Tamiya 1/48 Kfz.69

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Hi all,

I've done a couple of models from this Military Miniatures series but they were fairly quick, simple things. This one has a little more to it (including 6 figures :flushed:), and since I have nothing else to build I thought I'd bore you all with a blog of it.

A1We68P.jpg

If you wish, the sprue shots can be seen below

Figures

PAK & main chassis

Wheels, suspension, front end

Rear body parts

First job in the instructions was the assemble the rear body, with benches for the troops and ammo boxes

FmQegac.jpg

Then to the rear suspension, which is quite detailed for the scale

BEJsLrg.jpg

Chassis, suspension and exhausts brought together with rear body

eUrJwzd.jpg

Then the pit

lhWMG8E.jpg

And finally the front end, grille and windscreen

dtbudTQ.jpg

These were all dry fitted, but I haven't glued the sub assemblies together to make painting easier

zVz3nQy.jpg

The gun was also a quick job to build

hTYQo5t.jpg

It was all stripped back down and all parts were given a coat of primer, including the accessories, then the gun and main body received a coat of Mr Color German grey, to act as a base.

wG980iB.jpg

After our daily stroll around the exercise yard I mixed up a lighter version of the colour from Model Air German and Medium greys to start building up layers with some highlights

HadSzrh.jpg

More to come tomorrow, but a decent days work I think.

Notice the figures are still in the box lol, I might pluck up the courage soon....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Certainly not hanging about with this. I'm building a 1/48 Tamiya kit at the moment and the only awkward bit was getting the figures to fit naturally. I don't know if this kit has a similar issue but worth checking.
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Paul, and thanks for the heads up Jim.

There's a mish mash of limbs so that each figure can have a different pose. I'm pretty sure that's going to cause me some issues anyway lol

Initial thoughts were to start with the driver then work around one by one. I might not end up with all 6 fitting well but then that'll mean there's less of them to paint!:smiling5:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Andy, This is a far departure from BBQ's and beach umbrellas. I'll follow, as I have a couple of these (in a much smaller scale) in the stash. Perhaps watching your efforts will motivate me to do something with these. Rick H.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks chaps. I won't be going all out on this, it's more of a filler until my next kit turns up, but it'll be good for experimenting on.

It's already made my mind up that I really want a proper dual action trigger airbrush. I put the primer and base colour on with my Bartsharp 116B and found it so much easier to control. I guess it's just what I'm used to, but the fact that it's only single action makes fine details a bit of a pain.

I'd also like one that I could use a fan pattern cap on for larger areas, but they tend to need a lot more air than any airbrush compressor can produce. It's a minefield :smiling5:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I have been using the same Pasche VL dual action siphon feed airbrush since I got back into scale modeling. Over 40 yrs. now. It's been a breeze to use and has given very little trouble. I have never seen an airbrush equipped with a fan pattern air cap although, there are some pretty small cup guns out there but with no dual action trigger......Yep, it's a minefield.

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Rick. I've found a temporary solution by hacking up the Bartsharp and turning it into a dual action!

It's hard to describe but I modified the section that actuates the needle. By modify I mean I chopped the end off with a hacksaw :smiling5: I now get air only when I first pull the trigger, then as I pull back more the paint starts to flow, just like the spray guns I'm used to.

I've lost the last little bit of needle travel, but I can't remember ever pulling the trigger fully back on any of my airbrushes, except when cleaning. Even with the 0.2 H&S I hardly need to breath on the trigger to get plenty of paint out.

This is a diagram of a Neo so not quite the same, but part number 13 is the one I shortened. They refer to it as a needle chucking guide

iwata-neo-trn2-airbrush.jpg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Right! Dual action now. Enjoy your new toy! Rick H.

D

Deleted member 7181

In other news I've put the motley crew together in a fashion, and given them a blast of flesh colour. They resemble something out of a horror movie with all their disjointed limbs but it's the best I could do.

EPBHsJV.jpg

I also tried to give the body an acrylic wash but that didn't come out well either. Lots of tidemarks everywhere. I could strip it off but that would remove all the shading work I did too. Not that it matters too much as it looks horrific as it is so anything would be an improvement lol

r02nCSS.jpg

TH0rUIn.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Tamiya is going cheap these days … that’s the same figures as in Jim’s SS-100 gun tractor.

D

Deleted member 7181

Figures look slightly better with a bit of filling, sanding and some colour on. A bit more work to do on these, especially the guy on the left! He looks like a zombie, but somehow my camera picked him up on facial recognition :smiling5:

I tried for a bit of variation in the uniforms by adding greys, yellows and 4B0 to the base Field Grey. It's not quite as pronounced as I'd hoped but I can hopefully tweak it with the oil work. It's a pity the driver is so out of focus as I've tried to give him the hairy arm look!

KQEM9he.jpg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Andy, it is obvious to me, the differences in uniform colors and I prefer it subtle that way. If you get them too far apart it may end up looking like a bunch of "Circus Clowns":thinking:........easy does it. Beautiful work so far and in that scale you get a Tip 'O the Hat! Rick H.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Brave man tackling figures, that's why I never buy a model with figures, looking good though.

Andy.

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Andy. I've never been happy with any of my figures so I "figured" the best thing was to get some practice in :smiling3:

Plus it was something to do while I couldn't touch the vehicle. I like the effects that can be created with oils but I haven't got the patience to wait for them to dry lol

D

Deleted member 7181

Well getting the fellas in the back was a bit of a squeeze, no wonder I've seen a few of these built with some figures omitted!

But after a few rounds of musical chairs, a couple of shaved elbows, and a total disregard for social distancing, they are all in. The guy at the back still doesn't look too chirpy mind, probably because the spare wheel is crushing his foot.

BmKr6PF.jpg

6WM6WaP.jpg