tamiya vs revell size

M

Magicadey

I have bought some revell ground crew for a diorama. I have a tamiya anti aircraft gun and im sur ethe figures all look just erm smaller. They are in 1:48

Anyone noticed this?

First Name
Adrian
I had the same issue between Tamiya and some Preiser figures I bought, I was told by someone that its because in Japan the avg height of people is smaller so 1:48th over there is smaller,,, I kid you not that's what I got told , lol

Adrian

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I can tell you that the pilot figure that came with my 1/32 scale Tamiya Spitfire is considerably smaller than other figures I have from several different manufacturers! They all vary from Tamiya at about a scale 5'2" to DMM at about 6'4" :smiling3:

I'm not sure that the modern Japanese people are as small as we sometimes imagine. I haven't been to Japan for quite a few years but when there I was certainly not a giant at 5'9".

Cheers

Steve

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I have noticed a difference in Tamiya figures compared to others, but as I rarely do figures, not that bothered. Besides, we are all different sizes so I think it works well and can add some diversity to a model. I have though heard the same as Al, that they are specific to Tamiya models...probably just a urban myth but you never know.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I have no knowledge of these things so I can't say but I have mixed master box with tamiya and never seen any real difference but it wouldn't surprise me that tamiya would do such a thing

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
That is a big difference Adrian.

Si:smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Maybe 1/32 and 1/35. Didn't Tamiya more or less 'invent' 1/35 scale?

Cheers

Steve

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
You might be right Steve the first time I saw 1/35 was on a box of tamiya figures in my LHS when I was a kid I'd never seen the scale before or recognised the name , that would have been around 1975

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've heard that Tamiya came up with 1/35 because it was a size into which they could fit batteries. I don't know if that is true or just one of those old wives' tales that do the rounds from time to time. An armour modeller would certainly have better insight into that than me!

Cheers

Steve

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
you can real notice the diffidence in size with all mention brands,which some times ,can make things a little hard

to work around, I usually, place the taller ones at the back and the smaller ones in front, and just build there base

up a little,from 3mm to 5mm if needed,

and your right Steve, i saw some think about that at one time,most Tamiya were designed to be workable ;)