Tamiya Matilda Infantry tank. 1/35

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The main opponent for a Matilda would have been infantry positions, anti-tank guns and other front-line defences. This was a tank intended to help the infantry fight its way forward, not to go off and fight enemy armour — though it did have a gun for taking on tanks if necessary, because of course they would be encountered too. So if you want a tank opponent, anything the Germans and Italians used in North Africa at the time would do. How about an M13/40 or M14/41, or even an M11/39?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking more for what she would have been up against, rather than things that could destroy her!
I think what I am trying to ask is not so much as to what she would have been up against, more what would have been in the battlefield at the time. Bit daft to make a diorama with a piece from the wrong era. All you historians on here would skin me alive!

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Bit daft to make a diorama with a piece from the wrong era. All you historians on here would skin me alive!

Nah Ian, we wouldn't do that.......................

Maybe stake you down on hill of Fire Ants though....................

Prost
Allen

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
what would have been in the battlefield at the time.
If you’re going to make a diorama, may I suggest an L3 (also known as a CV-33, and only to be confused with L7 at your peril ;))? It’s small enough that the Matilda will be the focus, and it’s historically probably more likely for a Matilda to have been up against Italian forces than German ones …

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
AFAIK, though I’ve built neither, the Italeri version is better — probably because of it being an Italian tank, of course :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
AFAIK, though I’ve built neither, the Italeri version is better — probably because of it being an Italian tank, of course :smiling3:
That might explain why I can only fine the Tamiya one here in DK. :sad:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Odd, a few large model web stores I checked also only have the Tamiya kit, not the Italeri one. The retailers that Scalemates links to, also all show it as out of stock. I guess the Tamiya version it is, then :smiling3:

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Not really a British armour fan but that is really nice Ian - I may just relent and try one in a future diorama due to this one! Very nice indeed :thumb2:
Steve

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn Ian,

Check out evilbay (Germany) as there are a few kits for the M13/49 and the M40-75/18 from Italeri for sale and for under €20. The postage would be prob €8 - €12 in the EU. Worth a look maybe if they're not sold yet..........

Prost
Allen

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
That's a nicely finished Matilda Ian. Always thought the Matilda looked like a tank with no wheels and track because of the side skirting and mud chutes. In the Caunter scheme it looked its best.
Opposition at the time would have been anti-tank guns and Italians.

Cheers,
Richard

Cheers,
Richard