Tamiya 1:72 Focke Wulf 190 A-3

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Strange how things turn out. I wasn't really planning to start a new build so soon after my Fury, but, the wife is away for the weekend, daughter No.2 tends to only come out of her room for feeding, so I was sort of on my own.
So, what to do ? Well after two 'vintage' Airfix kits in a row I decided to try something a bit easier. I reached for the oldest model in the stash, I bought this years ago and just never got around to building it. The little 1:72 Tamiya FW 190 A-3.
It's a modern Tamiya, so the details is very good.

It doesn't take long to gat a bit of paint on the various bits and pieces.

Just an example of Tamiya's detail.

Fuselage and engine bits are quickly dealt with. The cockpit slides in from underneath.

Speaking of the 'pit, here it is. Decals are provided for the IP, but I decided not to use them. They would be out of site and a real pain to settle over that nicely detailed surface.

Tamiya did provide a harness decal, even though they are quite awful, I decided to use it as it will never be seen again anyway. It curled up badly. I hope this isn't a warning for the rest of the decals.
So, out with the tape for some very basic straps. As you can see, I really didn't make much of an effort here.

It didn't take too long to get to this stage. I like 1:72.

And finally for now, a bit of primer, nicely highlighting Tamiya's detail in this little 1:72 kit. And this takes me to Sunday morning.

D

Deleted member 7181

That looks like a nice little kit, going together quickly!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’ve only built one Tamiya 1/72 scale aircraft, and had the same thoughts about the instrument panel decals: they look nice, but the detail on the plastic looks a lot nicer, and you’ll never get the former to settle over the latter. And I agree about liking 1/72 scale for aircraft models too :smiling3:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I built this kit with my son and it was a joy to go together. Looking great so far Colin

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That looks like a nice little kit
These little Tamiya's are nice little things. I'll have to try more.
I admire your speed Colin
The wife is home. Things have slowed down a bit.

However, some progress has been made. The little 190 has all been painted.

As ever, the lighter underside was painted first. Well, after the yellow !

Top side RLM75 painted first, then masked off.

Then RLM75 applied, a day or so later.

All finished with a tiny bit of mottling, most of which will be lost under the decals !

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
From a flying start, things have slowed a little, but not totally stopped. The gloss coat was applied.

Followed by the decals. These were quite old, but generally behaved themselves. Swastika's were included in the kit.

So now, the bit I love. Weathering. I just can't really do a clean bird. Having said that, my last build the 'Fury' was quite clean, so I'm allowed some 'expression' with this one.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful work colin and fast ! My recent build rate is snails pace , maybe i should pack the mrs off for the weekend , any suggestions ? ! Cheers tony