Tamiya - Daimler Dingo MkII - 1/35 (1972)

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
My first build in several decades! If you've come expecting a masterpiece, you may have wandered into the wrong thread!
This will be (mostly) a straight out of the box build. I'm weaning myself back into modelling gently, having been away many years. This is my first build thread, so forgive me if it seems patronising. That's not intended. This is an "aide memoir" for me, with any issues, and solutions. I'm kind of thinking out loud. Enough, onward!

Before I begin I assemble all the bits and bobs I'll need (I think!):
IMG_20210807_121633576.jpg

I don't have a workbench, so am building on my living room table. I do have a daylight lamp, used throughout. Having checked all the sprues for missing parts etc. I'm good to go. I did find I was missing the instructions for this kit. Fortunately Scalemates to the rescue!. I have pre-painted a few parts that will build up the interior (much easier to do that on the sprue first).

As an interesting aside, and a "blast from the past", check out the price of the kit - 99 pence! My dad (RIP) bought this kit from a local shop, probably on release, and it's sat nearly half a century waiting to be built. I had to look, and in today's money that's about £11.50. I found a similar (same?) kit on Amazon for about £15. There are a few of these original boxes for sale online, ranging from 28 euro to about £45!
IMG_20210807_121739603.jpg

Anyway, I digress. Next I set up my cutting/painting mat (don't want to ruin the table!), and get started. I use some decent "snips" to remove parts from their sprues (being careful not to "ping" any tiny ones!

Here you can see the "bench" ready to go. The bottle of cement is blue tacked to the cutting mat, to avoid any disastrous mishaps:
IMG_20210807_123231666.jpg

Next I start assembling the pieces, beginning with step 1 of the instructions. I have read these through a few times, and assembled reference materials before I begin (I'll try to remember to link these at the end. Remind me if I forget).

At this point I realise pre-painting all those interior parts is a double edged sword. Some of them need bare plastic to be glued together|:
IMG_20210807_131151875.jpg

The solution - cocktail stick scraper to the rescue. This let me scrape the paint off without damaging the plastic:
IMG_20210807_131209684.jpg
The extra thin cement is great! It's a vast improvement, even over the liquid cement of days gone by ( i know you can still get it).

I also needed to clean up some of those sprue snips; fortunately I got a cheap tool set from an auction site, with all the basics. Most of it is pretty good. I will need to buy better tweezers. The ones in this kit are a bit rubbish. Too thin, and prone to bending:
IMG_20210807_131322811.jpg

If you spotted these were'nt in the first pic, congratulations - you are very observant. All of my other kit though, is in the next room, so not too far. The files are good though, and worked great for tidying up the sprue marks:
IMG_20210807_131712287.jpg

Before I go any further I realise there's little bits that will need painting now, for ease. So it's out with the paints:
IMG_20210807_132729608_HDR.jpg

I got these sets knowing I'd be building some Allies and Axis armour kits, and thought I'd have all I needed. I already have flesh colours and so on from my miniature painting days. Alas, not so. On reading Mike Starmer's excellent material on AFv colours (here) I found that actually "buff" was nearer the colour of British desert vehicles, so another pot was purchased. OK, I'm almost ready to paint. Before I do though, I make sure I've got synthetic brushes (best for acrylics), clean and ready to go. I also have brush cleaner to hand, to keep them tip top:
IMG_20210807_133022369.jpg

Before I put any paint on I decant a drop into a small palette and add a drop of water, to get the right consistency. I want a good coverage and "flow". Interesting aside - I saw a Youtube video which claims that adding glycerin works as a flow improver for paint! I have not tried this myself yet. If you do, or ahve, please let me know if it works? (It was aimed at airbrushes though, and I still use a "hairy stick"). The mini coffee jars are great for holding water and oil/enamel thinners - in different bottles, of course!
IMG_20210807_133312695_HDR.jpg

Great, so I can now paint the back of the seat! (All that for this!). I'll want to use some ink, and or gloss (oil/enamel?) later on, to give this a "sheen" since it's leather. I'll probably go orange or red, because the brown doesn't seem quite right to me yet:
IMG_20210807_134409543.jpg

