tamiya extra thin cement

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
The material safety data sheet for HPLC grade water is one of rhe best. In case of spillage on skin ...............wash off with water.

B

Benhur

Cement, spray paints, knives,airbrushes etc. How do us modellers survive. Maybe I could start a modelmakers insurance company.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Cement,spray paints, knives,airbrushes etc. How do us modellers survive. Maybe I could start a modelmakers insurance company.
You forgot to mention insomnia, amnesia, anxiety, stress, depression, anger, frustration, disillusionment, sexual disfunction, fatigue, poor eyesight and memory loss and memory loss and memory loss and did I mention memory loss I can't remember if I did or not, probably those damned glues have addled my brain!

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
I just found this thread after searching the site and thought I share my current situation with prolonged use of these toxic materials that we stick things together with.

Over the last 12months or so I seemed to have developed a very worrying and most annoying allergy. I'm branding it GluFlu! Sadly, the cumulative effect of continuous exposure has now meant I literally cannot currently spend any time in the vicinity of an open pot of adhesive, without succumbing 12hrs later to one or even two days of really bad flu-like symptoms! So, I’m having to take a step back from any type of construction work! Hopefully not indefinitely!

For anybody who might be interested this all started after switching to both white and green top Tamiya adhesives a couple of years ago. I think the catalyst might have been due to one spillage in particular and even though the mancave was thoroughly aired out and the cutting mat replaced, my nasal mucus membranes must have taken a huge hit and I think subsequent and regular exposure has triggered progressively worse nasty flu like episodes.

Thankfully I can still airbrush (always with a mask), brush paint with acrylics, weather with enamels etc, without issue so, it’s just painting, weathering and finishing projects for me for the foreseeable.

It’s not like I've not got way too many of them

Los

Attachments

• 1718105326605.png
    1718105326605.png
    68 bytes · Views: 5

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
You forgot to mention insomnia, amnesia, anxiety, stress, depression, anger, frustration, disillusionment, sexual disfunction, fatigue, poor eyesight and memory loss and memory loss and memory loss and did I mention memory loss I can't remember if I did or not, probably those damned glues have addled my brain!
No it's the Jack Daniels, at least that is what I blame on a Sunday morning....

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
If you are worried about the fumes, and the Tamiya cement does have an odour, try the EMA model supples 'plastic weld' a 12 bottle box will cost just over £25 and last for a long time, I last purchased some over 18 months ago and still have over half left.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I use too use it but both the smell and headaches stopped me. I now use Ammo extra thin, very good and not so smelly

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
If you are worried about the fumes, and the Tamiya cement does have an odour, try the EMA model supples 'plastic weld' a 12 bottle box will cost just over £25 and last for a long time, I last purchased some over 18 months ago and still have over half left.
They are different solvents (EMA is dichloromethane and TET is an Acetone/Butanone/Ethyl acetate mix) so if you are allergic to one then the other is probably a good choice. In action the TET is a bit hotter. MEK (Butanone) works on its own as well. Used to be sold as MEKPAK by Slaters. If you like TET it may be worth sourcing some and trying it out?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
They are different solvents (EMA is dichloromethane and TET is an Acetone/Butanone/Ethyl acetate mix)
You learn something new every day :thumb2:
I do like EMA Plastic Weld. I also like the VMS cement, both fast and slow versions

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I happen to be on the EMA glue at he moment, it works well.

I'm not commenting on individual cases, but the government website has this to say about MEK (butanone).

"Exposure to low levels of methyl ethyl ketone in the environment, as part of a normal diet or through proper use of consumer products would not be expected to cause adverse health effects."

And for almost all of us, it won't.

It is not a carcinogen either.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I happen to be on the EMA glue at he moment, it works well.

I'm not commenting on individual cases, but the government website has this to say about MEK (butanone).

"Exposure to low levels of methyl ethyl ketone in the environment, as part of a normal diet or through proper use of consumer products would not be expected to cause adverse health effects."

And for almost all of us, it won't.

It is not a carcinogen either.
MEK PAK was my go to for a good twenty five years. Can’t seem to find it now. EMA has very similar properties, but currently I’m using TET, mostly because I had some in the drawer and I find the built in brush helpful. It’s hotter than EMA, but both are good.