Tamiya Spitfire IX

P

probot

Hi - I haven't built a model for about 18 years since I was a young teenager and recently decided to start again. A tamiya 1/32 Tomcat started it when my brother bought one for me for christmas which i'll post later but i'm pretty pleased with this effort as a novice. I've got a Trumpeter 1/32 flanker to build and Trumpeter 1/32 ME109 F4 which santa left under the tree to get stuck into now.

hope you guys like the results, all the best, Alistair.

B

Bunkerbarge

That's pretty good for an absence of 18 years. Welcome to the forum and many thanks for sharing this model with us. I think the weathering has come out very well and makes for a very realistic model. Engine bay detail looks spot on and a very nicely detailed cockpit. The only suggestion I would make is to be careful not to get caught out by joints. The fuselage seam in front of the cockpit is a bit noticeable and would only have taken a minute to smooth it out.

If you are this good after 18 years though the 109 is going to look perfect alongside this one.

Thanks for such a brilliant first post with us, I'm sure many here are looking forward to many more.

P

probot

Thanks for the positive remarks - it's definitely one of these things every time you learn a new technique and improve over the previous effort. I tend to prefer models that are weathered considerably and over the next few years that's where i plan to focus on - i guess its going to be a lesson in what materials work and what don't, at this stage for example i much prefer acrylic to enamel but thats just start I guess. I've got the paints on order for the flanker which I think will be the next one I start - i've noticed the trumpeter instructions are nothing like as clear as the tamiya in terms of paint colours so i have a feeling some paint mixing and internet searches are going to be in order. i'll start a post once its under way.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Lovely spit alistair , nice job. looking forward to the flanker, im partial to russian stuff! Check out dereks (Caledonia) 1/32 flanker and MiG 29 , they certainly look impressive when done, he'll probably be able to help in the colour department too, cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well done Alistair,that's impressive for one of the first kits you've built in years. Thanks for showing it to us. I built one last year and it is a fantastic kit.

Good luck with your forthcoming builds,I know nothing about the jets but any queries you have with the Bf109 I may be able to help you with.

Cheers

Steve

Edit,I just noticed a minor detail in the way you've posed your model. You've got both ailerons up! This isn't possible in any normal situation,they'd have to be disconnected from the control system, for maintenance for example. If one is up the other must be down,they work together to rotate (roll) the aircraft around its central axis by forcing one wing up and the other down.

Last edited by a moderator: