Tamiya sdkfz 251/1 (ish)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
muck around with the seats (eduard wants me to shorten the forward two to the same ‘length’ as the bins...not sure how well that’ll go!).
Tamiya’s aren’t the same length, are they? The front seats should in any case be shorter than the rear ones, to seat two vs. three people. If you have a modelling saw and a mitre box, it should’t be very difficult to remove a part from them, though: saw it in half, then remove a bit from one of the two halves, clean up both parts, and glue them back together. You can put a bit of plastic card or sprue underneath to strengthen it or make sure the pieces line up, if you think it’ll be necessary.

I’m assuming the seat covers would’ve been grey as well.
I'm not sure. I’d go for a redbrown leather myself, if I couldn’t find good references on what the real colour was.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
I thought you liked gluing your fingers together Mike?:smiling5::smiling3:
Steve,
I do, I do, but it is so much better when you forget and touch the c/a needle to your finger/thumb without realising and then do about 2 minutes brass bending with a pair of tweezers in the same hand - note to self be carefull when scratching nose or other parts of anatomy...
Mike.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Good idea Mike. I'll have a root through the missus' make-up kit...or something :smiling:
Some if the weeny little 'fasteners' are just too small so I'm going to omit most of them.
George,
Just do not get caught!!! It's a hard job trying to explain the need to apply makeup...:flushed:
Mike.

X

Xarathustra

Tamiya’s aren’t the same length, are they? The front seats should in any case be shorter than the rear ones, to seat two vs. three people. If you have a modelling saw and a mitre box, it should’t be very difficult to remove a part from them, though: saw it in half, then remove a bit from one of the two halves, clean up both parts, and glue them back together. You can put a bit of plastic card or sprue underneath to strengthen it or make sure the pieces line up, if you think it’ll be necessary.

I'm not sure. I’d go for a redbrown leather myself, if I couldn’t find good references on what the real colour was.

Yes they are...

F592B119-C258-44A4-9C96-692A6CFE133E.jpeg

I just threw caution to the wind after trying on a piece of sprue to see which angle the blades of my sprue ‘snippers’ took the plastic away & which side cut cleanly...luckily it worked :smiling:
The cut edges are in the shade enough not to need any tarting up I think.

Glued in place now, I’ll have a think about the seat colour but kind of agree that a red brown colour could work

117278E3-279F-4501-A79B-6649C4415B5A.jpeg

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice update George. All heading in the right direction. Have you had a chance to look at the tracks or wheels yet??

X

Xarathustra

Nice update George. All heading in the right direction. Have you had a chance to look at the tracks or wheels yet??

Not yet Steve...I've sprayed the wheels so they're ready to go pretty much. The track I'm hoping will fit a bit better than on the Panzer IV!! :flushed::upside:

X

Xarathustra

Eduard mudguards, lights & number plates fitted...with some considerable difficulty in places!
Wheels painted & glued in place. Some aren’t exactly symmetrical to the body but as they rotate they should look ok if/when I can get the tracks on.
I’m planning on trying a snow camo effect on this, so what with weathering, I’m hoping all the little ‘problems’ will be hidden from view.

553B4E13-12BF-4D80-BACE-7221233DCECD.jpeg
7D661136-CF0F-4580-900C-CB69F77A7D43.jpeg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Eduard mudguards, lights & number plates fitted...with some considerable difficulty in places!
Ah, I see you’ve really discovered the joys of photoetched parts now :smiling3:

Wheels painted & glued in place. Some aren’t exactly symmetrical to the body but as they rotate they should look ok if/when I can get the tracks on.
As long as the other ones are mostly straight, it’ll be hard to notice on a vehicle with this many wheels.

X

Xarathustra

I’ve bought a set of 4 teeny weeny eyebrow tweezers which should really help bend some of the fiddly bits. I’m not getting that implement that was on anothed thread...yet...anyway :smiling:

Yup. I think the wheels will be ok...it’s thebtracks that worry me. Though I’ve not yet attempted to cross that bridge!

X

Xarathustra

EF2821AE-8DBD-4568-B35D-27B03E16A056.jpeg

Any ideas what I’m supposed to do with #40 (2 ammo belts) on the rearward AA gun?
Eduard seems to suggest I roll it/them up which seems odd as they wouldn’t just hang like that with gravity in place...surely?
There are no ‘drums’ provided by tamiya or Eduard to hold the belt in place despite what the small diagram shows...

I assume the belt would just hang down from the breach

Reactions: PJR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You do see photos of the machine guns on German vehicles with a length of belt hanging down into the vehicle, with no drum to hold it.

X

Xarathustra

You do see photos of the machine guns on German vehicles with a length of belt hanging down into the vehicle, with no drum to hold it.

I may give it a go as long as I can get the belt to stick to the gun!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Drape it partly over the mounting or the hull roof, that gives more places to glue it down :smiling3:

What also helps for that is to anneal the brass to make it softer and more pliable: heat it (for example over a cooker) until it’s good and hot, then let it cool. With brass, you can either allow it to cool naturally or quench it with water — if you do the latter with steel, it’ll harden it instead of making it softer, but brass will become softer with either method.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Usually draped loosely over the gun at least once to take strain off the breach until put in use. Usually manning the gun alone. Jakko makes good points above for additional adhesive areas. PaulE

Reactions: PJR
X

Xarathustra

Winter camo coat on...I’ll need to look at this in the cold light of day to see if it’s roughly what I was hoping for.
I spayed on a Matt varnish prior to the white so as to protect the decals before I rough it up a bit for weathering.
The plus point is that the white hides all the problems I’ve had with this thing! :confused:
Sadly the crew have all ‘perished’ so I’ve got some winter troops on the way...we’ll have to see if they survive my...unsteady painting hand :smiling2:
BC1C9E5E-6719-422D-99FC-D0CFF890EAA2.jpeg66E36001-A5CB-477D-A3B2-04CDE62558DB.jpegB9F00E90-1F63-4A94-89F1-AC534F8D28BF.jpegC13B6546-195C-4661-848E-FF84268B1F3A.jpeg

X

Xarathustra

I decided that the brush strokes stood out too much so decided to give it 2 coats of diluted 50/50 white which I’m much happier with.
Starting on weathering now using a stiff toothbrush & warm water. Pleased with progress so far...I need to try to like this thing & maybe this is just turning the corner! :smiling:

16D64CB5-C3A8-46A0-BE92-B29B214B98FA.jpeg

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
All going in the right direction George. I'm glad you are happy with the way its going. Looks like you are having a lot of fun

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
George,
I second Steve Jones comment.
Some wear and tear on the whitewash should bring it all home.
Mike.