Tamiya brushes

A

Awins

Can anyone tell me the difference between HG and HF Tamiya paint brushes please.
Can I take this opportunity to wish you all a very merry Christmas and a happy new year.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Alan .
Apart from the plastic " hairs " the HF set appears to be flat . Where as the HG are fine pointed using a resin bristle and are much thinner in the point for detailed work .
Have you used these before ? Or thinking about them.
Personally I find Sable brushes keep their point better than any man made , but of course cost more , but can last with care .
Seasons greetings to you .
John .

A

Awins

Alan .
Apart from the plastic " hairs " the HF set appears to be flat . Where as the HG are fine pointed using a resin bristle and are much thinner in the point for detailed work .
Have you used these before ? Or thinking about them.
Personally I find Sable brushes keep their point better than any man made , but of course cost more , but can last with care .
Seasons greetings to you .
John .
Hi John, no I havnt used these before. Im looking for round fine point brushes for detail work. I have one or two WN series 7 but find that the bristles appear to be soft and just bend when using Tamiya acrylics.

zuludog

SMF Supporter
I have also found that pure sable brushes can be a bit too soft, and no matter how careful I am, they seem to deteriorate fairly soon. You could try these two makes of brushes, both by Winsor & Newton -

Sceptre Gold II. They are a synthetic - sable mixture; similar to pure sable, but more resilient. My preferred choice

University. All synthetic, and a bit stiffer than sable, but still fine & flexible enough to give good results

They are both reasonably priced, and cheap enough to just try a couple

Search t'Net, or they are stocked by 'The Range' hobby & household stores

You could also look at www.abcbrushes.com See my earlier thread
They have several different packs of miniature or fine detail brushes, all very good value for money

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Alan .
I agree with the suggestion by zuludog, just the addition of synthetic will give that increased firmness. I'd be interested to hear how you get on.
John.