That's the interior floor fairly well assembled, Onto the hull:
IMG_20210807_135011080.jpg

Again, snipped from the sprue and filed to remove "flash" points. Speaking of flash though, I can see this an old kit, by the amount still on some of the sprue parts. It required a bit of fiddly cutting and filing to remove it all (note parts 44 and 46):
IMG_20210807_135115753.jpg

So with all the bits ready, it's time to begin assembly:
IMG_20210807_140532709.jpg

Or is it? Here again I've had to remove some paint to allow for parts to be glued together (note the section where the steering wheel will go, on the bottom part):
IMG_20210807_140928248_HDR.jpg

Now that steering wheel can be glued in. Without scraping the paint there'd be nothing for the glue to "bite":
IMG_20210807_141622034_HDR.jpg

OK, so now it's ready to assemble (always reminds me of Avengers these days, that word. Avengers Assemble!. I digress...) Here it is for a rough fit. I always dry fit the parts before gluing. That way I discover any fitting issues before it's too late. I'm glad I do too, since I'm not quite happy with the fit. Maybe it's because it's an old kit? Maybe I was too agresssive with the filing? Whatever the reason the two halves don't quite line up with the plastic pin as is. So I get a small drill and very carefully lengthen the hole by gently enlarging the fitting hole:
IMG_20210807_145329577_HDR.jpg

It's still not perfect, but will do OK. If need be I can come back and do some remedial work to correct the fit later. Pressing on I keep offering up the parts for fit, and gently filing away a tiny bit at a time, until I'm fairly satisfied with the fit of the two halves. That done. it's time to stick and sit:
IMG_20210807_151537225_HDR.jpg
I've also painted a base coat on the ammo boxes (front left of chassis), before gluing the halves together.

That centre line still looks ugly to me. If it's visible in the final build I'll use filler or plastic card to cover it, since I think that should be a single panel? Need to check my references on that floor:
IMG_20210807_151548861.jpg

Continued...

Attachments

• IMG_20210807_131712287.jpg
    IMG_20210807_131712287.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dale
Nice choice to get back into the hobby. I'm sure it will work out fine. I'll enjoy watching this come together. Above all have fun!
Jim

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Moving on I decide to fit the rear/back armour. This does not want to hold, so it's time to bring out the clamps. These were also included in the toolkit I got, and they're actually very good:
IMG_20210807_152557479.jpg

I leave that to set while looking at the next bits to do. Here the front panel has also been fitted (after the rear had set), and I'm looking at the instrument panel for the interior:
IMG_20210807_154114322.jpg

I decide this might be a good place to stop, because I'l want to add some detail to the interior before carrying on building. I need to do some pin wash and panel lines, along with bring out any other detail inside before moving on. Stopping now means I can check my references, and detail before going further. I may need to leave the model overnight, since I'm going to try using some oils... (first time):
IMG_20210807_154127229.jpg

One last job before I can stop - tidying up, and cleaning. This brush cleaner seems to be good stuff. Wet the brush, clean, wet again then "paint" over the cleaner, before rinsing and wetting again. I always bring the bristles back to a point before re-sleeving and storing:
IMG_20210807_154719285_HDR.jpg

That's it for now. I may get more done later, if not hopefully tomorrow. Before I forget here's those references:

Photos of the exterior and interior (lots of other stuff here too): WWII 1944 Production British Daimler "Dingo" Scout Car Mark II

Video on the Dingo from the tank museum: Tank Chats #29 Daimler Dingo Scout Car | The Tank Museum

I'm sure there are other sites and videos I've looked at, but I can't remember all of them. A Google search for Daimler Dingo will yield moe than enough information for any but the most ardent.

Now, a gripe with the kit. It' models itself a MKII, but the roof is from a MKI. The steel roof proved impractical if the Dingo hit a land mine, so was replaced with a canvas soft top on later marks. I'll be using something (putty, paper, tissue?) to make a canvas top for my model, which is more accurate. Otherwise it's been pretty good so far, especially bearing in mind the age. A couple of minor niggles with fit, but nothing serious. All in all, I'm quite pleased with it so far. A good little kit to get back into the hobby...

