Tamiya Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14 Special Colour Edition

M

mattm

Hi guys,

Im new to this site, Ive just started to build the Ninja ZX-14, first problem ive encountered is the TS-39 Mica Red spray looks nothing like the colour on the box or the cap of the can, its way too bright, has anyone else found this?

Secondly I purchased the Hobby Design chain set, and am having some difficulty with how to assemble it, this is my first time working with PE parts, any advice?

Cheers.View attachment 27571View attachment 27572

View attachment 33410

View attachment 33411

micaredpaint.jpg

hobbydesignchain.jpg

M

m1ks

Re the colour, are you spraying over a primer coat or straight to bare plastic, the tamiya kits are typically cast in a colour akin to the finished box art example and the base colour will have an effect on the top colour, priming gives a completely even base with which to work.

Also the colour may be slightly different anyway, and will certainly look different in different light sources, natural daylight vs energy saving light bulbs, vs ordinary tungsten bulbs vs flourescent tubes and so on and so forth.

If you want a close as possible colour match try zero paints, they do a matched colour set for models but you'll need an airbrush, (unless anyone knows if they do aerosols?)

Re the PE chain set, if there are not adequate instructions with it try doing a youtube how to search, you cna find some really handy stuff on there, i've not done one myself so can't really help with that one

M

mattm

Mica red spray is being sprayed over tamiya White primer. Sprue colour is also White.

Never thought about YouTube so will have a look on there. Cheers.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Red paint I cant help much with. PE: That I can do. I have never done a bike chain before but the principles are the same.

To cut the PE on you will benefit from either a piece of hardened glass or as I use a stone tile. I must be flat and smooth, lumps are a bad thing. At a pinch a laminated surface will do. To cut the PE, as fine as yours are a slightly curved blade so you can 'roll' the curve over the joining tab. For something as small as that I would also consider double sided tape. Try and find a low tac tape and put the whole frame of PE on the tape. This will stop the tiny parts flying across the room and vanishing into the carpet monsters waiting gape!

Might also be an idea to give to fret a wipe with spirit to remove any greasy fingerprints.

As for sticking it together either a good CA or "super-glue". As an alternative you can use something like gator grip glue. This is a PVA based glue, just as strong as super glue, not as brittle and takes longer to dry. For your chain I would go for CA.

I like to get all the cutting out of the way on things where there are lots of parts going the same place. I put them in a mixing dish. For applying the glue I use a needle glued into an old paintbrush handle.

As for building a chain I would imagine it would be lay one of the full chain parts onto a bit of tape with the detailed side down. (we are working on the back) glue a pin into each of the holes.Check to see that they are straight!!! Then put the other side of the chain on. Detail side up. Now for the fun part. Take one of the single links and put it across two ends of the 'inner chain'. Repeat until you are either totally insane or have made it all the way around. Go drink a pot of coffee.

By now the whole lot should be dry. Stick a bit of tape on the top. CAREFULLY lift the whole lot off the bottom tape. Turn over and start again with the single links.

Have fun.

Ian M