Tamiya brushes

N

Normal Norman

Can anyone please tell me what the real-world difference is between the two ranges of Tamiya brushes when it comes to using them? I like using flat brushes with Tamiya acrylics, and I have a couple of the cheaper unpainted-handle Tamiya ones. Would people suddenly be in awe of my brush-painting skills if I buy a couple of the "professional" black-handled ones and use them, or would I have to kid myself that the expense was justified?

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Would people suddenly be in awe of my brush-painting skills if I buy a couple of the "professional" black-handled ones and use them, or would I have to kid myself that the expense was justified?

I tried the black handled versions once, they did not last so I would say the extra expense isn't worth it. I had better durability out of Humbrol brushes. These days I go to an art supplies shop to get my brushes.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
I’ve never used Tamiya brushes so couldn’t comment on them
But I would say the quality of the brush is only half the issue, technique is equally, if not more, important.
I’m no brilliant painter but used to paint Sci-fi miniatures and always spent as much as I could afford on my brushes. And look after them nicely too!

N

Normal Norman

Thank you gentlemen! I'll shortly be trying a couple of "Abteilung 502" flat brushes and will report back in due course ...

First Name
Steve
Hi Norman sorry to go slightly of topic whilst i agree with the above i think with any decent make of brushes it's the cleaning afterwards tnat makes the difference, since i started using the Masters brush cleaner mine have improved no end.

While at the Hinkley show i bought a set of quite cheap Italeri brushes and they have turned out brilliant for the cost, i just clean and taper the point before putting them in the stand for next time.

Steve.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Norman sorry to go slightly of topic whilst i agree with the above i think with any decent make of brushes it's the cleaning afterwards tnat makes the difference, since i started using the Masters brush cleaner mine have improved no end.

While at the Hinkley show i bought a set of quite cheap Italeri brushes and they have turned out brilliant for the cost, i just clean and taper the point before putting them in the stand for next time.

Steve.
Excuse me Norman for using your thread .
Steve , I've just looked it up, do you rinse it off ? My series 7 don't seem to last very long, sure it's the way I clean them ! , Normally stick them in the Ultra Sonic tank , wave them about in the cleaner and then rinse .
John .

N

Normal Norman

I'd never heard of the stuff, so this is all good :smiling3: I too would like to know exactly how you use it - presumably with acrylics you wash most of the colour off in water first then do with this stuff?

First Name
Steve
Excuse me Norman for using your thread .
Steve , I've just looked it up, do you rinse it off ? My series 7 don't seem to last very long, sure it's the way I clean them ! , Normally stick them in the Ultra Sonic tank , wave them about in the cleaner and then rinse .
John .

Hi yes after a cleaning i rinse them with clean water then taper the points with finger and thumb, hope it helps.

Sorry again Norm, Steve.

First Name
Steve
I'd never heard of the stuff, so this is all good :smiling3: I too would like to know exactly how you use it - presumably with acrylics you wash most of the colour off in water first then do with this stuff?

Hi Norman water don't get all of the paint out, Masters cleans deep into the bristles, you think you've cleaned the brush but after a swish in Masters you really see the rubbish come out, and yes i only use acryics.

Not cheap but will last years.

Steve.

N

Normal Norman

Thanks Steve - so, to make sure I've got this right it's give brush a splosh around in water to get most of the paint off, squeeze off most of that water, lather brush up in this magic stuff, rinse well then smooth into shape?

First Name
Steve
Thanks Steve - so, to make sure I've got this right it's give brush a splosh around in water to get most of the paint off, squeeze off most of that water, lather brush up in this magic stuff, rinse well then smooth into shape?

That's it Norman, it really is fantastic for acrylics, in fact i've just used it.

All the best Steve.

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Another satisfied customer here, I’ve been using Masters brush cleaner for several years. It certainly improves brush cleaning when using acrylics, and maximises brush life.
John, I really wouldn’t treat a series seven like that...you are damaging the bristles. Masters cleaner is cheaper than a single series seven so invest in some....
Any good art shop should carry it, failing that, use amazon....
The way I use it is as follows;
Remove the majority of the paint using water, rewet the brush with clean water, swirl in Masters cleaner, lather up bristles in the palm of your hand, rinse out under running water, point brush and allow to dry upright with bristles at the top.....

PS, for brushes, use Rosemary & Co. They are cheaper than series seven, but still good quality. Modellers are hard on brushes and these are a good compromise of cost against quality.

Cheers
Tim

Last edited:
N

Normal Norman

PS, for brushes, use Rosemary & Co. They are cheaper than series seven, but still good quality.

Gosh ... selection shock! Which of their acrylic brush bristle materials would you recommend for use with Tamiya paints? I'm particularly interested in flat brushes for use on scratchbuilt plastic card buildings.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Norman
I don’t brush paint Tamiya paint, so not sure what to recommend? I use series 323 or series 93 with Vallejo, so the flats or filberts from those ranges would be worth a crack? Might be worth talking to them because there is a bewildering variety of brushes on their site. Let us know how you get on.
Cheers
Tim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Another satisfied customer here, I’ve been using Masters brush cleaner for several years. It certainly improves brush cleaning when using acrylics, and maximises brush life.
John, I really wouldn’t treat a series seven like that...you are damaging the bristles. Masters cleaner is cheaper than a single series seven so invest in some....
Any good art shop should carry it, failing that, use amazon....
The way I use it is as follows;
Remove the majority of the paint using water, rewet the brush with clean water, swirl in Masters cleaner, lather up bristles in the palm of your hand, rinse out under running water, point brush and allow to dry upright with bristles at the top.....

PS, for brushes, use Rosemary & Co. They are cheaper than series seven, but still good quality. Modellers are hard on brushes and these are a good compromise of cost against quality.

Cheers
Tim

Tim,
I stand guilty as charged.:sad: I do rinse them out with clean water after a slight dab of fairy , and put them away with the covers on in a jar with a net separating them , including doing the tip with the fingers gently.
Amonst the collection of brushes I have some Rosemary, and ProArt . The later Peter uses if my memory is right .
I do find that the Series 7 have a much finer tip in the size 000 than the others . I realise that the numbering is slightly different with each manufacturer......,..maybe time to invest ?
John

N

Normal Norman

... I use series 323 or series 93 with Vallejo, so the flats or filberts from those ranges would be worth a crack? ...

Cheers Tim. One last question ... in use, what's the difference between a flat brush and a filbert? Is one more useful than the other for larger areas (say, playing card size and up), or what? How would a chap decide which one to use for a particular application?

(Pardon my ignorance, btw. So much still to learn, and it seems so little time left to learn it!)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Norman
The best way to describe this is as follows;
A filbert is like a flat brush with the corners cut off. I use them for dry brushing because they don’t have the risk of the paint built up on the corner. I have used both flats and filberts for larger areas and like the filberts for not leaving a strong paint line at the edge of the stroke.
You can’t really go wrong with either so I would buy one of each to trial hem and see which suits your style best. I’ll have a look at the site and see which one corresponds to the rounds I have quoted.
Cheers
Tim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Norman
As a trial I would try a series 305 filbert and a series 303 one stroke. Once you know what type of brush you want then move up to the Red sable or Pure red sable ranges.
Cheers
Tim