Tamiya Elefant, its a big lump!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon

I have a queue for the spray booth with other kits drying

Hetzer in panzer grey and gloss varnish, also Tamiya Panther G in tri camo and also in gloss varnish and both drying for a day or so

The Marder is in primer and drying as well

so started the Tamiya Elefant

elefant 005.JPG

elefant 006.JPG

elefant 007.JPG

made a start on the suspension

elefant 008.JPG

Next problem the dreaded zimmerit

bob

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Ding Dong! So want to build one of these at some point. Your bench is turning into an irrepressible conveyor belt of stunning builds. Looking forward to seeing how this one goes. Good luck

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Steve (chq) in post lol

Never attempted zimmerit so will have a look on YT, thinking of doing the panels before fitting them to save mess!! That's why I jumped ahead in the plans

Need to look at what putty to use, I have small stamps to put the pattern on so another learning experience

bob

Reactions: JR

bilbo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dom
Will watch with interest as this is one of my favourite armoured vehicles.

I built one of these recently the only watch out is the circular door on the rear. I wasn’t paying to much attention and managed to install it upside down.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cracking start Bob. I'll be asking you for tips regarding the Panther g lol

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Dom, how did you get on with the Zimmerit? I plan to have a look at the many methods out there

Many thanks Al, feel free to ask, I am about to start weathering the G, lovely kit!

bob

bilbo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dom
Thanks Dom, how did you get on with the Zimmerit? I plan to have a look at the many methods out there

Many thanks Al, feel free to ask, I am about to start weathering the G, lovely kit!

bob

Bob i didn’t do the zimmerit, My intention had been to try and recreate the Russian ‘how to kill an elephant’ poster which didn’t have it on, so I couldn’t advise you.

When I’ve done it previously I’ve done milliput rolled out thinly and cut to fit.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
thanks Dom, just seen a video using Tamiya putty looked ok, will carry out doing research

bob

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’ve long been doing Zimmerit with simple model filler from a tube (not two-part epoxy) and a modeller’s saw. Just apply it with a spatula and smear it fairly thin, then drag the saw blade across it to create the ridges. Make sure the putty is dry — I don’t mean it should be hard, but it should be dry, which is to say, it isn’t tacky. Also clean the blade regularly and work on small areas, not more than a few square centimetres at a time else the putty at one end of a panel will have hardened too far by the time you get to the other end.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Jakko

sounds similar to the one I have been watching on YT, I have zimmerit stamps so will have to use on scrap plastic. Would I use the stamps when its dry or wet??

bob

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’ve not used Zimmerit stamps, but I have used AFV Club’s roller tool, and I’d say you don’t want the putty to be tacky, because then it will stick to the tool and be drawn up with it.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning again Bob .
I used the Trumpeter marketed stamps, the ones that you rock back and forth. I tried a adhesive as used by a guy on YT, that was :poop:, in the end I seem to remember using Miliput, you can see it on my Sturmtiger Build .
www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/afv-1-35-scale-sturmtiger.30851/
Hope this is of some help , keep the tool clean after each couple of imprints, I kept a hard brush to hand and used that plus water .

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Excellent John, ta very much! Theres a lot of different ideas, so scrap sheet ready!

Bob