Tamiya paint help

U

uncleglenny19

hello everyone looking for some help, I'm about to start my next model and it requires Tamiya AS-3 AS-4 and AS-5 wondering what the bottle equivalent would be, I'm not paying $11 a can must be some similar paint either Tamiya or other, thanks in advance

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Are those not the standard Luftwaffe camouflage colours RLM 74,75 and 76?

If so many manufacturers do a version of them.

Cheers

Steve

U

uncleglenny19

I really don't know thats why I'm asking, I'm still a newbie at this so all the numbers can be confusing

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi again,I just had a look at those colours and they are the Tamiya version of the RLM colours I mentioned. I'm guessing that you are embarking on a WWII Luftwaffe project.

The German Air Ministry (RLM) assigned numbers to the various colours which could be used on Luftwaffe aircraft,that's what I was referring to when I mentioned RLM 74,75 and 76. Sorry if I added to the confusion :smiling3:

If you look online for equivalents to those RLM colours you will find that most of the major hobby paint manufacturers do equivalents. As for Tamiya,someone who uses them will probably be along with the relevant numbers soon.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
A

andygh

Alternatively you could use this

The Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart

Just look for the RLM # and you'll get plenty of choices

First Name
Michael
Hi Glen, the Tamiya AS (Aircraft Spray) range does not, unbelievably, always have a direct equivalent in the X, XF (small jar) range, the logic in this is beyond me.

Here is a chart which shows the Tamiya range in all its formats, you should be able to find something very close.

http://www.hobbyco.net/eComm/docs/Tamiya_Color_Chart.pdf

U

uncleglenny19

\ said:
Hi again,I just had a look at those colours and they are the Tamiya version of the RLM colours I mentioned. I'm guessing that you are embarking on a WWII Luftwaffe project.The German Air Ministry (RLM) assigned numbers to the various colours which could be used on Luftwaffe aircraft,that's what I was referring to when I mentioned RLM 74,75 and 76. Sorry if I added to the confusion :smiling3:

If you look online for equivalents to those RLM colours you will find that most of the major hobby paint manufacturers do equivalents. As for Tamiya,someone who uses them will probably be along with the relevant numbers soon.

Cheers

Steve
No worries I think I'm gonna use the model masters acrylic rlm 74, 75 and 76 cause thats what my lhs has BUT they dont have the thinner :shoot: lol what can i use as thinner for them ? I've heard Tamiya thinner doesn't play nice with the MM paints

First Name
Michael
H again Glen, you're right, Tamiya is an alcohol based acrylic and the thinners will not play nice with most other brands, if MM paint is water based you can thin with water or distilled water (get this at the supermarket) try a little bit of paint thinned with water out on part you are not using or a piece of sprue.