Tank track sag ?

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
is there an easy way to do the sag on tank tracks ?

Ive spent most of the night doing this with various glues , it's done it but very messy in places which I can get away with by passing it of as mud but if I want to do a clean build this will pose a problem and I'd rather not spend a night trying to get the glue to stick so any quicker cleaner way would be much appreciated:smiling3:

This is my attept View attachment 105722

image.jpg

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Alan,

If you're using rubber band tracks, I used to put thickish wire (florist), melting through the hull and on top of the track, low enough to give sag but not over the top to look ridiculous, this is then hidden by weathering, hope this helps?

If it's individual links...patients...that's why I don't bother with them!!! Lol:D

Lee :smiling3:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
see your point hear Alan,

as said fine if muddy,but for clean not at all,

I do think that Aaron uses pin things from the inside hull to hold the tracks down and in place,

maybe he will see this one to help out, ;)

D

dubster72

Sag with rubber band tracks is very difficult Alan.

The only way that I've managed it is by tying the track to each idler wheel with monofilament line, doing each one in turn. It works, but it's a fiddly job!

C

chris2681

I can offer two ways Alan. My way is like Aaron's in which I will use a small hand drill used for electronic boards and make holes from the inside of the hull and use pins to hold down the tracks. The other way is grumpa's trick which is to "rough up" the tracks on the inside by scratching with a razor blade and use a mixture of standard model glue and liquid plastistruct glue. Hope this helps Alan.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thanks guys I appreciate the help , I think I'll go the drilling way it seems the easiest way :smiling3:

Thanks for you help :smiling3:

N

noble

What I tend to do with mine Alan is I use 5minute epoxy resin a little added to the top of the guide wheels and the track, then I put cotton buds on the track sections you want to sag and leave them there till it dries, and it dries clear and you only need a small amount. I allow 2hrs till it cures then slowly remove the cotton buds then do the same on the other side, it is 4 hrs of literaly watching glue dry but it is worth the effort.

scott

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
What I tend to do with mine Alan is I use 5minute epoxy resin a little added to the top of the guide wheels and the track, then I put cotton buds on the track sections you want to sag and leave them there till it dries, and it dries clear and you only need a small amount. I allow 2hrs till it cures then slowly remove the cotton buds then do the same on the other side, it is 4 hrs of literaly watching glue dry but it is worth the effort.
scott
Cheers Scott ive been thinking of weighing the tracks down but would cotton wool bud be heavy enough or have I not understood properly?

N

noble

Hi Alan yes it would because you would be jamming them in between the fender sections that run over the top of the track and the track itself so no weight needed.

scott

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Hi Alan yes it would because you would be jamming them in between the fender sections that run over the top of the track and the track itself so no weight needed.
scott
Gotcha ive done mine soon as ive added the track , cheers Scott I appreciate it :smiling3:

N

noble

\ said:
Gotcha ive done mine soon as ive added the track , cheers Scott I appreciate it :smiling3:
No problem, and the track looks nice very natural.

scott