Tamiya Spitfire 1/48

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
I had my eye on one of these.
I’ll keep a close eye on this if you don’t mind.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Those spitfire pilots didn't have a lot of room did they!
I was going to say: there’s a door in the side of the plane for a reason, but then I saw you decided to leave it open :smiling3:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Those spitfire pilots didn't have a lot of room did they!
I had a sit in the one at Hendon, and I was told to take my coat off.DSC05713.JPG
Also had to empty my pockets, since if anything fell out it would fall through between the rudder control rods (there's no cockpit floor as such) and be irretrievable.
Pete

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice start John:thumb2:, I’ll follow along if you don’t mind.

Have the same kit and interested to see how yours ends up. :smiling:

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
I had a sit in the one at Hendon, and I was told to take my coat off.View attachment 345290
Also had to empty my pockets, since if anything fell out it would fall through between the rudder control rods (there's no cockpit floor as such) and be
You are going to have to get used to this weather if you're off to the Lakes. Don't you wish those exhausts were round ?

Yes Colin it does rain a lot up in the lakes.I've already got all my wet gear for wainwrights walks and we intend to do all of them eventually. I think some of the spits did have round exhausts but unfortunately not this one.:fearful:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Also had to empty my pockets, since if anything fell out it would fall through between the rudder control rods (there's no cockpit floor as such) and be irretrievable.
I once read somewhere that for an American fighter jet (don’t recall which one, but probably one of the 1970s–80s ones), there is a special and very expensive tool that's used only to remove and install a couple of bolts in the cockpit — bolts which a normal spanner also fits onto just fine. The reason for the tool is because it will prevent the bolts being accidentally dropped. That in itself wouldn’t be too bad, except if dropped they apparently have a tendency to get in such a position, that when someone gets into the pilot’s seat and drops it to its lowest position, the seat’s rocket will fire …

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
When they first started letting people sit in the Spit at Hendon, one of the staff dropped his security pass as he was getting in. It took 3 days to recover it...
I heard a story from a trustworthy source, that a Harrier was lost following the replacement of something in the instrument panel. A screw was dropped, and during flight worked itself into a position that prevented one of the controls from reaching the position necessary for landing, so the pilot had no choice but to eject.

Pete

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi John, watching closely. Got one of these as well. Hollowing the exhaust coming out well. Good idea to clamp both sides together for drilling.

Cheers,
Richard

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Fast forward again folks 9 months! WIP Went together very well. Under a coat of future ready for decals and a few parts painted up to be added later.IMG_0725.JPG