Tamiya paint

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
They're alcohol based acrylics. Nowhere near as smelly as lacqurs!
Pete

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Can someone tell me why do tamiya paints have a strong odour.
If you ask me specifically, then I say no, they don’t. If you were to ask anyone else who might come near any of my Tamiya paints, then they would say the paints do smell :smiling3:

Yes, they have a smell, not as bad as enamels but more than some other brands. Buy a bottle and smell for yourself?

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I did, wow they smell to me, much prefer Vallejo, I suppose they have different mixture, anyone care to explain.

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Tamiya Acrylics safety sheet attached
Vallejo contains 1,3-bis (hydroxymethyl)-5,5-dimethylimidazolidine-2,4-dione.

Attachments

• 543318.pdf
    151.3 KB · Views: 4

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Mark....I’ve done this one before
Paint consists of pigment (the colour part), binder (the part that holds the pigment in place, and solvent (the bit that keeps the other two parts mobile during application). Pigment is pretty much universal across all paint. It’s binder and solvent that vary, and as solvent is volatile, evaporating off to allow the binder to works it’s polymeric magic, that is the part that gives each paint the smell we associate with them. In the case of Vallejo and Tamiya one uses an aqueous solvent (Vallejo) and one an organic solvent (Tamiya). Water based (aqueous) solvents are far less pungent than organic solvents such as alcohol and lacquer, hence the difference. These properties have other differences though. In my opinion, Tamiya paint behaves in a much superior way in an airbrush to water based Acrylic such as Vallejo, mostly due to the decreased surface tension of organic solvents over water....

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
It is the trade off. Either you opt for non-smelly, family friendly paint like Vallejo that has issues, or a smelly solvent based paint that sprays beautifully, dries to a hard finish quickly and clings like a limpet to the plastic.

I would suggest that if you cannot have a exterior venting spray booth use Vallejo MA but if you can vent outside use Tamiya or better still MRP.

D

Deleted member 7181

I'm learning so much so quickly here.

Seems like I backed the wrong horse by starting out with Vallejo. I read elsewhere that they were easy to spray so figured they'd be good for a novice modeller like me. I'm really not keen on how they've dried though, they have that slightly soft rubbery texture that we got with first generation automotive waterborne paints.

I may have a dabble with Tamiya or MRP if they are superior. I'm working in a garden shed so venting outside would be a doddle.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Tamiya and Mr Color levelling thinner sprays like liquid silk....the thinner is cellulose though so you need ventilation or masks....not tried MRP, but others (Dave Ward is one I think) have reported that they are very good.
Keep the Vallejo, they are great for detail and figure painting using a normal brush....I use the model air black a lot as it comes pretty much ready to go when I’m blacklining small figures....

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Whilst Tamiya is a great paint to spray i would like to add one simple fact. They have a really rubbish range of RLM colours. Which their colours were as good as Hannants Xtracrylix. If they were i would be a total Tamiya convert. Instead i find i mix and match between Xtracrylix, Vallejo Model Air and Tamiya.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Tim

I only bought a few Vallejo colours, just to see me through my first model, so no great loss if I don't use them much in the future.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Alan
Mr colour paint seems identical to Tamiya in use, that should increase your colour choice exponentially....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Andy
I’m sure you’ll use them In the future, I have around a hundred now.....best acrylics for brushing in my opinion.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I'm really not keen on how they've dried though, they have that slightly soft rubbery texture that we got with first generation automotive waterborne paints.
Don't try to get a good build as you would with automotive paint Andy. Very thin coats are needed, allowed to dry before the next coat goes on. That's one of the things I struggle with, after using cellulose on 1:1 cars.

Pete

D

Deleted member 7181

I'd love to stick to automotive paints Pete as at least I know where I am with those :smiling5:

In fact a few of the guys I've worked with are into modifying die cast and hot wheels cars and they bring them in to work for paint jobs. Not much call for cammo colours in my line though and I doubt a Spitfire would look good in pearl blue.....

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I'm learning so much so quickly here.

Seems like I backed the wrong horse by starting out with Vallejo. I read elsewhere that they were easy to spray so figured they'd be good for a novice modeller like me. I'm really not keen on how they've dried though, they have that slightly soft rubbery texture that we got with first generation automotive waterborne paints.

I may have a dabble with Tamiya or MRP if they are superior. I'm working in a garden shed so venting outside would be a doddle.
To be fair to Vallejo if you let it fully cure it does cure to a good hard finish but it takes time to get there and in my experience it is affected by humidity (a good airing cupboard helps!). But you will definately get better results easier with Tamiya or MRP - MRP win on a wider range of colours so you can avoid mixing (something that cannot be avoided with Tamiya). MRP is also airbrush ready, it is very thin so you dont have to thin it. MRP looks expensive but they are 30ml bottles which needs to be taken into account. You cannot use these with a brush hence my using Vallejo Model Colour for detail brushing over MRP. Works well that way.

I see that Mr Colour are mentioned - these are also very good and similar to Tamiya/MRP. These are in 10ml bottles and need thinning for the airbrush, even allowing for thinning with MLT they actually work out more expensive than MRP. I would suggest trying each of thsse recommended brand and see what you get on best with.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I doubt a Spitfire would look good in pearl blue.....
1969_Triumph_Spitfire_MkIII_Indigo_Ink_Pearl_Mark_Redman_000.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for that Barry, and I'm sorry if I've hijacked the original topic somewhat.

I've just read your detailed review of MRP from a few years back too, will definitely have to give it a try.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Have to admit i like the colours from MRP but the price has always being the factor that stopped me. Never thought about the price per ml though.