Tamiya 1/48 F16C Fighting Falcon Block32

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
The cockpit is almost complete and the pilot is now in undercoat. The next section of the build involves the landing gear. I promised myself that when I eventually got round to tackling this project I did want to add a little more bling to it. I have an Eduard undercarriage set which includes hydraulics and various other embellishments. As you can see from the pic these are very fine indeed. Only one way to improve the skill set is to tackle things like this head on and magnifier on.
f16.jpg

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The cockpit is almost complete and the pilot is now in undercoat. The next section of the build involves the landing gear. I promised myself that when I eventually got round to tackling this project I did want to add a little more bling to it. I have an Eduard undercarriage set which includes hydraulics and various other embellishments. As you can see from the pic these are very fine indeed. Only one way to improve the skill set is to tackle things like this head on and magnifier on.
View attachment 442884

Mick, your skills are well up to this mate just take your time.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
You'll be Ok Mick, just look back at your Corsair. That turned out fantastic!!! This puppy will be a breeze for you and lotsa fun too. On a wing thingy trip I see and can't wait to see some more Sir..

Prost
Allen

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Mick
I’ll be following this. I’m interested to see what you make of the kit as this is yet another I have in the stash.

The cockpit looks excellent and I’m sure the Eduard details to the wheel bays will make all the difference.

Keep up the great work
Paul

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Work is still progressing on my build but as is normal in life there's always something which slows progress. The model builds up really nicely but that's Tamiya for you, one thing that slowed me was keep cross referencing with the PE instructions which resulted in me going on a bit too far and having to leave some bits out of the main wheel bay but it won't be noticed. the other thing slowing me down is working out the painting order of things, there's quite a bit I've already done as the parts become buried as the build progresses but we shall see. Here it is so far with several sub assemblies left off for painting.
f16 2.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking good Mick. The Falcon looks to be progressing really, really nicely.
On the subject of painting/build sequence I always find that, at the end of the build, I would have done certain things differently. But that’s hind sight for you. Builds get finished even if we don’t always take the quickest or most efficient path and the lessons learned can be applied if ever the same kit is built again.

Regardless, this F-16 is looking great
Paul

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Couldn’t put this off any longer, the canopy mould line. New blade in the knife, new sanding stick and off I went. I don’t know why I was so worried, ten minutes work and done. Time for paint now as most of the build is finished.
7175AD5E-9ABC-4FAB-8D99-147CFFFA1B7E.jpeg

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Couldn’t put this off any longer, the canopy mould line. New blade in the knife, new sanding stick and off I went. I don’t know why I was so worried, ten minutes work and done. Time for paint now as most of the build is finished.
View attachment 444687
Nicely done Mick. Just had a catch-up. That's coming on nicely.

Andrew

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Many thanks Allen and Andrew, first time I’ve ever had to do it but with a bit of encouragement don’t know what I was worried about, oh yes apart from breaking it and messing it up

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I don’t know why I was so worried, ten minutes work and done.
The problem now is that next time, you’ll mess it up completely ;)

At least, that’s usually how things go for me: first attempt goes fine, second is at best a failure, and the third then goes OK.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
The problem now is that next time, you’ll mess it up completely ;)

At least, that’s usually how things go for me: first attempt goes fine, second is at best a failure, and the third then goes OK.
Not so sure there’ll be a next time exactly for that reason

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
More prep work for painting but as I do all my spraying in the garage it will have to wait as the weather was horrid again today. Brush painted some bits and got the tail fin in base coat then remembered the nose bling that I had to add. Pilot tube and angle of attack probes fitted.
8BDFDF59-89EE-4C24-902E-185B37834FB0.jpeg
Please not that’s not a prominent join line I’ve missed, this is one of a series on the nose end which cleverly hides the join

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
As part of the build I’ve been watching a couple on YouTube to assist mainly with the painting. One of the modellers replaced the missiles with replacement resin ones as he didn’t want to be wasting time getting them smooth after assembly. I hadn’t really looked closely at the kit ones as they’re one of the last jobs. I dug them out and found they are actually solid pieces only requiring some fins attaching. As I had some resin in my stash I thought I’d build a couple up for comparison. The kit missiles are single moulded bodies whereas the resin ones need a nose cone and rear end plus all eight fins. Here are the two I built, kit one on the left, I think I’ll be sticking with them.
D782CB8F-DBD2-4919-99AC-A38C2AAFC4D1.jpeg