Tamiya Masking Stickers Vs Fluid

First Name
Gary
Whilst I'm waiting for my starter kit Hurricane's varnish to dry I thought I would have a look at my Tamiya Spitfire 1/48.

First reaction was wow...the instructions are so comprehensive. At first glance a bit confusing until you sit down calmly and read them properly. But very different to the starter kit. However, I noticed there are some canopy masking stickers which to me is both thoughtful but fiddly. Or are they ?

Then I thought I would use masking fluid. I appreciate there are probably many different opinions here but what are the basic pros and cons ? I assume you apply the fluid, let it dry, paint frame and then peel off the masking fluid ? It would seem that on tiny shapes like this it may be a better way of stopping paint seeping onto the perspex ?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Interesting point Gary, I've a canopy to paint again due to overspill. If there had been a set of masks I'd have had a go. I have some Vallejo masking fluid, it's ok but it's getting the smallest strings off when the painting is done is problematic.
Hopeing some of the guys have an answer .

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm in two minds about masking fluid & tape. I use masking fluid for windows, as tape is too fiddly for my fat fingers. Pre-cut masks for cockpit canopies - yes, I'd use them every time, if they came with the model, but being a tight old git, I won't buy any cockpit masks!
Fluid works well enough for hard edge curvy camouflage patterns, as does hand, or pre-cut masks. If large areas are involved, it's better to edge with tape, then fill in the middle with fluid. It's easier to apply fluid around compound curves.............
Tape can be very quick, you don't have to wait for anything to dry.
Each has it's own advantages, I would say use both, where appropriate! I'm afraid it is a matter of experimentation to see which works better for you
Dave

First Name
Gary
What a great forum for advice. Thank you all. I’ve watched a couple of YouTube videos and it looks 50:50 as to fiddly scale. I like that Tamiya provide them so in this case I’ll give the pre cuts masks a try. Might use my daughter to cut them out though.

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Gary
A lot of canopy masks are pre cut, especially after-market ones. They simply peel of the backing sheet, nice and easy. Some have to be cut out along the lines. I have never used that type but I imagine a new blade and a steady hand are essential. I would also think that you only need to cut through the mask and not the backing. Someone who has used the cut yourself type will give more advice.
Jim

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I used the pre supplied cut yourself masks on my Tamiya F-14 build. Although easy to cut and apply, I did find they started to lift after a while, I had to keep pressing them back down before spraying. I've not had this issue with pre-cut after market masks.

If I was using them again I would probably use the Tamiya masks as a template and make my own from Washi tape.

First Name
Gary
OK.

I used one of the pre printed masks on the canopy I wasn't going to use, the open one on my Tamiya Spitfire. It worked fine and it took me around 5 minutes to achieve a neat finish on the canopy surround and one internal frame on the same piece using masking tape. What I am discovering is the concentration and really, really, careful pace is one of the main reasons I took this up again. It's teaching me a calm, focussed mentalty and not the crash bang wallop of my teen years. I'm loving it and getting a strange "buzz" out of it already

First Name
Gary
Same here. I'm surprised at how satisfying this is. Spending, what seems like ages, trimming , fitting and painting one tiny piece is, well, wonderful...so far :smiling:. I'm sure I'll have my flat moments like all hobbies but for now I'll take this.

Reactions: JR

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Canopy masks every time for me. Especially on anything that has a greenhouse like a He111. Painting fluid mask onto that would a be a total pain

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Gary. My next build is going to be a 1/48 He111 (voted for by forum members). I bought a set of masks for it as i've done a 1/72 He111 free-hand before and it was a nightmare.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Gary. The kit is the older 1/48 Revell/Monogram He111 H22 kit. Even by todays standards, it's still a cracking kit. I also have the He111 H4/6 kit to make The masks are Eduard and i bought them from Hannants

First Name
Gary
Thanks Alan. I keep forgetting about Hannants. I didn't know one makes masks would fit another makers models. I know logic says they would but I'll bear that in mind

Last edited: