Tamiya's Masterpiece - Their 1/32 scale Mosquito

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
Great progress on this great kit. It is true that you get what you pay for - that is generally a fact of life. Each to their own I suppose regarding this hobby - all are welcome. It is still quite cheap worked out as cost per hour.
I look forward to the rest of the build.
Jim

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks Barry, where's the best place to buy these kits(cheapest I mean? Certain ones I thought you had to order from Japan?)
No they are all available in the UK.

John at Scale Model Shop has one of the 1/32 Tammy Spitfires in stock for a good price (£20 less than I paid for my last one). Hannants of course stock them as do many others.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Some more progress...

Internal detail painting coming along well, I have added some of the internal detailing decals as well
IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

The above are not quite there yet. Got to finish off, varnish and weather before bringing all the subs together adding seatbelts.

Likewise the i.p.
IMG_0756.jpg
Photo not very sharp, apologies. Once I have finished it off I will see if I can get a better pic but this Tamiya system really works well.

Work started on painting the insides of the fuselage halves.
IMG_0755.jpg
Long way to go on these still....

D

Deleted member 6559

Very nice work Barry, this kit really is a thing of beauty. Nice to see that someone else saves his Magnum Classic ice lolly sticks as well!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Very nice work Barry, this kit really is a thing of beauty. Nice to see that someone else saves his Magnum Classic ice lolly sticks as well!
I used to, but then found myself having to eat through three boxes of three Magnums in quick succession to get the sticks, so I ended up buying a large quantity of lolly sticks on-line, enough to last my lifetime for the cost of two boxes of Magnums - as a bonus it will help me live a bit longer too......

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
Looking great. Your skill and patience coupled with a superb kit equals the WOW factor
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I ended up buying a large quantity of lolly sticks on-line
These are sold in quantity at hobby and craft shops. Last time I bought any is probably 10+ years ago, but I just looked, and the bag (of 100, I think) has a €1.25 price sticker on it.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The cockpit is done, the subs all fit as perfectly as you would expect from a kit with this reputation...

I have taken several photos from different perspectives.

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

Does any one know what the yellow circles are for?

IMG_0777.jpg
You can see the 'steel' Eduard seatbelts work well. The thin steel makes them easier to manipulate into position than the stiffer ones Tamiya supply and the older, more complex and stiffer Eduard ones. The paint does not flake off these either. OK, the appearance is not as good as the fabric ones but to use the fabric belts you have to be able to put them together and I have had a 100% failure rate in that..... All in all these steal seatbelts are the best option.
IMG_0778.jpg
Because, of course, the Mossie is largely made of wood you have to be careful where metal chipping is applied and the Uschi metal powders are idea for that using cocktail sticks to carefully rub it is. For the floor I used earth colour AK pigments and I aslo used some brown pigment where I thought paint would rub away from wood. The brown wash helps the appearance as well.
IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg
I have mentioned previously how well the Tamiya i.p. sandwich system works. The best method yet that I have found.
IMG_0781.jpg
I will be fitting the machine guns into the nose area tomorrow. I have painted them but these will not be displayed as I intend to fix the nose into place.
IMG_0782.jpg

This kit is living up to the highest expectations and is a pure joy to build.

The other job for tonight will be to finsih the internal painting and weathering.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
That is a stunning cockpit. I once used some PE seatbelts and although they looked good the paint cracked as they were bent to shape. Really put me off but it sounds like the steel ones are far better.
Jim

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hi Barry
That is a stunning cockpit. I once used some PE seatbelts and although they looked good the paint cracked as they were bent to shape. Really put me off but it sounds like the steel ones are far better.
Jim
They are Jim. I had no cracking at all and are just so much easier to do.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looking very good Barry there's some fantastic detail, I'm very envious of your build. I will definitely have to save my pennies

Last edited:
R

Ranwulf

Looks superb Barry, really nice.

Quick search on the yellow circles

Denotes steel armour plate

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Barry v- nice work an you've made the detail really stand out does the door open in second from last pic ?
chris

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hi Chris. No it does not. You have an option to fix it open with the ladder extended or closed. I decided on closed and also to fit it now before closing up the fuselage rather than later as per instructions.