Tamiya 1/48 ME 262 A-1a #61087

T

-tmm-

Just finished my ME-262 and although it doesnt compare with some of the builds on this site, I think this is the best I have built to date. Really happy with it, aside from a couple of niggles.

I chose to paint it as "Green 1" flown by Major Rudolf Sinner - in my innocence thinking it was the easiest of the options I had. Turned out, masking the stripes was harder than I thought. Anyway, I'm pleased with the results, but am more than happy to listen to any comments or criticisms you all may have :smiling3:

Probably should have done this as the current photo group build, but nevermidnd. Here's the original:

And my attempt:

I should note that the brush marks seem quite pronounced in the closeups, but dont really show "in real life".

Chris

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Chris

I think you do yourself a disservice, this is a great build and looks fabulous. You are (and should be) justifiably proud of the finished model and it is a great representation of the original aircraft.

I've got two 262s in the stash and this makes me want got on with the builds! (so many kits so little time - aaaghh!)

Nice work

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nice job. I like the Me262 (it's the only jet I ever do myself) and you've made a lovely job of this one.

Quite a man Sinner. He started off as an artillery man in the Austrian army and finished up with thirty nine victories and a Deutches Kreuz. He was shot down twelve times and wounded five times. He was one of those instrumental in "busting" the fraudulent over claimers of JG 27 in North Africa.

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Chris, I think you're being unfair on yourself. Just about anybody would be pleased to have something that good on their display shelf! I know I certainly would.

Gern

T

-tmm-

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

I have to say I have enjoyed building this kit more than any other. I am even tempted to have a go at the clear version they do.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated. I have to say I have enjoyed building this kit more than any other. I am even tempted to have a go at the clear version they do.
Chris, if you really want to have a go at another Me262, you could do a lot worse than try one of the Trumpeter versions in 1/32.

Gern

T

-tmm-

I just saw a review of the Trumpeter 1/32 kit and it looks pretty decent. However, as a brush painter I fear that going large on the kit will be more difficult to get a good finish. I struggle at 1/48 as it is.

I think if I go for a 1/32 I'll probably start with a Mustang or Thunderbolt to see how I'm getting on. At least I know what I'm doing with USAAF stuff :smiling3:

I built a 1/24 Hurricane back in the day (I was about 12 I think) and me and my Dad worked on it together - the painting is where I gave up and it never got finished. I think all I had to do was the underside. Such a waste. :sad:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi chris, looks excellent to me mate. The brush marks in the matt varnish dont look bad at all ,as you say the close up photo probably makes them seem more pronounced than they are. Which varnish did you use by the way? Maybe a different matt varnish would give a smoother finish. Top job , keep it up ,cheers tony

T

T. van Vuuren

I like it!

You acheived tw major aspects of modleing with this build.

1. You had fun. (we sometimes work so hard to get it perfect that the fun factor goes out the window)

2. You learned something from the build.

SO well done.

I will be starting my Tamiya 262 soon , did you find any hassles with the build???

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Chris, if you really want to have a go at another Me262, you could do a lot worse than try one of the Trumpeter versions in 1/32.Gern
Seconded. It's a good representation of an Me262 and a very nicely engineered kit.

Steve

T

-tmm-

Again, thanks for the comments :smiling3:

\ said:
Which varnish did you use by the way?
The varnish I used was humbrol matt...any reccomendations? I think it possibly has to do with the brush I used more than the varnish itself. I need to get a new one.

\ said:
I will be starting my Tamiya 262 soon , did you find any hassles with the build???
Most of the build was absolutely fine. The only problems I had was with the undercarriage. The nose wheel bay is a big lump of metal, and you are required to put the undercarriage in before putting the fuselage together. I was very worried during the whole build that I would break it off (I usually like to put the undercarriage on last if possible). I actually did break the nose wheel but it was actually after the whole thing was finished. The main undercarriage was also a bit tricky to fit, but no worse than some other kits I have done.

All the parts fitted together really well and I dont think I used any filler at all. All in all, a great kit.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Very nice job. Great work using only brushes. Nice one

Colin M.........