Tamiya Panzerkampfwagen II for Simon

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

OIP (7).jpg

I thought I'd better get the ball rolling with this. I made the early and very basic Tamiya PZKPFW II kit a couple of years ago, and Simon, while being understandably frustrated at my choice of such an inaccurate kit, was as usual very graciously accepting of the results. This is a newer kit allowing several versions of the types seen in the French campaign to be built. I know many feel that to be true to the spirit of the GB, as much scracthery should be attempted as possible, but that sort of thing is way out of my league and just attempting armour is a big enough deal. For what it's worth the kit does include a pair of etch muffler covers, which is enough to terrify me.

Also terrifying are the sheer number alternatives for each version, making the instructions pretty confusing.

So, the hull and wheels:

100_8486.JPG

Not too many wheels to sand the mould lines off, a tedious job at the best of times.

The tacks are link and length:

100_8730.JPG

(I'm aware that a small length of track has fallen off on the far side - it's in the box).

These went on very well, but I did make a mistake and use one of the alternative, and to be discarded, rear idler wheels on one side. The result was that the tracks were short by just a bolt head, leaving a tiny gap. The tracks were well glued on by the time I realised what I'd done and I was forced to use the same wheel on the other side. The gaps are virtually invisible, and can be concealed by weathering, but I am a bit annoyed with myself.

I've also got hold of some figures:

n35-071.jpg100_8735.JPG

These are one of the few sets of early war German figures I could find in resin, and are by Nemrod. I have a sprue of 1/35th equipment, so the plan is to depict this lot at rest watching the tank pass.

Sorry for the wordy introduction. Later posts will be briefer.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Good evening Peter,
Good to see you tackle a vehicle again. I really liked the Pz IV that you did last year..... so I have no doubt this will also be excellent :cool:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I have absolutely no doubt you will do a great job of this. The figures will be straightforward for a skilled figure painter like yourself but much smaller than your usual stuff. Simon was supportive of all modellers and all genres. Anyone who goes from rusty cars to mad wascally wabbits has got to be pretty open minded :tongue-out3:
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good to see this Peter. I have one of their Ausf Fs set aside for my tribute build. It came with rubber in band tracks, so I in ordered some Bronco AM ones instead.

Keep up the good work.

ATB

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
Well the last one you built as Si has rightly said was excellent, so have no doubt this one will be.

D

Deleted member 6559

Si - Evening. Feels like a long time since I did any armour - hope I can pull it off.

Bob - Yes, I was thinking of going through the instructions with a highlighter. Not sure what version to do as yet. With this kit you need to drill out the locating holes for the different bits and pieces.

Jim - Funny thing is that Simon was, and is, the first person I think of as looking over my shoulder when I tackle armour. As long as I didn't use the terrible Tamiya jerry cans he was happy.

Andrew - I think the idlers I used were for the rubber band tracked version - this is an updated kit with extra sprues.

John - Thanks for you supportive words.

I will finish my Julius Caesar bust before getting on with this and will very likely run it co-jointly with future figure threads.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Go for it Peter, you’ll nail this in pretty short order. Bob‘s advice is sound, plan ahead and mark up what variant you need on the instructions in advance. If the assembly is complex or has a lot of parts, cross them off of the instructions as you add them.

D

Deleted member 6559

Tim - Just finished going through the instructions with a highlighter. The variations are not as complicated as I thought - mainly pistol port covers and the question as to whether to fit the smoke discharger.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Nice change of pace and palette cleanser when the heads get you too stressed with poor finishes.

I am sure you will both have fun and do a great job as you had with your previous builds.

Don't try the figures they will be too small and give you at least headache if nothing else.

Have fun

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Lee - Welcome.

Mick - Hopefully no more mistakes. It's a simple kit, so fingers crossed.

Steve - I think you may be right about the figures, and that they may be too much for my eyes. I have ordered a set of Hornet heads, but whether I tackle any is open to question.

D

Deleted member 7237

Will take a seat and watch please, I like how you do your painting on tanks and will probably lean something normally do. Good luck
Pete

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
The Achilles heal of all tank builders is the tracks. I have only ever built one where the tracks wernt an issue. Like you say once weathered up it will be fine. Will you be using an airbrush or dry brushing everything?. I'm a big fan of your Verlinden style finish on your armour so looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Your a brave man for tackling the figures. I hope you manage to get them done as your past 1/35 figures are awesome. Happy modelling my friend and a great tribute to Simon. He would have been well chuffed seeing you do some armour and the figures.

D

Deleted member 6559

Pete - Take a seat. It won't reach your standard I'm afraid.

Steve - Yes, tracks, who needs 'em? (well, tanks obviously). Reassuring to hear that even someone as skilled as yourself can have problems. I don't own an airbrush, so this will all be brush painted.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 7237

Pete - Take a seat. It won't reach your standard I'm afraid.

Steve - Yes, tracks, who needs 'em (well, tanks obviously). Reassuring to hear that even someone as skilled as yourself can have problems. I don't own an airbrush, so this will all be brush painted.
Peter I wish I had 1% of your skills that would make me a very happy bunny.
Pete.

D

Deleted member 6559

Pete - Mutual fan club then.

Scottie - Feels like a long time since I did any of this stuff. I'll do my best.

Finding it very hard to take photos at the moment, but here is the latest:

100_8752.JPG

The basics of the deck are done and all detail added except for all the tools and equipment which will need to be a different colour- those I'll paint separately. I did make a mistake putting the wrong armoured plate around the drivers vision slit, but fortunately I managed to ping it off and attach the correct one. I've also given the whole thing a coat of Vallejo German Grey, ready for weathering.

I'll tackle the turret next, the interior of which will need to be painted as I go along.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Cracking on as usual, Peter!
Looking good.
I haven't done a tank since my teens. They just don't do it for me anymore, although I am blown away by the detail work the guys on here do.
Looking forward to seeing what you do with those figures

• Sad
Reactions: JR