Tamiya's Masterpiece - Their 1/32 scale Mosquito

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
What a result Barry. Which Mossie did you prefer building?
Oh definitely the Tamiya. The sheer quality of the engineering and fit is a wonder to behold. That is not to say that there is anything wrong with the HKM, it was a great build.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
Firstly thanks for the detailed description of your weathering process. Thw Mosquito looks superb. The weathering is subtle and realistic. I have enjoyed following the build and look forward to the final photos.
Jim

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I really enjoyed this build Barry, and well done on an excellent end result.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
All looks splendid Barry. I'm just wondering, why is the camouflage reversed between the Tamiya and HK ? Did one manufacturer get it wrong ? I ask as the HKM version might be my winter build.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
All looks splendid Barry. I'm just wondering, why is the camouflage reversed between the Tamiya and HK ? Did one manufacturer get it wrong ? I ask as the HKM version might be my winter build.
I just followed the instructions and only realised they are reversed when I put them side by side.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Very nice Barry. What was kerosene used for on a Mosquito?

Pete

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The wash is called Kerosene leaks and spills. I use it for fuel as it is derived from petrol. It works.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I'm just wondering, why is the camouflage reversed between the Tamiya and HK ? Did one manufacturer get it wrong ?
It sounds like someone got it wrong. Until April 1941, the RAF used two camouflage patterns on single-engined fighters, one of which was a mirror image of the other, but AFAIK twin-engined planes never had that, and in any case Barry’s models have the colours switched around and not the pattern mirrored. As this colour photo shows:

Mosquito.jpg

… the Tamiya kit is correct, the HKM one has the colours the wrong way round.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
the HKM one has the colours the wrong way round
Nice one Jakko. That HKM is not a cheap kit. You would think they would have made more of an effort on the research front.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Nice one Jakko. That HKM is not a cheap kit. You would think they would have made more of an effort on the research front.
I dont think either of them got it wrong.

I have just been looking at pictures and while the Tamiya style is more common there are examples of the HKM pattern including a box top of the Revell 1/48 BIV Mossie.

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’m having a hard time finding wartime colour photos of Mosquitos to see if the colours might have habitually been switched around.

This one seems to confirm it:

1c1b40229e74dbe15de060--december--colorized-photos.jpg

… but it’s a black and white photo that’s been coloured in, so that doesn’t prove anything. However, on this black and white picture:

1434589282291.jpg

it’s clear that the colours are reversed compared to the colour picture I posted above. The dark areas must be green, as the blue of the roundels is also dark.

So yes, I spoke too soon — my understanding was that there was only one pattern and colours were always applied in the same areas, not switched around as they do seem to have been.