Tamiya Lotus 79 and 25 combined build

R

Richy C

The Lotus 25 is well on the way but I`m not following the box art with this one it will built as the car that the great Jim Clark won in at a rained soaked Spa in 1963 , no yellow stripe just yellow wheels and British racing green ,

With the Martini Lotus 79 I plan to build the number 2 car of Carlos Reutemann , with this one I have 2 options for the decals , photos show bodywork and tub dry fitted

View attachment 47758View attachment 47759View attachment 47760View attachment 47761View attachment 47762

Richy

View attachment 50643

View attachment 50644

View attachment 50645

View attachment 50646

View attachment 50647

lotus 008.jpg

lotus 010.jpg

lotus 017.jpg

lotus 018.jpg

lotus 029.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Oh I do like the 25. One of my favourites

Ian M

R

Richy C

The 79 has now had all the chrome bits stripped with bleach and a coat of Halfords grey primer has been given to every thing which will now be left for a couple of days to cure even though its though its dry to handle , the bodywork areas will then be lightly rubbed down and given another primer coat ,

paints that will be used are - Halfords grey primer , Zero Martini racing green , Zero pre-mixed clear , Alclad gloss back base coat , Alclad polished aluminium , tamiya acrylics , vallejo model and air , will also be using various bits from a studio27 pe kit , Hiro seatbelt set , Indycal decals to make the Martini essex version.

View attachment 47791View attachment 47792

Cheers

Richy

View attachment 50675

View attachment 50676

lotus 79 005.jpg

lotus 79 014.jpg

F

funkyrimpler

this looks like its going to be a very tidy project. will be watching with interest..

are you using alclad to replace the original chrome plated sprue parts?? im new to this hobby but have heard of various builders stripping the chrome parts..whats involved exactly?

si

R

Richy C

Hi Si , yes the chrome parts in the kit have been stripped its a very easy method using just cheap household bleach any brand thick or thin it makes no difference , cut the chrome sprue into sections that will fit into a small dish or tub cover the model parts with bleach and watch the magic happen it will disolve the chrome without hurting the plastic , normaly takes about 2 minutes it helps if you turn the part over a few times in the bleach using tweezers , now give the stripped parts a good rinse using warm water do not use hot water it could disform or bow smaller parts , repeat the above until all the chrome bits are stripped , its that easy mate .

With the Alclad - once the model parts have fully dried and been primed a good gloss base is needed before you start using the bare metal or metalic coats , when doing the metal bit I recommend setting your compressor to between 8 to 12 psi as alclad has the thickness of water , when spraying - just lightly dust the part and slowly build up the coats it drys very quickly so its quite an easy job , it can take a little getting used to at first but once you get the hang of it the results can be amazing and 100% better than the pre-chromed bits that come in a kit .

To clean your airbrush you will need cellulose thinners also alclad is ready to go straight from the bottle ,no thinning needed.

If you opt to try this Si I can`t see you having any troubles , for someone new to modelling the standard of your bike builds look superb.

Cheers

Richy