Tamiya 1/48 F16C Fighting Falcon Block32

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
This kit has been sat in my cupboard for a couple of years now, complete with a few AM parts. I kept putting it off because of the canopy. For whatever reason Tamiya decided to mould it with a seam across the top. I was talking to swmbo about it and before she fell asleep with me going on about it, basically she said grow some and try. So here it is now hitting the bench.
EF56C0D7-6D88-4351-A4CD-D12060A2DD01.jpeg1C706D8F-264A-45D5-AB99-0634101408EB.jpegD6B3C04A-924C-4F14-9A96-0A7694AF32F5.jpegB328E2C8-24A6-4065-BC50-B0DE32F096AB.jpeg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks interesting Mick. Makes you wonder what Tamiya were thinking though…..doesn’t look that hard a canopy to mould? Agree with Colin ref polishing simplicity. Once you do it you’ll never go back. Car windscreens in particular look much more like glass once they are properly polished.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mick
Watching with interest. I have some of the Tamiya polishing paste - 3 tubes, different coarseness. It really works well. Use a blade to scrape down the seam line and then polish. I use a cotton swab. Takes time but works a treat. If you then dip the canopy in Klear it will sparkle.
Jim

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Hi Mick
Watching with interest. I have some of the Tamiya polishing paste - 3 tubes, different coarseness. It really works well. Use a blade to scrape down the seam line and then polish. I use a cotton swab. Takes time but works a treat. If you then dip the canopy in Klear it will sparkle.
Jim
That stuff seems to be hard to get at the moment

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
And it’s off , I started New Year’s Eve with a view to finishing it before the next one. I’ve started with the cockpit, the moulded details are very good if you have the eyesight and patience, I’ve opted for the easier route. The HUD section is only placed on as it’s fitted later, I’m also working on the ejection seat too. Next up the central undercarriage bay.
4BA6B308-CEC1-4567-93D3-AD4A4517DC07.jpeg

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Many of the Jet Folk will dis agree with me here,BUT.....
..... I`m sorry,but most Jets don`t seem to have any personality to me really :anguished:,they all had their time,and place,but (IMHO Just so bloody boring to look at!!:flushed:
Having said all that,i do have a liking for a few of the more recent ones,(Served with Tornados,617,then 13 Squadrons,during 1st gulf war ,out there for 8 mths),and LOVED the Harrier since pre Falklands days!!:thumb2:
Superb work on the early stages of this one,that`s for sure:cool: ,
Nice one Mick,
Andy

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Many of the Jet Folk will dis agree with me here,BUT.....
..... I`m sorry,but most Jets don`t seem to have any personality to me really :anguished:,they all had their time,and place,but (IMHO Just so bloody boring to look at!!:flushed:
Having said all that,i do have a liking for a few of the more recent ones,(Served with Tornados,617,then 13 Squadrons,during 1st gulf war ,out there for 8 mths),and LOVED the Harrier since pre Falklands days!!:thumb2:
Superb work on the early stages of this one,that`s for sure:cool: ,
Nice one Mick,
Andy
Harriers are the sexiest aircraft post-Spitfire (and Tempest, Typhoons (not modern) and others of their ilk) Yum, yum, pigs bums! :nerd:
Steve

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Coming on Mick. I admire the fact that you can place those instrument sections so well.

In reply to Mr Smith If I may Mick.
Wart hog for me sorry , flames and death:nerd:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As far as jets go the F16 was one of the better looking ones. Most are function over form but this one does have an elegance the is seldom seen in a paraffin burner.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hi Mick. Great start on the cockpit, looking forward to seeing more of this build. Re canopy seams, grab some fine grade sandpapers, the three Tamiya polishing compounds and you will be good to go. First time is anxiety inducing but it soon becomes just another step if required.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Hi Mick. Great start on the cockpit, looking forward to seeing more of this build. Re canopy seams, grab some fine grade sandpapers, the three Tamiya polishing compounds and you will be good to go. First time is anxiety inducing but it soon becomes just another step if required.
I'd love to try and get hold of some polishing compound but can only find it from abroad

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have never had to use any compounds for canopies. I sand them off with a fine sanding stick, then follow up with a 1000, then 2000 polishing pad. If need be I finish with 4000 and then a dip in the old Johnson clear.
It's a good idea to pack the canopy out with plasticine or the like. Follow the profile alternating both along and across the canopy.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I have never had to use any compounds for canopies. I sand them off with a fine sanding stick, then follow up with a 1000, then 2000 polishing pad. If need be I finish with 4000 and then a dip in the old Johnson clear.
It's a good idea to pack the canopy out with plasticine or the like. Follow the profile alternating both along and across the canopy.

This is what I did with my Tamiya F-16 canopy.. came out perfectly..

Reactions: JR

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
As above for the canopy.
One of my previous jobs sometimes had me polishing aircraft transparencies. I remember the training video polishing back and forth with one grade abrasive then changing grade abrasive and the direction of polish, this time a right angle and so on until finished.

Or just watch this video -

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm a complete novice when it comes to planes, so can't comment on "cannopy gate",HOWEVER,I CAN appreciate quality when I see it......
..... And that cockpit is the mutt's nuts Mick, superb stuff :smiling3:
Andy