Tamiya 1/48th Scale Spitfire Mk Vb

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I think this is the last update in this thread. I've been asking around and doing a lot of googling and a lot of what I'm seeing is that the humbrol gloss is the cause here.
I'm not sure if it is or isn't but that's what I've been told and what I've read in various places.

I don't plan on doing any more work on this model but I will keep it and use it for testing paint/camo etc. Which is marginally better than it being binned.
as for what i'm doing next, not sure. amusingly I have 3 kits coming to me on wednesday for my birthday.

I will do another kit, just not sure what right now. However I wish to thank all of you for all the help and support you've giving me. See you all in the next one.
That's the spirit Steve... NEVER GIVE UP... you just never know when things will just "Klick"!!
Keep your chin up mate, you're learning invaluable lessons which will all add to making you a better modeller ;) ....
.. I look forward to seeing your next adventure :thumb2:.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I think this is the last update in this thread. I've been asking around and doing a lot of googling and a lot of what I'm seeing is that the humbrol gloss is the cause here.
I'm not sure if it is or isn't but that's what I've been told and what I've read in various places.

I don't plan on doing any more work on this model but I will keep it and use it for testing paint/camo etc. Which is marginally better than it being binned.
as for what i'm doing next, not sure. amusingly I have 3 kits coming to me on wednesday for my birthday.

I will do another kit, just not sure what right now. However I wish to thank all of you for all the help and support you've giving me. See you all in the next one.
Nice one Steve. You now have a test bed to experiment with. I use a piece I cut off a sheet of plastic I procured to make something for my Sea King.
Looking forward to your next one. Hopefully it won't fight back.
Oh and Happy birthday for Wednesday. (In case I miss it)

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Been modeling off/on for 70 years. Have set it aside many times, but never for long. Usually for lack of time, but if lack of mojo I just went to a different subject. I even did a couple ships back in the day. Small scale aircraft go together fast and are good for developing finishing skills. Figures are also, but a bit trickier. HTHs.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike

First, Happy Birthday for Wednesday....

And all together....
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Bread and butter in the gutter,
Happy Birthday to you.......
(Big cheers and bumps to follow)..

Getting back to the less serious stuff, good, you have made a decision, and you have more than likely discovered the villian (Humbrol). I have had some disasters with Humbrol, expecially when they changed their paint formula from paint to Pinapot. I must have bought ten tins of the same colour before the penny dropped and back then it was only the model magazines that came out once a month that kept you informed. There were a lot of modelmakers at the monthly club meetings scratching their heads in frustration.

Yes keep the model for testing purposes, and once that has been thoroughly covered and no further use, then buy a bag of 100 white plastic spoons (Azon, dirt cheap) for your testing.

Looking forward to your next build and further success...
Mike.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Been modeling off/on for 70 years. Have set it aside many times, but never for long. Usually for lack of time, but if lack of mojo I just went to a different subject. I even did a couple ships back in the day. Small scale aircraft go together fast and are good for developing finishing skills. Figures are also, but a bit trickier. HTHs.
That is why after the MAFVA Nationals in June I will be putting the armour aside for a time and getting out some of those wingy things for a change, so get ready for the tears....