Tank tracks

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi all, am having fun doing these toon tanks however, I want to know the best way and color to paint the rubber tracks to get some sort of realism, I know there tons but want to get it right. Am thinking of another diorama, eastern front of course as this is where my grandfather died.
Just a thought is Matt or semi varnish best on military.
That's all folks.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
For your toon Tiger I? Those were all-metal tracks, which tended to rust soon, so your best bet is probably a rust brown followed by drybrushing inside and out with a metallic colour — not too bright, though if this is for a toon tank then you can probably get away with much brighter metal than on a “serious” model. After that, a wash in a dirt colour will quickly make it look like there is mud and stuff inside the deeper parts of the track.

As for varnish, I’d go matt: military vehicles in wartime tend to be not very shiny. Some vehicles in peacetime, especially just before and after the Second World War, could justifiably be painted in high gloss, but for anything on a battlefield, I’d say matt is the best choice.