Tamiya German Ww2 infantry figure 1/16 scale.

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Hi all,

2nd ever completed figure! Quite chuffed with the results....approx 6 week project that's much improved on the first attempt, I hope you all agree !20211029_125529.jpg20211029_125529.jpg20211029_125559.jpg20211029_125613.jpg20211029_125626.jpg20211029_125637.jpg20211029_125652.jpg20211029_125721.jpg
in spring Wehrmacht splinter camouflage pattern.

Attachments

• 20211029_125545.jpg
    20211029_125545.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Cheers dude; appreciate the compliments ! Was much more difficult than the first figure...

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
You're definitely on the right track. So much better than your first but then you have to start somewhere

Please don't take that as a criticism, the thought of me doing a figure at this scale didn't bear thinking about.....

Again very well done.

Andrew

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
You're definitely on the right track. So much better than your first but then you have to start somewhere

Please don't take that as a criticism, the thought of me doing a figure at this scale didn't bear thinking about.....

Again very well done.

Andrew
Thanks for your feedback and compliments Andrew, no worries at all I appreciate an honest appraisal!

What is your preferred scale, and why? I'm potentially considering a smaller scale for the next project. However, painting a tiny face fills me with apprehension! I prefer a 1/16 scale.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks for your feedback and compliments Andrew, no worries at all I appreciate an honest appraisal!

What is your preferred scale, and why? I'm potentially considering a smaller scale for the next project. However, painting a tiny face fills me with apprehension! I prefer a 1/16 scale.
Sorry just read my comment back...that was a bit harsh....sorry about that.

I'm basically a confirmed 1/72 man - that's why big figures scare me so much! A bit of wash on the face flesh brings enough detail at that scale. That said I am dabbling with a 1/35 diorama at the moment.

keep up the great work.

ATB

Andrew

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Gavin
You've every right to be chuffed. Only your second figure - just think how good your next one will be.
Jim

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Sorry just read my comment back...that was a bit harsh....sorry about that.

I'm basically a confirmed 1/72 man - that's why big figures scare me so much! A bit of wash on the face flesh brings enough detail at that scale. That said I am dabbling with a 1/35 diorama at the moment.

keep up the great work.

ATB

Andrew
No need to apologize mate, no offense taken at all. Yeah I suppose a 1/16 scale face is much bigger plus assembling the arms is critical on this scale, particularly if the subject is holding a gun etc.

I might try a smaller figure one day! G

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Hi Gavin
You've every right to be chuffed. Only your second figure - just think how good your next one will be.
Jim
Thanks for the compliments Jim, much appreciated. It feels kinda strange now the project is finished; I guess the fun is all about physically doing the model. Any of you feel this way upon completion of a figure?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks for the compliments Jim, much appreciated. It feels kinda strange now the project is finished; I guess the fun is all about physically doing the model. Any of you feel this way upon completion of a figure?
I feel like that every single time…..usually I have a bit of a “slump” in the middle where I get a bit bored as well. Usually once I’ve finished a piece it becomes pretty unimportant to me, just going in a cabinet and being looked at very occasionally.
You’ve done a good job on him, by the way, the Camo and face in particular are well executed….what’s the next challenge?

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I feel like that every single time…..usually I have a bit of a “slump” in the middle where I get a bit bored as well. Usually once I’ve finished a piece it becomes pretty unimportant to me, just going in a cabinet and being looked at very occasionally.
You’ve done a good job on him, by the way, the Camo and face in particular are well executed….what’s the next challenge?
Yeah I feel similar to this. During the process of construction and painting I'm in the 'zone' which can be all consuming! I start thinking about the model at work etc, particularly when there is a critical piece of assembly/painting!!
I'm an engineer so I repair complex tooling all day (lots of precision assembly etc) every day; which is why I kinda limit myself to about an hour of modelling an evening, too much close scrutiny/concentration can be overwhelming and confounding! Yeah upon completion I put the model in a display case and look at it now and again thereafter!

Next project I'm undecided. Like Tamiya models plus have got most of their paints so will go with another one of them. I've noticed the Tamiya 1/16 scale range is mostly all German for some reason? I prefer this scale to the smaller figures but unsure as to why, it's just stuck with me.

Thanks for the compliments too! G

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'd agree that it's all about the process, not the finished product. Having said that, I get lots of pleasure looking at what I've achieved in the days immediately after completion.

