Tamiya Me 109 E in 1/48, I need the practice

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bob I got quite excited then when you mentioned lighter fluid !
Remember Matron said I need to keep calm.
I wash every thing in a mix of IPA and water ( 30 % IPA ) seems to do the job.
Sorry you are having trouble, if you want real trouble buy a PACE kit. Now that's akin to Dragons distractions but in plastic.
Looks ok to me carry on and you'll surprise yourself , if you can build a StuG you can build a plane !

First Name
Wouter
Oh that's a good looking Messerschmitt Bob, looking forward to see it when painted. I use lighter fluid prior to painting for years now, never had any trouble with it. I do only use Tamiya paints and Levelling thinner, which really bite aggressively into the plastic so maybe it's not that good for other paints, not sure. For me it works a treat.

I'll take a chair so I can sit waiting here for the next batch of photos :cool:

Cheers

Last edited:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi John, thought that might get all hot and bothered lol

Hi Wouter, new modelling room, great news! Good to hear from you, i always use vallejo so will see how it goes:thinking:

Just washed the 109 so will leave to dry until the morning

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Had a nightmare again with using my airbrush and primer, looked terrible, very wet and orange peel so quickly washed off dried then used a can of Halfords plastic primer. I must clean the kits a lot better but never had a problem with armour?? I think it might be my fingers being all over it :face-with-thermometer:

It looks bloody terrible, very close to binning it so annoyed with myself :flushed:

me109 001.JPG
me109 002.JPG
me109 003.JPG
me109 004.JPG
me109 005.JPG
me109 006.JPG

Really shows up my lack of plane building skills, gaps, poor work on the seams and not enough time making sure the fuselage half's where correctly aligned

So back to sanding, filler and a large rap on the knuckles.

I assume the panel in front of the Cockpit should not have a seam, it does now! Appalling work and ashamed to post the photos

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Bob,
Don't beat yourself up aircraft are a whole new ball game. It's the reason I do armour any defects I can cover in mud or stowage.

First Name
Wouter
Consider it part of the learning process. Take your time and you ll manage to set things straight

Cheers

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
thanks Scottie, might have to use pigments lol

Hi Wouter, will burn out my sanding sticks trying to sort this mess out :surprised:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
As the other guys have said, it's all a learning process. I'm still learning and i know i could do so much better with my seam work. Don't knock yourself (easier said than done i know), every time you build a model it's a learning process. I think it looks ok and i think you'll look at it differently with a coat of 'proper' paint on it

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening Al, I need to take more time, especially with alignment, as you say though a big learning curve for me

A Stug has loads of joins or seams but they do not any work :thumb2: