Tamiya BMW R75/ sidecar

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Started today, not getting far, as it seems that every bit has got to have the flash/mold seams scraped, so slow going!
Fit of the parts seem to be fine, though locating pins/holes are sloppyIMG_20210222_195311036.jpg
Engine together, will be getting the paints out next, as a lot of it isn't accessable after assembly.
IMG_20210222_195817891.jpg

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
I'm also 'doubtful' regarding some of the Tamiya colour suggestions/kit omissions:-
Front wheel blanking plate - given in the instructions as 'Flat White' - these plates were probably either steel or Aluminium
Front fork sliders - no mention of them, but they were probably steel coloured (or scratched up) as especially on an outfit, the forks tend to flex a bit! (Specially if ridden 'enthusiastically' :tongue-out3: )
No sidecar 'triangulation' stays (Zvezda do include them) so will have to 'play' with some sprue.

Daresay that I'll come across more as I go through!

Last edited:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
That'll teach me - just went to the paint box, and at some point over the past 10+ years (last time I did a model!) the 'Polished Steel' has dried right out and the only 'Silver' I've got is 'Chrome Silver' (could have sworn I'd got at least half a tin of 'Silver'!), so a slight hiatus while I order some paints!

Order put into the forum shop for paints & some jerry cans (might as well bulk it out a little!)

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
A second coat will fix that fine. Acrylics often don’t cover fully on the first go if you brush them on, but just wait until the paint is hard and put on another coat.

Well, that is, as long as you’re not using LifeColor paint, which will still need about three more coats after that.

• Love
Reactions: JR

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice start Gerry.

ATB.

Andrew

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
A second coat will fix that fine. Acrylics often don’t cover fully on the first go if you brush them on, but just wait until the paint is hard and put on another coat.

Well, that is, as long as you’re not using LifeColor paint, which will still need about three more coats after that.
I'm using the old Humbrol & Airfix enamels that I've got sitting in 'the paint box' - haven't 'moved up' to acrylics yet!:upside::smiling5: Though to be fair to them, a good stir, and they seem to be back to how they were in the first place when new - not bad for getting on for 20 year old paints (quite possibly a lot older!) just my shaky hands and eyesight that are the problem!
The other problem is the old brushes have gone a little 'fuzzy', so will probably 'bind' or trim them to get back 'tight' - though my two 'detail' brushes are fine (2 hairs on each so that they act like a fountain pen nib).
Still, at least I can practice on the 'out of sight' bits!;)

Nice start Gerry.

ATB.

Andrew
Thanks, just got to get the 'modelling head' on & some batteries (AG10s) for the magnifying specs.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I'm using the old Humbrol & Airfix enamels that I've got sitting in 'the paint box' - haven't 'moved up' to acrylics yet!:upside::smiling5:
Ah, I thought you were using acrylics :smiling3: But yeah, enamels, especially Humbrol’s, will last just about forever. I have tins I bought in the 1980s that work fine, and some (5–10 or so) years ago I bought a supply that dated from the 1970s, which are also still perfectly good — provided you stir them for what feels like hours first :smiling3:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Ah, I thought you were using acrylics :smiling3: But yeah, enamels, especially Humbrol’s, will last just about forever. I have tins I bought in the 1980s that work fine, and some (5–10 or so) years ago I bought a supply that dated from the 1970s, which are also still perfectly good — provided you stir them for what feels like hours first :smiling3:
Hate to think how old some of those paints of mine are - started doing models about '72(?) and you don't use much 'flesh' paint - and there's a tin of olive drab in the box - can't remember the last time that I did an 'Allied' model! :thinking:

• Wow

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You can date Humbrol paints fairly well by what is printed on the tin, and the numbering on the lid. If the colour numbers include letters, like HU-1, then it’s probably 1970s or earlier, as the tins I bought in the early 1980s when I started building models, only had numbers.

