Tamiya 1/48 Tiger

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
This seems a fitting subject for the GB. It'll be OOB, which isn't how Simon would have built it, but he was a modeller, I just glue bits of plastic together!
P1160025.JPG
I might have to try making some Zimmerit though, there's none on the kit parts although it is shown on the box art. We'll see how brave I feel when I get to that stage.
There are 6 sprues, with some nicely detailed parts:
P1160026.JPGP1160027.JPGP1160028.JPGP1160029.JPGP1160031.JPG
I thought at first the silver cylinders in the last bag were batteries, but they're actually weights. According to the box, that will give the model "a realistically heavy feel".
Now, what can I do before Nov 1?
Pete

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Pete. That’s a nice kit I build the Early Tiger and it fit nicely. Only thing I had trouble with was I wasn’t watching what I was doing when I put the wheels on. This was my first Tiger and I didn’t do my Homework on it but I got it right in the end. You will have fun with it

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I had a long chat with Simon once about the origins of Zimmerit. It was certainly made up of a lot of stuff. This is a great kit and I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes together. Does it have that slab of metal you put in the base on Tammys 1/48 stuff??

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Steve, the Haynes manual for the Tiger has the recipe for the original Zimmerit, but I won't be using that!
There isn't a slab of metal, but 4 steel cylinders about the size of an AAA battery.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, I've had a try at representing zimmerit with various materials, without success. Zimm was supposed to be applied 6 mm thick, so in 1/48 it should be 0.125mm, about the thickness of thickish paper. I've tried PPP, PVA mixed with plaster, and Tippex as well as various paints, but it either won't stick, or won't hold the pattern.
Anyone have any suggestions before I chicken out and buy the Tamiya etch?
Pete

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Pete, doing zimmerit is something Simon would have done so you're in it even if its OOB.
Try two part putty. Mix just little beads at a time and just paste in small sections, flatten with your fingers or roll with a moist tooth pick then using anything thats flat and thin and the right width to stab the zimmerit pattern working from top to bottom. You can do it.

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
If you're in the UK I've had some success with scuffing up the base with sandpaper, coating it in a thin coat of No More Nails and then using a short piece of junior hacksaw blade (32 teeth per inch), so scribe the pattern. Make sure you leave it a good 24 hours or more to dry. As an FYI it seems to respond well to thin poly cement e.g TET.

Good luck.

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Pete, like the others said, have a go with the Zimm. I did it in 1/87 scale with Tammy putty. I used the Tammy rake as it was finer than the finest hacksaw blade I could find.....with a bit of practice you should do fine. Rick H. :thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I'm assuming that the Zimm you have ordered is PE. I have seen resin sheets as after market zimm. Not sure how that would work. It will be interesting to see how you get on.
Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I'm not sure if the Tamiya Zimm is PE, or something else - maybe stickers. We shall see...
The front drive sprockets and the idler wheels are held on with poly caps, so they're removable. I think this means that I can build up the track and wheel assemblies and then remove them for final painting, which will certainly make painting a lot easier.
P1160035.JPG
I should've checked my paint stocks earlier - I wanted to use Tamiya paints, but I don't have any Dunkelgelb, and of course the shops are shut for lockdown. I'm too mean to pay for postage, so the dark yellow parts will be done with Vallejo. Actually according to the Haynes/Bovington book on the Tiger, the colours should be RAL 8000 Gelbbraun and RAL 7008 Graugrun, but I don't have either of those so I'm going to go with the scheme in the instructions. I'll need to mix up some paint for the tracks too. I think the last tracks I painted were done with a mixture of a metallic grey with some red-brown mixed in.
Anyway, here are the wheels dry-fitted:
P1160032.JPG
Must have been great fun replacing an inner road wheel in the field!
There's some nice detail on the upper hull:
P1160033.JPGP1160034.JPG
Hi Pete

Have a look at nightshift on YT, excellent video on zimm
Thanks Bob, he makes a good job of it using two-part Tamiya putty and Trumpeter tools, none of which I have! I might be able to make the roller from an old cig lighter wheel, but not the stamp. That Tamiya putty seems to have a good long working time, the fillers I've tried set too quickly.

Thanks for watching,
Pete

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Pete. Nice updates I really like these 1/48 Tammy kits one reason they are more accurate than the old 1/35 ones

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Pete I shall join the gang. I used some filler for Zimn, even got the Trumpeter tools. Hard enough in 1/35, so think you've done the right thing buying the PE with that scale
Normally when I came on at this time (its just gone01:19) Simon was usually around and we'd be the only members on line , going to feel strange now .