Tamiya Panzer IV Ausf.D Help

X

Xarathustra

I'm encountering a problem when putting the hull together, so if anyone else has made one of these they may be able to help?
Looking at the instructions it appears that the front of the upper hull should be flush with the lower hull...like this:

1 (2).JPG

However, if I do this it doesn't fit correctly with the exhaust system:

2 (2).JPG

Now, either I've done something wrong at the back end. Or the upper hull sits on top of the lower hull at the front...thusly:

3 (2).JPG

...which doesn't interfere with the exhaust system at the back. But it does mean there's quite a gap at the front sides by the drive wheels, which surely can't be right...

4.JPG

So I'm a bit stumped with this. I've tried trawling the net for completed model photos...most seem the have the upper hull flush as in the first photograph. I would also assume that that's the right way for it to 'sit' but it's a nuisance it doesn't fit with (what I've done to) the back!

:flushed:

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Evening George.
the hull upper should fit as in your first photo.Here's a photo from FSM showing the rear hull.
DSCN5020_zpsa7813762.jpg
Is the structure on the muffler obstructing the fit?
Jon.

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It could well be that all you need to do is glue at the front, wait for that to dry, then glue and clamp at the back.

Is the muffler glued to the model already? Because this looks like the kind of problem where it’s in the way of fixing it.

X

Xarathustra

Yes, it's the muffler that's causing the problem. I glued it in place (after having done a rough estimate of how it'd fit). I guess I'm going to have to try to 'un-glue' it somehow to get it to sit properly :anguished: although I'm not sure how best to do that!
The only other way I can think of is to cut a bit away from the 'lip' at the rear of the upper hull that's restricting it's correct position. I'm treating this build as a learning process, so I'm not overly fussed if I have to make a few small 'modifications' as I go...but would rather avoid something like this

X

Xarathustra

Evening George.
the hull upper should fit as in your first photo.Here's a photo from FSM showing the rear hull.
View attachment 318040
Is the structure on the muffler obstructing the fit?
Jon.

I've managed to find the same forum photos of that build. This one shows the front:

DSCN5018_zpsa74c9c0e.jpg

...which is not the way I originally thought. If I mount the hull this way (on top of the lower hull) then there isn't an issue with the muffler...phew!
Thanks for leading me down this particular path :smiling:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Tamiya’s instructions are usually second to none, and it would surprise me if they didn’t show exactly how to fit the front plates together. Does it show the upper plate going on top of the lower one, or sitting behind it?

Aha — it goes inside/behind the lower:

10000210z4.jpg
(source)

Notice the arrow for the front of the hull that points to the inside of the lower hull. This model is meant to have a detachable upper hull, because it was also available motorised and so the batteries needed to be changed sometimes, so the hull probably clips into place if you do it right.

X

Xarathustra

Tamiya’s instructions are usually second to none, and it would surprise me if they didn’t show exactly how to fit the front plates together. Does it show the upper plate going on top of the lower one, or sitting behind it?

Aha — it goes inside/behind the lower:

10000210z4.jpg
(source)

Notice the arrow for the front of the hull that points to the inside of the lower hull. This model is meant to have a detachable upper hull, because it was also available motorised and so the batteries needed to be changed sometimes, so the hull probably clips into place if you do it right.

Too late I'm afraid. It's now in place on top of the lower hull. At least the muffler isn't obstructed now...but I do agree, the instructions do indicate that the upper hull should go in as you say.
Even with the upper hull resting on the lower, I still had to do some minor snipping to get the rear to seat properly. I can't believe that I've got the rear panel & muffler assembly that wrong! I looked at it several times earlier today & just can't see how the back panel could go any other way than the way it has. Still...it's been so long since I last built anything like this...well...anything's possible :smiling4:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Oh well, we all make mistakes like this at some point :smiling3: The model won’t look completely wrong, so it’s no big deal — and it teaches a lesson about dry-fitting and checking before reaching for the glue :smiling3: My guess, by the way, is that you’re meant to hook the rear end in place first, then lower the front. This is how most motorisable Tamiya kits work, anyway.

X

Xarathustra

Oh well, we all make mistakes like this at some point :smiling3: The model won’t look completely wrong, so it’s no big deal — and it teaches a lesson about dry-fitting and checking before reaching for the glue :smiling3: My guess, by the way, is that you’re meant to hook the rear end in place first, then lower the front. This is how most motorisable Tamiya kits work, anyway.

I did try the hooking in from the back idea, but there was no way this would work with the plate in place inside the rear mud flap...that & the rear lip of the upper hull would never get around the muffler assembly unless it wasn't actually there at all. So it doesn't make sense which is why I followed the pictures from that FSM site.
I've roughly filled the gap that's there at the front which shouldn't be too visible once the drive wheels are in place.
I'm going to do a (sort of) build thread probably tomorrow... :smiling2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’s an old Tamiya kit, so the sponsons will be open anyway :smiling3: