Tamiya or Vajello - different reason for asking !

J

jjflash

OK - so I'm gonna be getting back into the game and am starting with some cars and bikes probably. Now I dont have an airbrush (yet) though this may well change so brush painting it has to be. Now my problem (though it might not sound like one !) is I live on a small Caribbean island and as far as I can make out, sending enamel paints Airmail is a no no unless I have that totally wrong..... so my guess is I have to use acrylics as they can be posted easily being water based.

I can use normal spray can for the bigger areas like bodies and floorpans but when it comes to engine, interiors that sort of thing, which brand will be better or will it not make a great deal of difference given the areas aren't huge ?

Thanks in advance !

Paul

G

Gomer Pyle

Hi Paul !

The short version is: Tamiya for airbrush and Vallejo for paintbrush. Both paint brands are excellent when applied that way, they are rather rubbish if you do it the other way around though.

Vallejo does however also make "Air" versions of many of their colours, and these are sort of intermediate not great in any of the two scenarios but will be OK in lack for better alternatives, plus they have a much wider colour-range than Tamiya.

If you start out with Vallejo model color, and supplement with Tamiya once you get your Airbrush, you'll be fine. Even after getting an airbrush you will still need plenty of good quality brush-paints for detailing.

/Daniel

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have to disagree with Gomer about Vallejo Air - they are brilliant in the airbrush. I have also found Vallejo Model Colour, with the right thinning with Vallejo thinners good as well airbrushed. I have not used Tamiya but I have used Humbrol acrylic and enamel with an airbrush and as soon as I tried Vallejo I dumped the Humbrols.

First Name
Dave
I have been using enamels for years.Brush painting and spraying they are fine.Tried airbrushing with Vallejo Air yesterday for the first time and got great results.i havent tried brush painting with them yet though.And a big plus is i could clean my airbrush afterwards with tap water.I discovoured Vallejo model colour clear varnishes a while ago.These are in my opinion the best clear varnishes i have ever used.I thin them about 50/50 with Vallejo thinner.They can also be thinned with water.

T

tecdes

My experience is first acrylic as enamel is toxic & messy to use.

Acrylic, after 4 months of enamel, was heaven. Started with Revell acrylics but found them difficult to use although this may have been my lack of experience with airbrush & the necessity to thin down dramatically.

Vallejo Model Air. I found so easy to use & provides for me great finish. As Dave W has said so easy to clean brushes etc. If you do use I have found one third thin with Vallejo thinners. They also produce among others Vallejo Model which is good & has been designed primarily for hand brushing & which I use for small parts. Both types have a huge range. The Model Air has just issued another 10 or so new colours & the Model range is huge.

The other thing about Vallejo is they produce just about everything for painting decals & weathering. Go to acrylicos vallejo, colores acrílicos & click on the Union Jack to get English. This has a fund of information on their paints & how to use them. If you email them with a problem they answer within a couple of hours & it is considered advice.

Think I may like Vallejo. Christmas present for me ? No more like a large tin of Sandtex exterior wall paint with an 8" brush.

Laurie

A

andygh

Vallejo modelAir is superb stuff, it's designed specifically for the job

Tamiya is also excellent once you have some experience with thinning correctly

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You can get Enamel paint sent airmail no problem. The big no-no is spray cans as the propellent is classed as explosive.

I airbrush model color from Vallejo and also Xtracrylics and they give good results.

Ian M

T

tecdes

Ian intrigued to know why you use two types Xtracrylics & Vallejo.

As you have experience of the two what are their relative advantages & their vice versa ?

Laurie

J

jjflash

Thanks guys - couple of futher questions then !

Ian - if enamels are no problem in Airmail. would the same apply to glues and solvents etc ? I thought these sort of things would be an issue hence wanting to use acyrlics...? Guess I should be asking the Post Office or courier really but ...

What's the main difference between Vajello ModelAir and ModelColour ?

Cheers

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I can't answer for Ian but I use several brands as well. The reason I use Xtracrylics is that they have very good matches for the RAF and RLM (Luftwaffe) colours that I use. I use White Ensign Colourcoats (enamels) for the same reason. I often fiddle with the colour but both brands provide a good starting point.

As far as the acrylic brands mentioned above,for which I have some experience.

Tamiya spray well but brush badly.

Vallejo does both well

Xtracrylics don't brush very well in my opinion,but not as bad as Tamiya.

Both acrylics and enamels are 'toxic' in a limited sense of the word,enamels just smell worse to most people. I've used all sorts of paints over the years and whilst I understand why many people prefer to use acrylic paints I still believe that enamels ALWAYS brush better. I also think that enamels are easier to achieve results with when airbrushed than acrylics. Once mastered acrylics can give equally good results,they are just a bit trickier and unforgiving.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The reason I use both Vallejo and Xtracr ylics is due to the fact that the Chaps at Vallejo seem to be blissfully unaware that there was a small unit called the RAF!"" Finding a good match is quite a challenge that normally ends up in a cross reference hell. Xtracrylics have the correct colours for the RAF.

I am slowly starting to cross match my own collection. When I get an Xtracrylic colour, I paint a swatch and compare it with the swatch book from Vallejo. As soon as I feel i have things covered, I will put my findings on the forum.

The advantages between the two, apart from the colours are minimal, The Xtracrylic's do spay well and give a nice surface for decal work after, without the need for to much if any gloss coat. They are also a little tougher and take handling a bit better.

Vallejo again spray well and give a good matt finish. Maybe a little easier to clean up, thinking about it. Xtracrylic's can plasticize in the airbrush if not thinned enough or spraying with low pressure.

Just to really confuse you I also use Humbrol Enamels as well. Again its a colour/finish thing. (And I refuse to throw out perfectly useable paint. LOL I Have White Ensign to. They again have the (most) correct colours for the Royal Navy and RAF. Both get used less these days due to the pong factor.

Ian M

B

Brickie

For me, it's less the enamels themselves than the need to wash brushes out with thinners/turps which really whiffs. Also the long drying time. I "grew up" doing Citadel Miniatures, so I'm pretty experienced with acrylics, though it's a slightly different skillset putting them on large, flat surfaces...