Tamiya Me 109 E in 1/48, I need the practice

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon

I think I made a mistake of trying to go to far by building the He 219 in Al's Nightfighter GB, all those seams, panel lines and hatches are doing my head In, never worked on these before so a bit of a shock :astonished:

To be fair Al has been excellent with advice and help, thanks Al :thumb2:

Should have stuck to Stugs and armour :sad-face:

So got this for much needed practice and it was cheap

clarkes 001.JPG
clarkes 002.JPG

so made a quick start on the cockpit sides (not finished yet) and next week as I am back on the sick I plan to work alongside the He 219, hopefully my aircraft skills might improve lol

Otherwise the 1/32 He 219's I have in the stash will be a waste of time :tired:

bob

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s a cracking kit Bob, built it a few years ago. No issues whatever as far as I remember. Great one to build your confidence on, just take it slow and plan what you are trying to do before rushing ahead....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
Why not indeed. Sensible move. Sometimes if we have a kit which is challenging it can sap the mojo - well it does for me anyway. An easier kit is nice to just relax a bit with.
Being Tamiya is should fit nicely and 1/48 is a nice scale for planes.
Jim

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Tim, always like Tamiya kits and all the reviews give this kits a thumbs up, so fingers crossed!

Hi Jim i totally agree about mojo and challenging kits and i am in that very boat!! Hence this attempt to get on with it!! Never have this with a Stug :tongue-out3:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Bob,
Having difficulty keeping up with you and what your building! Now this looks like a nice kit.....fingers crossed it goes together with no dramas :thumb2:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I feel the same Si, a large queue forming :astonished:

I want to branch out into planes so practice is called for also ships, have no time to work, must go on the sick, oh forgot I am lol

Cheers Ralph, trying too :upside:

Got stuck in and almost ready for priming, used Eduard masks and to be fair all parts fitted very well and I do not think I need filler? I have left off the small parts etc

me109 001.JPG
me109 002.JPG
me109 003.JPG

I would be grateful for feedback good or bad, left the seams on the fuselage as I know the Me109 had one so did not go mad with sanding

I hope the finish looks OK?? I can see that there are some areas which need tidying

Now some questions if some kind soul could help??

Before priming, what is best for cleaning the plane ?

I assume you mask along the wings leading edge (I know some jargon lol) to paint top/bottom

Thanks

bob

Attachments

• me109 004.JPG
    me109 004.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 6

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Bob

Can't offer any advice on this given I've only built one aircraft in over 35 years but will be following along to see how you very on!

ATB

Andrew

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon Chris, must have lost the plot lol. So much different to armour! Resisting the tempation to go on a dog fight with one of the moggies:tongue-out2:

Me too Andrew, its another learning curve

B9b

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Bob
Sound facile, but use the same thing to clean a plane prior to priming as you would a Stug.....just be careful around the cockpit area and the canopy masking....I usually use diluted dish soap and rinse with clean water.....
The other question is yes, mask the leading edge....I always have, though some don’t bother....and remember to spray away from the masking to minimise paint build up and leakage.....
Cheers
Tim

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Many thanks Tim, thats the mornings job!

I was told that lighter fluid can also be used??

Much appreciated, bob

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Bob, what a transition from tanks. I thought it might have been better if you started with tank busters as they're heavily armored and rough and tough like tanks. Then gradually move onto the finer fighters. :smiling2:

109 looking good. Just be careful of the wing root as your joint has a little step. When priming do as thin a coat as possible with very diluted primer so you don't leave grains or orange peel when painting the base coat.

The trick to less sanding at the seam is to dry fit and if there is a step to prop up with bracing from the inside until it flushes with the other part. Of course puttying can eliminate the step but you will need to rescribe the hidden detail after.

Cheers,
Richard

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Richard

If i can sort out plane building i would like to build the only jet i like, the American Stug the A10 warthog!

Many thanks for the tips, appreciated

Plan to use vallejo surface primer

Bob

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Scottie, will know after the primer is on :flushed:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looking good Bob. Nothing wrong with practicing on other kits. Glad i could throw some light onto things for you. But don't worry about the GB. You have taken part and shall finish it at some point. There is no pressure on anyone (other than myself) to finish the GB

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening Al, if it looks ok after primer then i can crack on with the 219. So pray mat out!