Will post more once I've done some!

Happy modelling!

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Hi Dale
Nice choice to get back into the hobby. I'm sure it will work out fine. I'll enjoy watching this come together. Above all have fun!
Jim
Thanks Jim. Happy to have you along, and thanks for commenting. It's been good fun so far. Even those little challenges were OK. I'm enjoying being back in the hobby. All the best.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Excellent start Dale. Thorough and logical approach right from the off. Looking forward to seeing this develop.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice start Date. Should have been this logical on my first build back.....:tired:

Keep up the good work.

Andrew

Last edited:

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hello Dale,
Welcome.
Do not worry about being a returnee to the hobby, most of us old fools, er modellers on here are back for a second time.
You just need to ask a question and in a lot of cases the answer will be just there for you, but do not ask for money...... grown men do cry!
£0.99p, now that takes us back some decades.
Enjoy your second coming and we look forward to your input and end results.
Mike.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That`s one very well organised start to your build there Dale:thumb2:,
I`m another who likes the look of these Dingos and will enjoy following your progress,a great start so far!
Andy

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
There was a time when this kit was hard to find so when I was in Hong Kong in '92 I found it and purchased 2. Funny thing since having got them I haven't built either.
Your build is looking orderly. If that gash in the center still bothers you, a bit of dirt will cover it. I think also its a tight squeeze of the seat and so forth so much of the floor will be hidden from view.

Cheers,
Richard

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
I started my first build in decades back in February, everyone's been really helpful & encouraging on here.

Good luck with the Dingo, it looks like fun.
Thanks Dan. Appreciated. I've found everyone very friendly too. Glad to be hear.

Hello Dale,
Welcome.
Do not worry about being a returnee to the hobby, most of us old fools, er modellers on here are back for a second time.
You just need to ask a question and in a lot of cases the answer will be just there for you, but do not ask for money...... grown men do cry!
£0.99p, now that takes us back some decades.
Enjoy your second coming and we look forward to your input and end results.
Mike.
Thanks Mike. Everyone has been so helpful. This is by far the most active forum I've found for modelling, and it's great. Don't worry, I won't ask for any money! (Unless I decide to sell some old kits, then I reserve the right to change my mind! :smiling6:

That`s one very well organised start to your build there Dale:thumb2:,
I`m another who likes the look of these Dingos and will enjoy following your progress,a great start so far!
Andy
Thanks Andy. Good to be here, and glad to have you along too :smiling3:

There was a time when this kit was hard to find so when I was in Hong Kong in '92 I found it and purchased 2. Funny thing since having got them I haven't built either.
Your build is looking orderly. If that gash in the center still bothers you, a bit of dirt will cover it. I think also its a tight squeeze of the seat and so forth so much of the floor will be hidden from view.

Cheers,
Richard
Thanks Richard. You'll have to build one too! I'd love to see what someone else does with this kit. I'm sure it'll put mine to shame. I decided to press on with the kit, and worry about the "seam" later. I hope to fill the cab with odds and sods. For a start the Bren gun is missing from this kit, so I'll have to dig around some spares. I've a feeling there may be an old cloth kicking around the footwell too!? (That should hide any sins) ;)

Last edited:

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
So, day 2. I thought I'd have a go at the inside with some old Citadel acrylic inks:
IMG_20210808_110110054.jpg
I've also got pigments and pastels (to grind up for pigment) to hand.

I started with a brown ink, very dilute, since the pigments are dense, and could easily look too bold. I tried it out by doing a pin wash around the inner door and hatch:
IMG_20210808_114615880.jpg
Too be honest I'm not impressed with the result. I think a black wash will probably look better, so back over it with buff, followed by black.

This looks better to my eye:
IMG_20210808_120938339.jpg

I thought I'd try an orange wash (all diluted about 80/90%) over the brown, to give a red leather effect. It's still wet in this picture:
IMG_20210808_121727280.jpg
Not bad, but I think it can probably be better.

