Tamiya BMW R75/ sidecar

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’ve long ago stopped building dioramas because of that space issue. I still need to find somewhere to put the blown-up M113 I built last year, which needed a base.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
I've tried just 'pure' modelling (though mainly motorbike models) but space to display is the problem for me now, so on this trip into the hobby, thinking that I'll make a model and dio, photo it, then box up and put away - the dios that I'll do will probably be scratched up out of household waste (cardboard base etc) which can then be binned after the photo (the one that I put up in one of my first posts'was an exception, as it was a hardboard base - rest was scraps though, and had been put into a box, along with a similar one that my youngest son did)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A recurring problem, the one of display Gerry .
I'm lucky in that I have a modelling room, but there comes a time and it's here that I've no more display space. So like you it's into a box in the attic, probably never to see the light of day.
We can never have enough room !

Last edited:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Just started on the two 'crew' - first time of using the Revell 'Plasto' not too sure that I'm all that keen on it, seems as though it's separated in the tube & I'm getting a lot of fluid coming out, and not much filler - will leave it overnight with the cap down to see if it'll get the fluid to the bottom of the tube! Still, it's converting Tamiya 'half heads' to 'heads', just got to shape and paint to see what I get - or should this stage go into the 'figure' section?

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Don't think it has to move Gerry, if it does one of the mods will say or move it for you.
Seen posts before about fillers separating, might take longer than a night to correct it, but worth a try .

Last edited:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Don't think it has to move Gerry, if it does one of the kids will say or move it for you.
Seen posts before about fillers separating, might take longer than a night to correct it, but worth a try .
I'll keep giving it a shake as well, see if that'll help - though I might see about 'draining' it, don't mind if it's a bit 'stiff', rather than 'sloppy' for future use.

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
first time of using the Revell 'Plasto' not too sure that I'm all that keen on it, seems as though it's separated in the tube & I'm getting a lot of fluid coming out, and not much filler
That’s what I was talking about in my reply to your other remark about this putty :smiling3: Like I said there, simplest solution is to squeeze all the glue out of the tube.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
That’s what I was talking about in my reply to your other remark about this putty :smiling3: Like I said there, simplest solution is to squeeze all the glue out of the tube.
Probably will squeeze it out - or let it run out, which seems to be what it wants to do! Oh well, onwards and upwards!

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Start point (the marks show where the filler ran) two figures from the 'spares' tub, tempted to remove the jackets and have the sleeves rolled up.
IMG_20210301_115202070~2.jpgIMG_20210301_115213697~2.jpg
The standing figure needs some more work to his forehead (bit 'neandethal' at the moment)

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
A little bit of work later, plus finding out that I haven't got any 'flesh' paint (so mixed up a little using randome tan and brick red) and they've turned out 'passible'IMG_20210301_182103980~2.jpgIMG_20210301_182037002~2.jpg

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good try, not easy to add the right amount of head including the hair.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Good try, not easy to add the right amount of head including the hair.
I tend to cheat a little, and put too much on, then file back (then take too much off!) then give up & decide that 'it's close enough' and nobody's going to look that close anyway! ;)
Now got to get the rest of the painting done and get the sidecar to the right height compared to the two of them & get the arms in the right places.

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s not cheating, that’s the smart way to do it :smiling3:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
My 'flesh' paint (plus others) has just appeared! Eldest son has just pulled out his 'stash' ( Airfix BOB memorial flight (from about 2000) - all 3 planes, he'd just done the spitfire) and guess what was sitting in the box, yes, half a dozen of my Humbrol tins!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Gerry
Nice work on the figures. Very hard to do.
Jim

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Hi Gerry
Nice work on the figures. Very hard to do.
Jim
Thanks Jim, helps that I've got a cheapy set of magnifying glasses (don't think that I could have done most of this without them, what with my eyesight) using them with the 2.5x lens in.
1614683679456.png

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Nearly there - still got a fair bit to get done, but at least I can see where it's heading! Will have to start on the dio soon, so that I can match the mud/soil onto the boot soles etc.
IMG_20210302_143851607~2.jpg
IMG_20210302_144410565~2.jpg
IMG_20210302_144518919~2.jpg

First Name
Andy
Looking good but being a biker myself I always think most model bike kits have spokes that look too thick.

Andy.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Looking good but being a biker myself I always think most model bike kits have spokes that look too thick.

Andy.
I agree - even when you go up in scale, they're still too thick (I've gone up to 1/6 I think) - think that most bike wheel spokes are around the 4mm mark, so getting them somewhere about right would mean at 1/35 scale a spoke that's .11 mm thick, then the lacing pattern (you'll notice that on this model, the spokes aren't overlapped) would probably mean horrendous costs, then trying to clean up the flash - it goes on forever, think I'll accept the 'shortcomings'! At least they aren't just molded onto a disc of plastic ;) :smiling5:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Etched spokes are about the closest you can get, really. Unless, of course, you go and make your own from (say) very thin fishing line, or even hair … it should be doable, and strong enough to hold up the model — but rather you than me :smiling3: A disc of clear plastic with the spokes engraved in it might actually be a good way to do it, if the disc is clear enough and doesn’t reflect too much.