Tamiya 1/48 P-38 Lightning

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Pete. I've got plenty of the actual cockpit but it's the area behind the pilot where the radios are that I'm particularly interested in, so I can get an idea how the wiring should look.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks again Pete, will have a look through those when I get a minute.
Searching various combinations of P38 & radio was just giving me loads of R/C pictures!

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Pete, a couple there that are useful thanks.

The gear looks very different to how tamiya has represented it anyway so I think I'll just use a bit of artistic licence.

D

Deleted member 7181

My condition has flared up again so I'm on a liquid only diet for a while to give my gut a rest. This has made me a bit foggy headed so I've left the fiddly details of seat belts and wiring for now and moved on with construction.

Front gear bay was next on the list, which fits to a central spar that helps align and strengthen the fuselage and wing joints. All the parts were given a blast of silver before assembly and the khaki piece at the back (I've no idea what it is!) was masked and sprayed too. It'll get livened up with some weathering at a later stage, when I do the main landing gear bays.

IfA7Tvj.jpg

Flipping that over we add it to the lower fuselage. You can see the wheel hump that forms part of the cockpit floor, and one of the 3 ball bearing weights. The fit is so precise on these parts that glue is almost an afterthought. The BB had a few drops of CA to make sure it doesn't rattle around.

cwbiOCe.jpg

Then everything was brought together with the top fuselage section/cockpit and the wing leading edge sections, ailerons, and wing tips were added. Again, fit is nigh on perfect with no ambiguity on positioning and some of the joints between parts become panel gaps that exactly match the ones already scribed in. Very impressive.

muLka5Q.jpg

I then moved on to the turbochargers. There are two different versions in the kit for the F or G, and of course the early ones I'm doing are slightly more difficult. Construction is easy enough but painting will be a challenge as some parts are body coloured, some not, and some both lol. It wouldn't be too bad if I were brush painting them in a straight colour but I'd like to add a bit of texture and wear to the turbo housings themselves so it will take a bit of faffing about. I've pretty much got a plan but will give it another coat of thinking once my head clears a bit.

Y9launf.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great progress andy , i get the feeling that even though youre a bit under the weather at the moment ,youre really enjoying this kit . cheers tony

D

Deleted member 7181

Absolutely Tony. I like the way everything just fits together so well, and how much thought must have gone into the design. Even down to some sprue gates which seem like they're in a weird position but you realise that it's been put there so if you're ham-fisted with cleaning it up it's going to be hidden by something else anyway. I can see why Barry W loves the big Tamiya birds so much.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
That is looking good Andy. Hope you feel better soon.
Pete

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Very nice Andy great updates and I like the box art

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Pete. I seem to have had one illness after another lately. Hopefully I'm getting them all out of the way for the year :smiling3:

Cheers Lee. I like that colour scheme too and am looking forward to getting some paint on it, although not the subsequent weathering lol

D

Deleted member 7181

Early morning update before popping out to do some DIY for the in-laws.

After ruminating over the turbos last night I settled on a plan. After black primer the turbo parts were painted in a custom mix of burnt iron, red-brown and red. The intake parts were given a mixture of silver & steel. All Mr Color

cW583Re.jpg

And this is how they will be fitted. You can just see that I've also drilled out the bare plastic scoops either side of the intake.

22fFTKT.jpg

And the plan for painting - temporarily attach the starship enterprise looking bit so I only have minimum masking to do, then add the rest after. I know I could just add all this after but I don't want the currently primed portion to look noticeably different to the surrounding panels so want to paint & weather it in situ.

t6UysJR.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great work Andy. It's a good idea to spend a bit of time on the exhausts as they do have a prominent position on the P38.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Colin. Yes, they couldn't be more in your face really.

I started work on the booms this afternoon, which starts with the landing gear bays. It looked like it would be a mission to paint them complete so I built up a few sub assemblies and gave them a coat of silver as a starter.

tAHLN1u.jpg

I did some of the detail painting while I had good access then started delicately gluing things together

eITPfQk.jpg

Plenty of details which should stand out nicely after a wash. The macro function on my phone is playing havoc with the colours and reflections but they are much more consistent in reality.

ZQ5hNkW.jpg

eQheCeW.jpg

I also put the oil coolers together. The instructions called out for Neutral Grey inside (virtually the colour of the plastic) but I decided to go with black primer. That way as I paint the exterior some will blow into this area but leave a natural shadow, which I think will look more realistic. I did paint the grilles, even though I don't think they'll ever be seen.

UFm5qJt.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
That cockpit is stunning - lovely neat work. You should be pleased with the wheel wells.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy , hats off to you with these photos, they are so sharp , brilliant.
Some very neat work there as well , hope you are feeling better.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm well chuffed.

And yes, after a few days on liquids the searing pain has gone so hopefully I've avoided another hospital visit. I'm told if I get more than 5 or 6 of these "attacks" this year then surgery will be on the cards, but with the risks involved my consultant would rather me grin and bear it as long as possible! I've been prescribed enough pain killers to down a herd of elephants but I'm reluctant to rely on them, I'd rather know what's going on.

John, I'm still feeling my way around my new phone. I recently got the Huawei P30pro which has arguably the best camera on the market, especially for macro work. I haven't even tried the high definition 40MP mode yet, these are just "standard", but I'm beginning to get to grips with it.

D

Deleted member 7181

Hi Colin - Mr Color C-159 Super Silver.

It's one of their car colours, and the 2 denotes that it needs a clearcoat for full effect. However, well thinned with levelling thinner (~ 1 paint : 1.5 MLT) it goes on pretty glossy by itself and I'm thinking of using it on one of the drop tanks to simulate a BMF replacement.

H&S Infinity, 0.4mm. Didn't check the pressure but it was probably around 20, I just adjust until it comes out as I want. Sprayed with the automotive "grip and rip" technique - a light coat straight onto the bare plastic for adhesion and to break the surface tension, then a good wet flowing coat.

I've since given them a coat of gloss (very well thinned MrC GX-100) as it's time for a wash. It would probably be okay as it is but since this is usually the time I mess things up I wanted as much help as I could get! Everyone else seems to make washes look so easy but they have been a real nightmare for me :smiling5: