Tamiya BMW R75/ sidecar

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Realised that the backs of the panniers would be showing (or at least the corners would be) so thanks to the person (sorry, can't remember the post, or I'd credit with your name!) who uses tissue as tarpaulins on here who supplied the answer!
IMG_20210226_194930601~2.jpg
Backs now painted and now drying!

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
And I'd like to know - who decided to put padlocks onto the panniers???????
IMG_20210226_203709717~2.jpg
Now to leave them to dry, and get a cotton bud (Q-tip for our colonial cousins) and polish them up (humbrol polished steel)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice work Gerry.

ATB

Andrew

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Nice work Gerry.

ATB

Andrew
Thanks, still a bit of work to do on it, plus the figures - still not too sure whether to include the mg, or to fill the hole with the mount (might leave that until after I see what sort of mess I make of the painting of it! :upside: )

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Gerry
Fiddly little devil ain't it :tongue-out3: Great progress and nearly there.
Jim

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Hi Gerry
Fiddly little devil ain't it :tongue-out3: Great progress and nearly there.
Jim
It is, but strangely satisfying when I can get it done (2.5x magnification helps!) daft thing is, I've got a cheeky bid on another one on eBay, but the italieri version - just found a sprue shot and that looks worse - might need the 3.5x lenses fitting if I win it!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The Italeri one is more fiddly to assemble than the Tamiya version, I recall from 30 years or so ago, but it is better-detailed. For example, you actually get the supports for the mudguards that Tamiya forgot about.

Of course, if 1:35 scale motorbikes is your thing, then the kits from recent years are far better still, but (from what I’ve seen) even more complex :smiling3:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
The Italeri one is more fiddly to assemble than the Tamiya version, I recall from 30 years or so ago, but it is better-detailed. For example, you actually get the supports for the mudguards that Tamiya forgot about.
Yes, noticed that it's a lot more detailed and the front stays, also the pillion grab handle is an inverted 'U' shape, rather than a circle on a tab, probably have to break out the pointed (watchmaking) tweezers and the 3.5x visor lens
Of course, if 1:35 scale motorbikes is your thing, then the kits from recent years are far better still, but (from what I’ve seen) even more complex :smiling3:
I won't say that 1/35 scale motorbikes 'are my thing', but thinking about the dio that I've got in my mind, a couple of outfits wouldn't be out of place.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy

Indeed Jakko!
The more recent kits are INCREDIBLY more finicky to get together,(Sometimes i think they`re a bit "Over done"!),but,once you`ve managed to get them together they do look the business.Not taking it away from these older kits mind,they can also be made to look quite nice..... as Gerry is proving here :thumb2: .
Andy

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
And I'd like to know - who decided to put padlocks onto the panniers???????
View attachment 415197
Now to leave them to dry, and get a cotton bud (Q-tip for our colonial cousins) and polish them up (humbrol polished steel)
Gerry!
Just caught up with this,
I`m a big fan of Motorcycle/combi kits and over the years have done several different types:nerd:,
I have to say that you haven`t picked the easiest of subjects to restart your military modelling hobby,and you`re making a great fist of it in my opinion Sir:thumb2: ,
The "painting as you go" is a must,with these tiny things,and methods are personal,so you`ll decide what`s best for you as you progress.After a build or two,you`ll decide to add your own cables,etc....... it`s a slippery slope!!
Anyway,i`m droning on now!
Excellent work indeed mate...... following closely from here on in!:cool:
Andy

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Gerry!
Just caught up with this,
I`m a big fan of Motorcycle/combi kits and over the years have done several different types:nerd:,
I have to say that you haven`t picked the easiest of subjects to restart your military modelling hobby,and you`re making a great fist of it in my opinion Sir:thumb2: ,
The "painting as you go" is a must,with these tiny things,and methods are personal,so you`ll decide what`s best for you as you progress.After a build or two,you`ll decide to add your own cables,etc....... it`s a slippery slope!!
Anyway,i`m droning on now!
Excellent work indeed mate...... following closely from here on in!:cool:
Andy
No fear of me adding the cables - I have had enough problems adding cables and brake lines to the 1/9 bikes I've done, so well know the slippery slope! :tears-of-joy: :tongue-out3: :tongue-out:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I won't say that 1/35 scale motorbikes 'are my thing', but thinking about the dio that I've got in my mind, a couple of outfits wouldn't be out of place.
Just don’t put any of these without the sidecar, that both Tamiya and Italeri released, into your diorama :smiling3: (That is to say: in the real world, the R75 and KS 750 wouldn’t go anywhere without the sidecar. Literally.)

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Just don’t put any of these without the sidecar, that both Tamiya and Italeri released, into your diorama :smiling3: (That is to say: in the real world, the R75 and KS 750 wouldn’t go anywhere without the sidecar. Literally.)
Yes, the solos would've probably been either DKW (Das Kline Wonder) or if larger cc, Wanderer motorcycles. Bit like the UK army m/cs, I notice that the BSA M20 is done, but not the Norton 16H (usually used as a sidecar option, though could be ridden solo) same lack of the Triumph (can't remember that model designation off hand though - T something)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Enjoying this, makes a change from tracks Gerry, have my Russian combo in the stash, so taking note about the painting on the sprue.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Enjoying this, makes a change from tracks Gerry, have my Russian combo in the stash, so taking note about the painting on the sprue.
For some reason, I've never really got 'into' tanks - sure, I've done the Airfix 1/72 Tiger, Sherman, Churchill etc. and a 1/35 King Tiger when I first started (back in the '70s) but then got interested in the half tracks and all the versions that were available at the time, kubelwagon & outfit, all in 1/72, so sort of now moved 'up' in size ;)
Biggest problem of painting on the sprue is keeping the 'contact' points where the glue goes clear (or just scrape the paint off)

Lovely work on such a small model. Great to see
Thanks - couldn't do it if I hadn't got a magnifying glass/visor, and my 'doctored' brushes, which have been with me for years - don't know what I'll do when it comes to replacing the old favourites.

Had a break from it today, hopefully get some more done before Wednesday, as I've the first jab - from all reports, I'm not going to feel too good for a few days afterwards!

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
then got interested in the half tracks and all the versions that were available at the time, kubelwagon & outfit, all in 1/72, so sort of now moved 'up' in size ;)
Luckily, all of those and more are now available in 1:35 as well :smiling3:

Biggest problem of painting on the sprue is keeping the 'contact' points where the glue goes clear (or just scrape the paint off)
Scraping it off is generally easier for all but large areas, is my experience.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Luckily, all of those and more are now available in 1:35 as well :smiling2:
I've noticed - though doubt that I'd have room for the AK dio that I had, which was a '88' (with tow) supported by 4 X 20mm 'quads' and 2 X 40mm, with outlying heavy machine gun/infantry positions plus kubelwagon, BMW, and a couple of kettentrad - fairly sure that it was on a 2 foot square base - in 1/35, we'd be talking getting on for 4 feet square - serious space!

Reactions: JR