Tamiya Dragon Wagon

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Jim

Sorry just been catching up on this. Am blown away by what you've achieved already, and it's not even finished. Can only imagine what it will look like once complete.

Keep up the good work.

ATB

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Stunning paint work Jim, your attention to the detail is admiral as always.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Jim

Sorry just been catching up on this. Am blown away by what you've achieved already, and it's not even finished. Can only imagine what it will look like once complete.

Keep up the good work.

ATB

Andrew
Thank you so much Andrew and John
Stunning paint work Jim, your attention to the detail is admiral as always.
Thanks so much guys, have been wanting to do this kit for ever so I'm taking my time, and weathering every stage.
It's tough to know when to stop and post some pics, It can be easy to over work something.

Am going next to make up tire chains for only two of the rear wheels, that's enough in my opinion to make the point I think.
Will also start some preliminary work on cab superstructure, leaving out a few of the niceties such as hanging canteens and long lost
fire extinguishers and the like.

I want her to depict a post war wreckage collector, well worked and showing it.
Thanks again for your kind comments as they are much appreciated.

Jim

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Jim

I've had a quick look online at this kit and I it's not cheap or small. How long is it out of interest?

ATB

Andrew

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Some excellent work on display here. Outside tires of rear pairs show more wear than inside or fronts in many of the photos I've seen. Can't help w/chains as have seen no examples on this vehicle. Keep on trucking. PaulE

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Jim

I've had a quick look online at this kit and I it's not cheap or small. How long is it out of interest?

ATB

Andrew
510mm over all length, width 112mm, Ht 109mm

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Jim, I like the style of weathering that you've done for the Wagon. It has made a single drab colour into interesting areas and individual panels and not an overall wash as many have made that mistake. Like Rick says, it wouldn't be right if it was neat. This is organised well painted weathering with just the right amount of it and not overdone.

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
510mm over all length, width 112mm, Ht 109mm
Jim

Thanks for the info, it's not small is it. I've had a proper look on my laptop rather than phone and it looks absolutely stunning.

I did a bit of research last night and and see the rear wheels were chain driven, which have come out really well on you build. I know next to nothing about trucks of this era and wondered if chain drives were very common on trucks of this size?

ATB

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Yes they were. Even the large open pit mine ore haulers were chain driven. Keep in mind it was slow moving powerful rigs that were so equipped. They became impractical as speeds increased on the highway systems and eventually became obsolete.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Yes they were.
Maybe on very heavy haulers, but most trucks of typical size of the period used a normal axle with differential, as far as I know.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Jim, great build and that is what I call a paint job.

Top work Bud... :thumb2:

Ron

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Jim, I like the style of weathering that you've done for the Wagon. It has made a single drab colour into interesting areas and individual panels and not an overall wash as many have made that mistake. Like Rick says, it wouldn't be right if it was neat. This is organised well painted weathering with just the right amount of it and not overdone.

Cheers,
Richard
Thank you ever so much Richard, for your kind words, they are wind in my sails and a good boost to the old MOJO.

Jim

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Some excellent work on display here. Outside tires of rear pairs show more wear than inside or fronts in many of the photos I've seen. Can't help w/chains as have seen no examples on this vehicle. Keep on trucking. PaulE
Thanks Paul, From what I can glean from Bing is a hodge podge of pics showing different scenarios and activities.
Some have brightly colored road hazard markings and white or black and yellow bar markings (something that would be a deadly mistake in
combat or even "semi combat" situations).

These were vehicles used either way behind the lines or immediate post war.
Many were used for years to help clean up post war Europe.

Tires?....I've seen all types of wear and even some non-military "civie" tires. so.....
The chains are my own preference as I think they look bad a##.

She will eventually end up in some kind of huge dio loading up a wrecked tank in a muddy/snowy scene (haven't decided on tank yet) with the help of an
M32 recovery vehicle (already built) I'll show a few pics of it after a bit of tweaking.

I always tend to use a bit of artistic license and can't be held to minute historical accuracy.
Just having fun making her look the awesome brute that she is.

Thank you for your kind attention and comments as they are always welcome.

Cheers!

Jim

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Yeah, the fancy paint was post war. Sometimes you'll see some white edge markings on wartime examples, kinda like the German markings. Your dio idea sounds great. I have a photo sequence in my ref material showing two M25s working together to right an overturned Sherman. Hoping to do as a future dio.
They did try out chain drive on the 6x6x6 Corbit, but it didn't make the cut. PaulE

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looking forward to see the scene all come together.
Thanks Paul, I'' need a big surface but light in weight, foam board seems right but has a tendency to bend up.
Maybe I'll double or even triple them up in thickness for strength, no border as I want to take outdoor photos
with the fields and woods as a back round.
Should be fun...hopefully I'll live long enough to see it all come into fruition.

Image result for really old man.........Jim