Tamiya Katana 1100

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I think I messed up posting a reply on Ian's thread :fool: ....... Anyway this is going to be my build. But not quite "what it says on the tin".......

Peter

P

Polux

Waiting what you do with it Peter! It's a very interesting model, good luck!

Polux

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Well I made a start.......... Engine and cylinders are together and I stripped the nasty chrome off the gearbox casings. So tomorrow it'll get paint. First impression of this kit. As with all the Tamiya kits everything goes together well ad the detail is first class............ The road bikes are quite a simple build compared with th GP bikes I've built.

Peter

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
I had a minor crisis last night ........ Sprayed a first coat on the engine and ............ there must be something on the parts I stripped the chrome off that reacted a little with the paint. I'm not sure what it is. I cleaned them off with soapy water after soaking them in bleach, they were rinsed well, well and cleaned with IPA ....... Anyway, this morning I cleaned off the couple of areas that had lifted and gave the engine a coat of black with a brush....... Tonight it'll get a second one.

Also last night I cut the seat down. Removed 20mm or so to take the pillion off to make it a single seat, bonded the tailpiece on with epoxy and dry fitted it to the frame with the tank and airbox........ Some filler and sanding next. Then I can cut the frame up some.

I'll post up some piccies tonight.

Pet

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Ok, So a little progress. Engine is now black, I've chopped down the seat and done the filling.......So now we have a single seat and rear cowl. I'm pleased with that bit......... And I've chopped the back off the frame to suit. There's some scratch building still to do. A couple of lugs on the frame, Airbox surgery and I've still got to work out re-routing the exhaust...... So no paint yet on anything for a while.

And on the subject of paint. I'm still undecided on a colour. Either dark, black or "in yer face" bright colour.

Peter

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Latest Update............. Tailpiece is finished. A coat of primer showed up a few blemishes, a bit of green filler, bit more sanding and another coat of primer. And it's near as dammit perfect.......... Upper frame is cut down and trimmed, Rear Footrests are history. Rear Mudguard has been shortened to fit snug under the tailpiece. Rear light bracket fits under there as well (It was originally supposed to go on the rear mudguard. But that bit isn't there anymore........ And it all fits together.

The rear light bracket in the photo looks askew. It's just sort of hanging on the tape in the photo. It actually fits just under the tail...... and it is straight.

Still quite a bit of tidying on this lot but all the scratch and trimming is sorted................ Next up the engine dry-fit in the frame so I can work on the exhaust.

Peter

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
All the major bits are now tidied up, gaps filled and sanded ready for primer ............... I have decided on the carbon exhaust and my original plan to re-route it is in the bin...... There just isn't any room to do it............... I'm doing away with the front screen and indicators so the fixing holes are filled ...........I think I need to re-shape the front mudguard.

.........and I'm still undecided on a colour. Right now I'm between Satin Black or Gunmetal Gloss with Dayglo Yellow wheels. I've even toyed with the idea of the original "Heron Suzuki" colours White with a Red and Yellow Pinstripe. But I'm not sure how the Katana tank and fairing shape will lend themselves to it.

Peter

P

Polux

I'm not sure if is a good idea the Heron Suzuki colors....but will be better for see the details!! The black color will eat it!!!

It's only an opinion....the sure thing is: it's coming very good so far mate.

Cheers

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
I'm not sure if is a good idea the Heron Suzuki colors....but will be better for see the details!! The black color will eat it!!!It's only an opinion....the sure thing is: it's coming very good so far mate.

Cheers
Thanks Polux ......... So you reckon on the Satin Black............ With or without the white Suzuki Decal?

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
I've been beavering away on this and I have a couple of sub assemblies finished. Carbs (I don't seem to be able to spell carburetur ???), Airbox modification with a bit of scratch-building and exhaust modification is done............ Now I'm on detailing and that's slower going. Just the rear shocks have 4 colours going on ............. But...........

I've finally settled on a colour scheme.

Peter

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
I lost my "Mojo" tonight on this good and proper. First of all I made a right bollix of painting the airbox. It looks like the sort of effort I did when I was 12. So that's gotta be rubbed back sometime and start again........... Thought I'd put a coat of gloss on the rear shocks..... and I realised I've put the decals upside down, so a gallon of miscrosol later they are now the right way up. Next, a coat of clear gloss on the rear brake hanger and disc, brighten up the chrome silver paint....... I then proceeded to use a brush with a residue of black in it. I don't know why because the brushes I use for clear are marked with red tape. Idiot. I now need to repaint the brake disc.

So the sum total of my achievement tonight is fitting two tiny lugs on the front mudguard for the brake lines to feed through.......... I'm quite pleased with that though.

Peter

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Lot of time and hard-work I see going into this Peter sorry bout you mini disaster night but I am sure you will pull it back and it will all be worth it in the end :thumbsup:

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Hi All,

A question ???? ............. I normally use acrylics. But to get the colour I want for my wheels I have to use Humbrol Enamel. Can someone give me an idea on re-coating times ???

Ta

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Things are moving along .............. As we all know I am rubbish with a camera.

All the bodywork is ready for it's first coat, frame halves are painted ............ and all the modifications and scratch parts are finished apart from a few detail bits.

Swinging Arm, rear brake and chain & sprocket.

View attachment 65790

Engine is ready for detailing ....... That's next.

View attachment 65794

and the front forks are "work in progress" The front mudguard is re-profiled .......... and I decided to scratch some fork gaiters.

View attachment 65805

Peter

View attachment 66901

View attachment 66905

View attachment 66916

DSCF2118.jpg

DSCF2120.jpg

DSCF2115.jpg

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Frame halves are chopped down to take the Single Seat Unit and Centre Stand lugs are off........ and painted. I've decided the bike is going to be Black...... Haven't decided yet if the bodywork will be Matt or Satin. We will see........ But the frame, forks and wheels are going Matt....... The inly shiny bits will probably be brake discs and braded hoses (they might get a Matt coat as well) ....... Most of the detail is Gunmetal. I did try Titanium Silver for the fastenings on the frame but it was too much so they are in Gunmetal.......... They don't show up too well in the photo.

View attachment 65806

Peter

View attachment 66917

DSCF2124.jpg

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
going to be interesting to see how this ends up

T

treyzx10r

Peter some nice mods going on,looking forward to seeing the next update!

First Name
Jason
I'm watching intently Peter, hoping to pick up a few tips. I love all of the scratch building. I also like the sound of the matt finish.

Jason