With the paper models I've built (which take many hundreds of hours, and many months to build), I put them out on display knowing that sooner or late they'll get damaged, and ultimately end up in the bin.

With the 28mm figures I'm painting at the moment it's slightly different. They're for tabletop wargaming, which means they have a useful 'afterlife', hopefully generating oohs and aahs when they first go on the table!

Perhaps you could consider taking up wargaming?! (Although then you'd have to come down from 1/16th scale!)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
With respect to the figures gaming future, I find they just get a “they’re nice, do they get +1 or +2 in melee” or something like that……

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ha ha, too true!

My missus is very accommodating: "That's nice dear, what's for dinner?"

To be honest, the best reaction I get is - right here!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Mate of mine way back used to scratch build railway engines….all his missus used to say was “Oh, another black one….”. Perhaps she thought they came in pastel colours…..

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Gavin

Nice job and bravo for sticking with what is not an easy subject to get right, namely figure painting. I would suggest that you have a go at a 1/10th scale bust. Pick something fairly simple. There are lots of companies that sell them, Young miniatures, El Greco miniatures etc etc. The idea is to tackle something that you think is really difficult, but to take your time, look at some youtube demos and you will find that it is not as hard as you think. This will give you the confidence to try more and more challenging subjects. Below is one of my busts just to give you an idea and if you need any tips I am happy to oblige.

Finished.jpg

John

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I'd agree that it's all about the process, not the finished product. Having said that, I get lots of pleasure looking at what I've achieved in the days immediately after completion.

With the paper models I've built (which take many hundreds of hours, and many months to build), I put them out on display knowing that sooner or late they'll get damaged, and ultimately end up in the bin.

With the 28mm figures I'm painting at the moment it's slightly different. They're for tabletop wargaming, which means they have a useful 'afterlife', hopefully generating oohs and aahs when they first go on the table!

Perhaps you could consider taking up wargaming?! (Although then you'd have to come down from 1/16th scale!)
Yeah have considered wargaming; although I would probably struggle to find the time. I also get why some folks weather the figures and add diorama, but I like to see results. I'm very patient with the painting process (about half an hour per day) but I like to have the project finish line in sight. I prefer to build a single figure, paint it, then mount it and move onto the next one. Not so much into doing a set of smaller figures, just my preference. I've noticed your 28mm figures are most excellent by the way! I suppose the advantage with the smaller figures is minimal assembly, or none at all? The arms and gun mounting position on a 1/16 scale figure can be a pain in the arse to get right! G

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Gavin

Nice job and bravo for sticking with what is not an easy subject to get right, namely figure painting. I would suggest that you have a go at a 1/10th scale bust. Pick something fairly simple. There are lots of companies that sell them, Young miniatures, El Greco miniatures etc etc. The idea is to tackle something that you think is really difficult, but to take your time, look at some youtube demos and you will find that it is not as hard as you think. This will give you the confidence to try more and more challenging subjects. Below is one of my busts just to give you an idea and if you need any tips I am happy to oblige.

View attachment 437599

John

Thanks for the advice John. The idea of painting a bust does actually appeal; no assembly for starters, you can get straight onto the painting! I think I might actually try one at some point. You've inspired me!

Your subject has been flawlessly painted by the way! Top job. G

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Also, can any of you explain why Tamiya's 1/16 scale figure range are almost all German figures? Is it because the manufacturer was one of the axis countries during ww2? There is a range of 14 figures in the set but I find some of them a bit bland to be honest. The subject has to have a good pose and reach out to me a bit, I picked what I thought are the best ones in the set. It would be good if there was a British Tommy or an American GI in the 1/16 range but unfortunately it's not the case. G

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Also, can any of you explain why Tamiya's 1/16 scale figure range are almost all German figures? Is it because the manufacturer was one of the axis countries during ww2? There is a range of 14 figures in the set but I find some of them a bit bland to be honest. The subject has to have a good pose and reach out to me a bit, I picked what I thought are the best ones in the set. It would be good if there was a British Tommy or an American GI in the 1/16 range but unfortunately it's not the case. G
Its not just Tamiya, if you look at any of the 'figure' manufacturers - Life miniatures, Young Miniatures, Alpine miniatures, most of their catalogues are Axis biased, because thats what sells. look at the umpteen versions of Tigers, Panzers, etc compared to British and American tanks.