I'm getting side-tracked in details, which could be a mistake, so decide to press on. Wings and side boxes glued on next:
IMG_20210808_132844743.jpg
I still haven't fitted the dash, because I want to pick out the details. gauges, lights and so on need painting first, and so much easier to do before gluing! I've also put some thinned black around the rear vents. It's messy, but I'll dry brush and tidy when painting the exterior. Again, easier to do before fitting the top engine cover.

Engine cover on, seats in. It's beginning to lot like a Dingo:
IMG_20210808_134547111_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210808_134559624_HDR.jpg

Other than the instrument panel that's top main build done, so on to the base and suspension.. First though. time for lunch, and a Moroccan inspired pasty feels very appropriate for an African Dingo build:
IMG_20210808_135011428_HDR.jpg

A pasty, a coffee, and a break and a stretch later, I'm ready for the bottom. Here again I find a few issues with flash, so it's time for the mini drill chuck again:
IMG_20210808_135745975.jpg
I won't glue the wheels on yet, since I want to paint the suspension springs first. They'll go on last, after the painting and weathering are done.

Once all the suspension components are glued (the front can move, so a couple of bits are left "free" to move.) I trial fit everything together. Looks OK so far. There is a slight warp to the kit, evident when I put it down flat on the mat, but it's not visible to the eye:
IMG_20210808_143153128_HDR.jpg

As noted earlier, a bit of paint on the chassis/suspension. this will get tidied up and dry brushed later. I need to check references for the spring colour - otherwise it'll be gunmetal/silver, to pick out spring detail. I'll add some oil and grime during weathering too:
IMG_20210808_145705608_HDR.jpg
The paint has gone a bit patchy and weird on the springs. It is really old acrylic, so that could be it. It could also be solvent from the ET glue. Either way a while to dry and a touch up should see it OK.

A final fit of top and bottom before gluing. Now it's definitely looking a lot like a Dingo!:
IMG_20210808_151301322_HDR.jpg

And from the top:
IMG_20210808_151311218_HDR.jpg
Not 100% happy with the seats, so will need to sort those out. One will have the driver in, so will be covered over, but I know it's not quite right. Do I aim for perfect, or just good enough? I think good enough will have to do, or I'll never see a kit finished, worrying over every little detail.

Another productive day's modelling, and Sunday has sped by. I'm fairly happy with the way it's coming together so far. I've gone slow and steady. With more practise this is probably a weekend build.
The figures will take another day day or two as well, maybe more. It's been a good few years since I painted any of those too
I've yet to finish putting all the small details on the outside, and I'll want to add some extras too. Rope, tarps, sand bags - who knows!? I'll see whats in the spares boxes (mine are matchboxes for now - give it time!).
I've yet to paint the exterior. Once that's done, and before too many fiddly bits are added, I'll varnish ready to start weathering. That'll also be a first, so should be fun learning. If I mess it up too much I have some PVA and "buff" sand standing by!
Thinking ahead the last decision I have to make is do I put it on a base? I think I'd like to, to see it finished nicely, and building a foam base will be another first, and good practise. Time will tell; watch this space...

Last edited:

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Funny paint on the springs is probably due to oil/grease from manufacturing, best to wash the sprues in warm soapy water and rinse before starting to build.
Making good progress though :thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dale
As you say "looking like a Dingo" :thumb2: Sounds as if you're enjoying the build. Looking good. A base would be nice especially as you are using the figures.
Jim

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Funny paint on the springs is probably due to oil/grease from manufacturing, best to wash the sprues in warm soapy water and rinse before starting to build.
Making good progress though :thumb2:
I'll do that in future Jim, thanks. I've heard IPA also cleans sprues up well? I have a big bottle of that handy. I am enjoying the build, ta, and yes, I do think a base would be good. We've a model railway shop in town; I see a costly visit in my near future! ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Dale. I wouldn’t bother with IPA for the sprues, just use warm water and fairy liquid (or equivalent). Removing grease is what it’s designed to do.
The other potential problem for paint coverage and adhesion is finger grease applied when building the model……I usually wash mine when assembly is finished, but you are painting as you build so that would be a good use for your IPA.