Tanks and Terrain, Would love to hear some feedback!

S

Stefan290790

Hi everyone! I have started making a terrain for my 2nd tank im making. Below are some photos of the first tank I ever made, Panzer IV (pieces fell off cause they were small, and did have trouble doing it being my first tank) and a little bit of terrain I made (first time as well, a desert road with sand on the outsides).

Just on a small note, im not trying to do a professional, spending a lot of money kind of job on modeling. This for me is a hobby and love to do it.

Hope to get some feedback on them! Thank u!!!

NOTE: I'm still yet to start the WW1 Female Tank because I need to buy some paint.

Panzer IV Tank and Terrain Piece

View attachment 17257View attachment 17266View attachment 17261View attachment 17262View attachment 17258

Test Piece Terrain for WW1 Female Tank

NOTE: Only a test piece and that little small brown object is a sandbag, I will be adding many more on my final.

View attachment 17265View attachment 17264

Final Terrain Piece for WW1 Female Tank

View attachment 17260View attachment 17263View attachment 17259

View attachment 25209

View attachment 25210

View attachment 25211

View attachment 25212

View attachment 25213

View attachment 25214

View attachment 25215

View attachment 25216

View attachment 25217

View attachment 25218

Photo0056.jpg

Photo0059.jpg

Photo0001.jpg

Photo0003.jpg

Photo0057.jpg

Photo0058.jpg

Photo0006_2.jpg

Photo0051.jpg

Photo0054.jpg

Photo0055.jpg

Last edited:
B

Backbreaker

Thanks for posting Stefan, your off to a great start, the hobby doesn't have to be expensive. For terrain and dioramas I like to use things I can get for free, you just have to look at everything and think what can I use this for.

Joolz

F

Fenlander

Looking good Stefan. I have to say that I think getting desert (Sand) terrain has to be the most difficult to get right especially at small scale simply due to the size of grains of sand that are widely available. The grassy one for the WWI tank looks really good and has nice shape and form, will look forward to seeing this completed.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Stefan, I have just looked at your pictures of your first tank and terrain, you have an undoubted talent that can only get better. Also full marks for posting your first effort, it sometimes takes some doing, well done.

You have a good eye for composition and even at this early stage I can see they will be very good pieces of work.

Like Backbreaker, I firmly believe, as far as possible in 'free' modelling, most things are out there, just keep your eyes open. Your second paragraph sums it up just nicely. If people want to spend big money on modelling that's their choice, it's sometimes not neccessary and as long as you are happy with the result that's all that matters.

A few tips from the cheapskate info center:-

For washes I use grey matt enamel paint, very well thinned with turps and spread over the model, be brave, it works! ( try it on a piece of plastic, scoure it with a knife and holdong the piece at an angle, paint a wash on and watch it run down!)

For weathering try a cheap box of children's pastels, scrape a bit of your chosen colour off one, and apply with a dry brush, job done.

For sand, don't buy expensive modelling sand, get some Budgie grit from the pet shop ( a big bag costs very little) put it through a sieve to remove the bits of shell and sprinkle on the terrain. The perfect scale. We owe this one to Tony(yakface)

I'd better add that superb results are obtained from more expensive washes and weathering stuff, it's just that I am happy with the old fashioned, uncomplicated way...

I don't really know why i've written that last lot 'cos if I'm any judge of an emerging talent you will already know of these 'tricks' and more!

I really look forward to some more pictures, but remember the golden rule....Take your time and have fun!

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi stefan, as ron and the others have said , youve done a great job on your terrain,and as for doing it cheaply , rons your man! The effects you can get for free are amazing and very satisfying, check out some of rons dios and the unconventional materials thread (in quick tips section) , Keep up the excellent work and im looking forward to seeing your finished piece , cheers tony