Tamiya X22 vs Mr Hobby H-101

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
Hi all,

I using X22 mixed 40ish:60ish (paint:thinner). Has anyone had a good time with Mr Hobby H-101?
To say I am scared of gloss coat would be an understatement; I have finally found a system that works, thanks to a friend, but interested to see if there is anything better out there.

EDITED: I do have a bottle of MRP-48 Super Clear Gloss too

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Best high gloss I’ve found is Zero paints clear coat lacquer. Comes pre-thinned ready for use. Mr hobby with their Mr levelling thinner should be fine, as should Tamiya. I thin around fifty/fifty though.

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
One pass. It gives a real wet look gloss. I only use it on cars and bikes though. If they need decals I will give them one pass, polish it, decal up, then a second pass as a finish. If they don’t need decals then one coat and a polish up with fine polishing compound gets the job done.
Anything that will be Matt varnished afterwards I just use one or two passes of Klear as a basis for decals. Seal the decals afterwards with a coat over the decals only, then Matt down the finish.

Reactions: JR

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I've been using Mr Hobby GX100 recently for car and bike builds, and after a bit of practice have managed to get some very nice high shine finishes. It's a bit of a faff, I tend to put down 4 coats staring at 50:50 and ending with 80:20 thinner to varnish, but the results are very nice.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
If you are just using it for basing and sealing decals then the Tamiya gloss should be absolutely fine Alexander.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Alex, it's laquer based rather than acrylic, and to me seems to form a harder coat which is great if you are sanding and polishing for a high shine. It does of course smell more.