Tamiya's Masterpiece - Their 1/32 scale Mosquito

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
A masterpiece of model engineering and fit is what it certainly is and well deserves its reputation as the best aircraft kit ever produced.

Here is the box:
IMG_0715.jpg

When you open the box the way it is packed alone tells you that you are in for a treat. Then there is the documentation....

Not just the instructions, in the usual Tamiya style taking you through the complex but not complicated build sequence, a kit made for building it certainly is. But also it includes an excellent colour booklet about the Mossie with plenty of reference photos.

IMG_0717.jpg

There are three pages of photos like this one

IMG_0718.jpg

My first job was to unpack and label the sprues to help identify them during the build. This is really sexy plastic that you just want to caress, clean and crisp molds with no flash what-so-ever. Beautiful to behold. Plenty of close-ups of the plastic will follow in the build so, for now, just a pick of the sprues lined up labelled and ready on the bench.

IMG_0722.jpg

You can see some p.e. and other metal parts included.

I have not posted a bench shot for a while, so here it is, all cleaned up from my last build and ready to cut plastic...

IMG_0726.jpg

MY BUILD PLAN.

This will be out-of-the-box apart from the use of Montex Masks instead of the decals (Tamiya's one weakeness). Masks are easier to use than decals and look so much better in this scale. I expect that I will only use the instrument panel decal and, perhaps, the Polish red & white cheque symbols and some stencilling decals.

I also plan to get some Eduard steel seatbelts that I know are available. I did have some of the fabric ones for this build that I got a while ago but I have put those to one side as I find them impossible to put together and they look no more buildable than the previous failures and I just cannot be bothered to even try, life is too short for that frustration.

IMG_0729.jpg

I will adopt my usual approach, building up the interior detail and engines but I am not one for using the removable panels etc and will only have the bomb bay open and on display, otherwise the aircraft will all be 'buttoned up'.

I will start cutting plastic tonight.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Barry I will be havin a look at the build as I like the mossie from the film 633 sqr an in this scale whats the wing span an length ? so we can get a little idea of the model's size an do you have a chiose of the glass nose as well ?
chris

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I have always fancied one of these but the price has always put me off but I will be joining in with lots of popcorn.

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Barry,

Looking forward to this one, do you mind if I join you for this flight??
Pulled my pew to the back to join the rabble in economy class at the rear :smiling2:
Saved a seat for Mr Race midway above the bomb bay doors !!!! :flushed:

I have not posted a bench shot for a while, so here it is, all cleaned up from my last build and ready to cut plastic...

In between builds could you pop around and sort my bench please, have the HK Lancaster to build shortly and the box alone is bigger than my current free space!!!! :smiling2::smiling2::smiling2::smiling2:

Paul.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
I've read about just how good this is. I look forward to seeing you build it. Plenty of progress shots please. Nice tidy bench.
Jim

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I look forward to watching this build Barry. I'll slum it and sit with the rabble. :tongue-out2:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Parked up me Stug, count me in sir
Looks a cracking kit

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
About time you popped the lid on this box! I have been waiting for EVER. lol
Looking like the den is already getting smaller though.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Chris: No glass nose version with the Tamiya, but HKM do an excellent glass nosed Mossie in 1/32. I built that a couple of years ago

IMG_1485 - Copy - Copy.jpgIMG_1508 - Copy - Copy.jpgIMG_1513.jpg

The Mossie had a wingspan of 54' 2" which works out at 20.3 inches in 1/32 scale.

Peter: Do not be put off by the price it really is worth every penny and provides good value. If there is only one model aircraft that you build in your life then this should be it...

Welcome aboard everyone...

First Name
Dave
I built one in 2017.A wonderful kit.Certainly worth the asking price

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
This is one of my favourite planes, so I have pulled up my chair, cup of coffee in hand ...

Peter

Reactions: JR

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I made a start on the cockpit last night. There really is very little clean up on the parts. Even the mold seam is barely imperceptible and takes just a light wipe with a sanding stick to remove. The kit is engineered to help you with the build. Location pegs of different shapes to avoid fitting a piece the wrong way around is just one minor thing they do.

You do have to be careful about planning ahead for painting given the detail and number of smal parts. It is also clear that I will be using more decals than I thought thanks to a lot of internal placards being included.

Here are a couple of shots of where I am at.

6DC98B07-3B98-4579-AFA4-F2B03237F2FC.jpeg

62C41853-6B39-4669-85E2-1F8D0C424B92.jpeg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
Good to see this started. Sounds as if you are already impressed with the kit quality. Amazing detail on large scale planes compared to the 1/72 I have done.
Jim

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Managed a couple of hours this morning as the Missus is not around!!!

More sub assemblies done for the pit ready to paint.
109EBD2C-F071-4EA7-82DF-707372C9C2B3.jpeg

49FDAAD9-A4EF-4D62-9601-9784E0F1A8C6.jpeg

I will spray a black primer with a view to completing up to this stage, minus the pilots of course, as I do not want them to obscure the superb detail.
8450ED72-5E4F-4F1F-A964-645D711C2937.jpeg

I will make a start on the machine gun fitting while waiting for parts to dry.