Tamiya BMW R75/ sidecar

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Etched spokes are about the closest you can get, really. Unless, of course, you go and make your own from (say) very thin fishing line, or even hair … it should be doable, and strong enough to hold up the model — but rather you than me :smiling3: A disc of clear plastic with the spokes engraved in it might actually be a good way to do it, if the disc is clear enough and doesn’t reflect too much.
Think I'll put up with the thick molded ones - lacing a full-size wheel is bad enough when you've got to replace a few spokes because you've been too enthusiastic riding an outfit! :smiling5: :smiling5:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Those heads have come out well Gerry. I wouldn't worry about the spokes, plenty of rutted tracks on the base will detract from the thickness of them.:nerd:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Those heads have come out well Gerry. I wouldn't worry about the spokes, plenty of rutted tracks on the base will detract from the thickness of them.:nerd:
Thanks - there are a few areas where I'm not too happy with the heads - showed up after the paint went on - but knowing me, I'd try and 'correct' them & really foul it up.
Been filling, filing, touching up and doing little bits (the kneeling figure now doesn't have the 'split' in his trousers - did think about leaving it, just for a laugh!) Getting the odds and sods done, mg, tarps, rifle, helmets & ammo box, which will be strewn around eventually, then there's the rock which will sit under the sidecar chassis to hold it up (those sidecars were heavy - so you couldn't just lift and slide the wheel on - I've tried to lift one of the 'modern' Russian ones fitted to a Dnpr!) partly the argument between the two, as 'dumsheiskopf' has just bolted the old wheel back to the boot! ;) Still got mud to splatter, but that will be the last thing to do.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Gerry, apologise for not appearing sooner. Had a good read through and what nostalgia. Brought back memories of the sidecar in one of my earliest dioramas where I switched the rider with an Italeri one. Obviously the Tamiya one was easier to build although the Italeri kit was finer detailed with correct break levers.
I noticed you did some surgery to the figures...not bad. Neurosurgery isn't easy. I like the wheel changing idea...the split pants would have been original had you left it. :tears-of-joy:
Looking forward to more.

Cheers,
Richard

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Decided to get some of the 'kit' painted, as it's going to be put into a dio, thought that I might as well go through what was in the 'spares' tub, as not sure what I'll be using, so I thought that I'd do the lot!
IMG_20210307_190417053.jpg
Still got 9 jerry cans to assemble, plus a few boxes, (tried to increase the number of boxes, only to find out that the 'Plasto' interacts with plastercine, and makes it sticky, and it won't set too well - very brittle causing any molding to stick and break - plan B will have to come in)