Tamiya paint its been a while

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I am getting my nerves ready to attempt the paint scheme on the R35, looking around I have found almost all the paint i need and its Tamiya so better than wasteing it i am going to use it

can someone refresh my memory as to thinner Ratios and anything to look out for, have not used tamiya for a few years. Gave the paint a very good stir and it looks fine

bob

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Hi Bob

go 50/50 or if you prefer 40/60 cant really go wrong at that, assuming you are using the X20-A

Warren

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
He Warren, yes still have bottle as i use it to fix pigments

thanks for the info

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Another MLT devotee here....but 50/50 or 60/40 thinner to paint is what I use as well. Spray at around 15psi, but I have a side feed airbrush so a top loader may be different...

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Bob,

I'm with the others on 50 to 50 mix, but I have always used IPA and it has worked fine. IPA is a lot easier on the wallet too...........

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I used to use Tamiya exclusively bob but started using vallejo as Tamiya don't offer enough specific colours . The Tamiya paints however always sprayed beautifully , i personally spray at about 30 psi and just thin them till they look about right ( consistency of milk , (full fat !) with their own X20a thinners . Obviously pressures and thinning ratios are a personal thing but the one thing everyone must do with Tamiya paints is stir , stir and stir again . They have a funny alcohol based acrylic formula and the carrier liquid separates out very easily so a good stir is important before every use . Good luck , looking forward to the results , Cheers tony

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks you all

I am moving to lacquer but did use tamiya a while back and seemed as waste of paint not use them on the R35, much appreciated all ;)

thanks bob

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Bob
I think Tamiya plus MLT acts very like lacquer paint anyway.....it will certainly smell the same ;)