Tamiya Repsol Honda RC213V

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning all. :smiling3:

I decided it was time to try my hand at a motorcycle, never built one before so why not jump in at the deep end with this.

1.jpg

It's a very nicely detailed kit and typical Tamiya quality. I spent much of the Easter weekend turning this

2.jpg

Into this

3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

So far so good, although the masking of the body panels looks like it will be fun. :smiling3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Not a bike man myself but nicely done so far.

ATB.

Andrew

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
I have only ever built a little 1/35 motorbike but never something like this.
All I can say to your progress so far is WOW! - that looks great.
It's gonna be a striking model with all those decals.
jim

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Done a couple of bikes myself, both tamiya. You've done a cracking job of that engine. Good luck with the rest of the build.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That looks great Bob. I think you could start it if you added petrol ;) They are very nice kits actually. Building one feels just like building a real bike.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Tim. :smiling3:

It certainly makes a change from building cars & AFV'st as there is actually something under the hood.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
not only have you jumped in the deep end, you done it off the 10m diving board!!

have fun, you will find it a refreshing change

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice start ! Those Tamiya motorcycles always fit together well and look great - I'll be tuning in for the build !

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Steve. :smiling3:

Thanks to whichever mod moved this to the correct section.

I've been working on getting the back end completed. First step was the pit stand and swing arm.

9.jpg

10.jpg

Then it was on to the brakes (also got the front disks done at this point), chain, suspension and radiator.

11.jpg

And while I was at it I got some of the body parts glued together, sanded, filled, sanded again and primed. I also got the first colour down on the wheels, these are due to be gloss coated today so I can install the back end to the frame.

12.jpg

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning gents. :smiling3:

Small update on this one, I've been working on getting the remaining parts cleaned up and painted.

I'm using Gravity paints for the panels, first time I've used these and it mostly went OK. I had some paint build up at the masking demarcations, but this seemed to be easily removed with some micromesh sanding. It's most likely something I did, there's always a learning curve with new paints.

I'm currently debating whether to clear coat the panels before applying decals. I'm thinking its probably going to be easier to apply decals with the panels fitted to the frame and a clear should help protect the paint from damage when removing later for a final clear.

16.jpg17.jpg

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning guys. :smiling3:

I started getting some of the painted bits together yesterday.

18.jpg19.jpg20.jpg21.jpg22.jpg

I'm not convinced that the exhaust heat staining is particularly good, it was my first ever attempt at doing this. As most of it will be hidden I decided to leave it.

I still need to do a panel line wash on some of the parts, particularly the brake calipers and handlebars.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s a great build Bob. You are at the really fun part when everything comes together. See what you mean about the exhaust stains. The colouration is great, but there seem to be more joints in the model than in the real one. Never looked that closely at a race exhaust though, so I might be wrong.......

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Tim. :smiling3:

Looking at pictures of the Repsol bike the joints are fairly accurate, I just think my staining is a bit too uniform.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking very good indeed Bob.

Well done so far.

Andrew