Tamiya Sponge Brush

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi all, have really got into weathering models etc, my question is, I'm using Tamiya sponge brushes and wondered how to clean them up after use, at the moment I'm keeping one for each colour I use. Any help?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Mark, as no one has responded I'm guessing to use the thinners that go with the paint you use. That should dissolve the paint residue. I always keep a vessel like a bottle cap and decant paint thinner and wash my brushes in them and dry them on a paper towel. I do not leave them in as that would spoil their point. Perhaps you should do the same so the sponge does not flatten.

Maybe someone else may have your answer.

Cheers,
Richard

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi, thanks for the reply, I do the same as regards thinner and cleaning brushes, my problem was that I was cleaning them with thinner and after a while the sponge bit fell off hence why I'm now keeping each sponge brush for each colour, only use them for soot and dust etc. I just wanted to know if I was doing something wrong, I know theres no stupid question but when you get no replies you do tend to wonder.:thinking:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Mark,
I'm afraid I cannot offer any advice as I have no sponge brushes with the exception of a small sponge in a Tamyia weathering set that never gets cleaned. I hope someone can give you the answer but Richard seems to be on the right lines.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Mark, I'm guessing again that these sponges are basically used for pastel application using Tami's batch of blushes. Just like you find in womens make up kits for eye shadow. I would get similar sponges and cut them to small pieces using a tweezer or reverse forceps(clamps) to apply the weathering. There are now other sharp tipped sponges from AM tool brands from Japan and China. I have a set but still use the traditional method.

Cheers,
Richard

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi Mark, like Paul I also have the same from the Tammie weathering sets.

Have tried cleaning them with only water to get the pigment off but with limited success..
Maybe someone else has the answer to cleaning these brushes, guess the material is susceptible to the common modellers solvents after yours lost a tip.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Mark have you tried mineral spirits or lighter fluid...perhaps that won't dissolve the glue holding the sponge and might remove the pigment residue.

Cheers,
Richard

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi, thanks for the replies, it's like buses you dont get one and then you get half a dozen lol. Anyhow will give them a try with different methods and see how we proceed.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Mark I think its got to do with the time zone. I think you posted around lunch time on Sunday and when everyone gets their own posts in you get shuffled down the line and to the next page. In this age of instant and quick many don't scroll to the next page...old timers are the exception I presume.

Cheers,
Richard

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I second Peters suggestion of soap and water, however I would add that you can get bags of 100 small foam make up applicators reasonably cheap so they can just be thrown away after a few uses

I got some from Amazon but ebay probably has them as well

Last edited:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I second Peters suggestion of soap and water, however I would add that you can get bags of 100 small foam make up applicators reasonably cheap so they can just be thrown away after a few uses

I got some from Amazon but ebay probably has them as well

This, though I get mine from the pound shop. Cheap as chips, bin them after a couple of uses.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
If you can get ‘em for a quid, even better