Tamiya Twin Detonator HELP

A

alan_b

Hi

I bought a new tamiya twin detonator at the weekend and assembled it no problem.

This was my first RC "car" as I am mainly into boats,tugs and subs.

But the RC theory is the same in any field or so I thought.

I now have the problem that I am now on my third receiver??:sobbing:

It is wired up as per the manual and it runs fine for about 2-3 mins then stops dead,

every time it is the receiver that has gone.

The setup is as per the kit and I'm using a hitec 27meg rc unit.

The power for the RX is taken straight from the 7.2v 3300 battery and I was wondering if when the power to the motors is applied, that a burst of power is going straight to the RX unit and blowing it?

Also, not too keen on the mechanical speed controller. Any ideas on an ESC?

Remembering that this is a twin motor setup, I have read two sides on this matter, some retailers say NO and some forum groups say YES.

I was looking at a Mtronik RV MAX ESC.

I would like to get the RX problem sorted first and then look at the ESC

Thanks

Alan

F

foto_choppa

umm this isnt my expertise, but maybe think about adding a resistor before the unit?

A

alan_b

From what I can tell there is a resistor on the tamiya mechanical control unit.

The BEC system in the receiver should reduce the power to 4.8v but seems not in this case.

S

squiffythewombat

Firstly, all Tamiyas new cars ship with the ESC unit not the MECH version (as its shocking)

A tempoary solution would be to run the rx off a seperate battery! You can get a battery box from all good model shops, it takes 4 aa bats and plugs straight into the rx! U can make these yourself if u feel confident, as its very simple wiring!

Also check that chunky fuse to see its condition, could be faulty or maybe a fault in the line somewhere!

As for which ESC is best, im not too sure, im an RC newbie really!

T

tigertc

Also make sure your ariel is not making contact with anything linked to the motors or power circuitry ie, motors linked to hull.

Ariel cable on one of my tigers came loose, touched the alloy hull and was dead within a minute.