Wow, I just found this site that explains the dates of the different tins. I think in that batch of old paint I bought, I have some from the early to mid 60s, even. Most appear to be 1970s, though.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
You can date Humbrol paints fairly well by what is printed on the tin, and the numbering on the lid. If the colour numbers include letters, like HU-1, then it’s probably 1970s or earlier, as the tins I bought in the early 1980s when I started building models, only had numbers.

Wow, I just found this site that explains the dates of the different tins. I think in that batch of old paint I bought, I have some from the early to mid 60s, even. Most appear to be 1970s, though.
Jakko nice to see such a international collaboration, nerds supreme.:nerd:

Sorry Gerry butting in.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry

@Jakko looks like the earliest Humbrol that in a quick look I've got is around '93, so not as early as I thought. Have got a couple of 'JP' colours - not sure where they came from - I can't find any mention on the web about them! Still, the main thing is that they still work! My Airfix are post glass bottles though. :thumb2: ;)
Jakko nice to see such a international collaboration, nerds supreme.:nerd:

Sorry Gerry butting in.
Don't be sorry, always room for a bit of banter!

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Slowly getting the skills back, happy with the gear change lever knob (just waiting for the polished steel to arrive for the rest of it), and how the sidecar is turning outIMG_20210223_220428540.jpg
IMG_20210223_220443997.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
@Jakko looks like the earliest Humbrol that in a quick look I've got is around '93, so not as early as I thought.
It’s still the paint from before they switched to the improved (yeah, right) “Super Enamels”, so you should be OK with it.

Have got a couple of 'JP' colours - not sure where they came from - I can't find any mention on the web about them!
Never heard of that brand, I think.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
It’s still the paint from before they switched to the improved (yeah, right) “Super Enamels”, so you should be OK with it.

Never heard of that brand, I think.
Got some of the "Super Enamel", but not looked at that yet! At least I don't think that I've any of the 'Chinese' humbrol!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’s not actually bad paint, but I prefer the older Humbrol from before the switch. ISTR that the main difference is that the pigment in the Super Enamels is finer, but I don’t think it brushes as well as the older type.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Slowly getting to look like a motorbike :tears-of-joy:
IMG_20210225_175834255.jpg
The clothes peg (that you can just see at the top left is for holding the tweezers as I haven't got lockable ones (yet!). The tins are to stop the bits from migrating!

Last edited:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Oh well, the pillion hand hold has decided to take a holiday - tweezers holding it too hard & it took flight - my fault, should remember to hold gently with tweezers:angry: (for the second time - first time, I found it as I heard it land, this time I didn't!) So to 'plan B' - would've been a handy place to hang a helmet off anyway! :smiling6: Mind you, it may still come out of hiding :thinking:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good work so far Gerry. Ive always liked this kit. Wish they’d update it to be honest.
Interesting sidebar regarding humbrols as well. I know I’ve got some back to at least 1972 that are still useful. I’ll check them against the site Jakko has flagged if I remember, because I may have some that are older. The 1990s ones I own are easier to date. Sad man that I am I used to scratch the date on the lids when I bought them..
The JP colours are Joy enamels I think. Bit of a rare bird compared to Airfix and Humbrols.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Good work so far Gerry. Ive always liked this kit. Wish they’d update it to be honest.
Interesting sidebar regarding humbrols as well. I know I’ve got some back to at least 1972 that are still useful. I’ll check them against the site Jakko has flagged if I remember, because I may have some that are older. The 1990s ones I own are easier to date. Sad man that I am I used to scratch the date on the lids when I bought them..
The JP colours are Joy enamels I think. Bit of a rare bird compared to Airfix and Humbrols.
It's an old kit anyway - bought it for a grand sum of £5.50 from 'Model Zone' when they had a shop in Ipswich (price ticket on the box).
As I said - I've no idea where they came from - they're colours I cant remember using either, no price sticker on them to help place them in history (one of the Humbrol ones has a 52p sticker on it, those were the days!)