheers tony